Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK Head unit or Sony

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 PM
whynotf75
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HK Head unit or Sony

If I add 4 polk speakers and pbr amp along with stock head unit or a sony head unit will it sound alot better with the sony? And should I use 2 pbr 300x2's or 1 pbr 300x4 ? I am looking for some kind of lower fairing's so I can run 4 speakers what kind of fairing can I use is there a cheaper way and do I need the glove boxes in them? thanks for all the info in this thread
mike

Old 05-26-2013, 04:14 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

you won't be able to use the Polk MM series speakers with the PBR300x4 as it's not stable at 2 ohms and the MM series are 2.7 ohms speakers so if you go the route of the PBR300x4 make sure to get 4 ohm speakers such as the DXi or DB series speakers or some other brand. Just make sure they're 4 ohm.

If you go the route of (2) pbr 300x2 amps you'll wind up with almost 4 times the power and you could use the MM series Polks fairing and lowers. Me personally if those were my 2 choices, I'd go the route of the 300x2 amps and the MM651 fairing and lowers. Make sure to NOT get the UM version of those speakers as the grills do not detach.

As for the head unit, by all means yes the sound quality will be much better with any aftermarket head unit over stock just keep in mind if you do that you'll also need either the Biketronics or hawg-wired handlebar control module to retain handlebar controls.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:15 PM
whynotf75
Tourer

Awesome thank you very much, I will go with the 2 pbr 300x2 amps and 4 polk speakers, is there a specific way to mount 2 amps in the fairing

Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

check out TIF2's thread over on the CVO forum. This guy knows his chit and did an incredible job on his side by side install of the PBR amps on top of the head unit.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=70520.0

Old 05-27-2013, 07:54 PM
whynotf75
Tourer

Soo I been looking a the biketronics and hawgwired units to keep the hand controls working, and the HW has this http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.p...th/51/pPath/96

Do I need this set up or just this http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.p...th/51/pPath/95

And the biketronics is different than both of these is one better than the other which would you go with? thanks again
mike

Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

One is a kit that includes the mounting for the head unit, the other is just the handlebar control module. The difference between biketronics and hawg-wired is AVC (automatic volume control). The hawg-wired units do not have the AVC

Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 AM
whynotf75
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
One is a kit that includes the mounting for the head unit, the other is just the handlebar control module. The difference between biketronics and hawg-wired is AVC (automatic volume control). The hawg-wired units do not have the AVC
Do I need that mounting for the head unit ? I think I will go with bike tronics since it has auto volume control thanks again. Also thinking of a kenwood head unit is there any problem going with kenwood

Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

if you're going to change the stock head unit you're going to need a mounting kit to put the smaller aftermarket radio in the larger stock hole so yes you're going to need the kit.

There is no problem with using the kenwood or any other aftermarket head units with these controllers (either one) as long as the head unit has the feature for steering wheel controls. Keep in mind that both BT and HW designed their control modules to be more compatible with the Sony head units so with that said I do believe you lose some functionality with anything other than Sony such as being able to control bass/treble/EQ/pandora/etc. Albeit a pain the *** to get to some of it with the handlebar controls the functionality is still there.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some people have gone with the Hawg wired mounting and the Biketronics controls, the Hawgwired mounting is made better, you may also want to do a little research, there have been mixed reviews on the elecronics of the Biketronics. I don't know about Biketronics but Hawgwired has a universal adapter that allows you to use other brands like Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, Alpine, etc. Also the water cover for Hawgwired is more expensive, but far superior in quality, I know, I have both. I must admit I'm biased toward Hawgwired, but do the research and check it out.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:08 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

also Scosche (these guys have been around a very long time) has introduced HD install kits and fairing adapter rings.

HD7000B Kits

SAHD656 Adapter Rings

Quick Reply: HK Head unit or Sony