Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New system, new troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 03:43 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New system, new troubles

Hey I just put in my new system in my scooter, here is what I have.

HK radio with Ipod
Soundstream PN$ D520 Amp
2 tweeter speakers Hogtunes
2-6.5 165 Focals in the inner-fairing
2-6.5 165 Focals in the lower fairing
2-5X7 Focals in the bag lids.
The Amp is tied into the lower fairing speakers, and the bag lid speakers.

While the bike stood still it sounded great, with the radio on, started down the
street, couldn't even hear it, turned it up, it sounded distorted.

I read these blogs every other day, one issue I saw here was the antenna cable being too close to the speaker wire causing the radio not to pickup properly, I told the guy, that installed my system this, he told me I stay on the internet too much, those guys are full of scheeott!, stay off the internet.
I also told him, we might need to shield the antenna cable to prevent interference, again he said their full of scheeott!
I said Okee, dokee, Now I'm having reception issues, spent all that money on a superior stereo, and it sounds like junk! Ultranutz, jump right on in, can't wait to hear your comments.
Put a CD in and ran it, wow it sounds nice, but the radio is horrible, I'm only 3 miles from a radio tower, that produces 50K watts of power, it still sound horrible!
I don't know jack about how to install one of these systems, but I know what products are good, and which ones are bad!!

Last edited by davidw221; 05-25-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:39 PM
TeeStu
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you still have the stock antenna ??

Old 05-25-2013, 07:00 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What model are the Focals in the fairing & lowers ?? Does the CD have distortion also ?? If so, sounds like the gains aren't set correctly.

If not,.............forget listening to the radio..........

Old 05-25-2013, 07:04 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just re-read your post .............................

Originally Posted by davidw221

No wonder you hear distortion !!

This makes ZERO sense !!! Most of the sound that you hear, is from the fairing speakers.......... For sure, they should be amped .........

Should have used a channel for the fairing speakers, and paralleled the lowers and bags on the other channel.

How long has this guy been doing stereo work ?? YIKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2013, 07:57 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

you need a new installer or at least he needs to open his mind up to a more informed mind-set.

Class D amps are notorious for FM interference regardless of brand. Look at the post by Gone Riding. It lists the ferrite core you need to wrap your main power wire to your amp through and will fix your FM issues.

None of the manufacturers ever dreamed these amps would be sitting close to a head unit let-alone on top of one.

Originally Posted by davidw221
Hey I just put in my new system in my scooter, here is what I have.

HK radio with Ipod
Soundstream PN$ D520 Amp
2 tweeter speakers Hogtunes
2-6.5 165 Focals in the inner-fairing
2-6.5 165 Focals in the lower fairing
2-5X7 Focals in the bag lids.

While the bike stood still it sounded great, with the radio on, started down the
street, couldn't even hear it, turned it up, it sounded distorted.

I read these blogs every other day, one issue I saw here was the antenna cable being too close to the speaker wire causing the radio not to pickup properly, I told the guy, that installed my system this, he told me I stay on the internet too much, those guys are full of scheeott!, stay off the internet.
I also told him, we might need to shield the antenna cable to prevent interference, again he said their full of scheeott!
I said Okee, dokee, Now I'm having reception issues, spent all that money on a superior stereo, and it sounds like junk! Ultranutz, jump right on in, can't wait to hear your comments.
Put a CD in and ran it, wow it sounds nice, but the radio is horrible, I'm only 3 miles from a radio tower, that produces 50K watts of power, it still sound horrible!
I don't know jack about how to install one of these systems, but I know what products are good, and which ones are bad!!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

and I agree with GP.. at the very least you should be amping those fairing speakers. I would highly recommend you either take it to someone who knows what they're doing or we will certainly walk you through the reconfiguration below.

Wire the fairing speakers to the front channel of that amp
Wire the lowers and rears in parallel and wire them to the rear channel of that amp.

If the guy who installed this knew 2 ***** about audio and Harleys he should have know that you want the most "in your face" that you can get.

And I will say this too while I'm on a roll. Not sure who talked you into those Focal speakers but my friend you could have done a LOT better for probably less $.