Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's The Best Way To Go? (Help Please!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What's The Best Way To Go? (Help Please!)

First off I just want to say thanks to all you guys and gals for a great forum!!

I cannot for the life of me decide which amp would be the best for my set-up?
I've decided to upgrade from my BT444 as this amp will not do what I need it to.
Im running a Sony CDX-GT660UP Head Unit and I plan on moving my BT471 TitanII 6.5" to my lower fairings and Installing the BT7P1 in my upper fairing.

Would it be to my best interest to run a 4 channel amp or a 2 channel amp?
Also with so many brands discussed here Im not sure which would be the best way to go? The amps Im looking into are as follows:

1) Arc Audio KS 125.2 BX MINI
2) RF PBR300X2.........Not so sure on the over heating issues though?
3) BT 2180...............Biketronics new 2 channel
4) SS PN2.350D.........Poor customer service and FM signal issues
5) Or one of the Nock Offs of an SS

Ultimately I want an amp thats gonna give me solid, clean, loud, un-distorted power when I crank it and thats reliable!!! Thanks for any help on this....

Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

no issues with the PBR300x2 amp and heat.

IMO the best route to go would be either a 4 channel amp to give you the fading ability but if that's not important to you then I'd go the route of the PBR300x2 and wire lowers and fairing speakers in parallel.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:36 PM
sl33py
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badazzpred
First off I just want to say thanks to all you guys and gals for a great forum!!

I cannot for the life of me decide which amp would be the best for my set-up?
I've decided to upgrade from my BT444 as this amp will not do what I need it to.
Im running a Sony CDX-GT660UP Head Unit and I plan on moving my BT471 TitanII 6.5" to my lower fairings and Installing the BT7P1 in my upper fairing.

Would it be to my best interest to run a 4 channel amp or a 2 channel amp?
Also with so many brands discussed here Im not sure which would be the best way to go? The amps Im looking into are as follows:

1) Arc Audio KS 125.2 BX MINI
2) RF PBR300X2.........Not so sure on the over heating issues though?
3) BT 2180...............Biketronics new 2 channel
4) SS PN2.350D.........Poor customer service and FM signal issues

Ultimately I want an amp thats gonna give me solid, clean, loud, un-distorted power when I crank it and thats reliable!!! Thanks for any help on this....
I tried to find the specs, and am guessing the BT444 isn't stable @ 2ohms if you want to drive two 4ohm Titan's in parallel?

BT444 still goes for 350-400 - so i'd sell and use that towards your upgrades.

Your amps:
1) Arc Audio KS 125.2 BX MINI - $250-300
Power @ 4 Ohms 2 Channels x 70 Watts

Power @ 2 Ohms 2 Channels x 125 Watts
-- I don't know this would be much better than your BT444, except it's 2ohm stable and could drive both at ~60w RMS. Non-Digital = more power and more heat. Great little amp, not knocking it, but Meh... (imo)

2) RF PBR300X2 - $130-150
4 ohms: 100 watts x 2 chan.
2 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan.
-- Great option. ~75w RMS x 4 in parallel @ 2ohms. Cheap and no FM issue.

3) BT 2180 - $400-450
180w RMS @ 4 ohms, ~240w* RMS @ 2 ohms
*per my conversation with Bill @ BT. Not in specs on site.
-- Bit $, but 2 ohm stable and ~120w RMS ea @ 2 ohms! Plug and play, lifetime warranty, made USA, etc. Nice option if you use the money from BT444!

4) SS PN2.350D - $130-150 (also consider Precision Power i350.2 ~$120)
4 ohms: 115 watts x 2 chan.
2 ohms: 175 watts x 2 chan.
--SS and PPI same internals - both may have FM interference. 2 ohm stable and ~85w RMS ea @ 2 ohms.

I'm going to try a Massive Audio BX2 for my brother's setup. Class D (kind of a requirement of mine.). Their NX line was knocked for over rating their amps RMS output. BX is *supposed* to be better, but we'll see! Shooting for about 180w RMS for 2.7 ohm MM's.

A lot depends on your budget! Selling the BT444 would probably help offset the more $ models, or maybe unlock getting a 4ch version of one of those!

a 4ch that can push 4 ohms decently is tough to find. I went with the BT4180 which is more than a little $$($580-650). But 180w RMS @ 4 ohms! If you wanted to do rear speakers in the future (6 total), or separate out your lowers to a rear channel now.

Let us know what you pick and GL!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:53 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior

Hi UN, As for the fading ability I was told by Bill at BT that having fader control is a nice option if I were to run 2 different sets brands/output of speakers because of the dynamics of the 2 but because Im going to run all Hybrid Audio that he said it wouldnt make much of a difference. Also I dont plan on ever running speakers on the tour pak or in the bags. Now correct me if Im wrong but my understanding is I will also get more power out of a 2 channel verses a 4 channel correct? I was looking into SS PN2.350D mainly because of the power it puts out and I have also heard that the RF PBR300x2 or any 2 channel amp when pushed on a 4 speaker wired in parallel will have a tendency to wanna distort? I know its sounds like Im asking for a miracle without spending thousands on a set-up But I like my music really loud/crisp/and clear without any distortion. Maybe a different brand speaker than Hybrids? Give me your thoughts sorry for sounding like Im beating a dead horse............I would also like to get as much bass possible if thats even possible?

Last edited by badazzpred; 05-14-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

hmm.. a couple of comments here.

Hi UN, As for the fading ability I was told by Bill at BT that having fader control is a nice option if I were to run 2 different sets brands/output of speakers because of the dynamics of the 2 but because Im going to run all Hybrid Audio that he said it wouldnt make much of a difference.
Much as I respect Bill I have to disagree with this. Fading and balance controls are used for seperation and balancing of the audio sound stage regardless of what brand speakers, amp, or head unit is used in the setup.

Now correct me if Im wrong but my understanding is I will also get more power out of a 2 channel verses a 4 channel correct?
This is all 100% dependent upon 2 things. 1.) the amount of power you have available to you and 2.) the wiring configuration of your speakers (in a multi-speaker setup). IMO what 2 channel and 4 channel you decide to go with is directly dependent upon what you want your end results to be.

I was looking into SS PN2.350D mainly because of the power it puts out and I have also heard that the RF PBR300x2 or any 2 channel amp when pushed on a 4 speaker wired in parallel will have a tendency to wanna distort?
I believe this to be inaccurate as well. Normally where you see issues like this is either in a setup of wiring speakers in series or if wired in parallel, then they've been run out of phase.

I know its sounds like Im asking for a miracle without spending thousands on a set-up But I like my music really loud/crisp/and clear without any distortion. Maybe a different brand speaker than Hybrids? Give me your thoughts sorry for sounding like Im beating a dead horse............I would also like to get as much bass possible if thats even possible?
Man stop apologizing.. We're all here to help anyone who asks.. I know what's been proven to me and by me personally in my own ventures to be kick *** setups is;

2 speaker
MM651 and PBR300x2

4 speaker
MM651 and SS PN4.520D

The FM issues with the SS amp, hopefully we can get someone to confirm the resolve of the ferrite core use Gone Riding has supplied us info on in his thread in the Audio forum. And to point out, the FM issues are hit and miss. There are lots of folks using this amp that don't have the issues but then there are quite a few that do have the issue.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:08 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think for what you are doing you would be happy with the SS PN4.520 amp. Once you hear how good it sounds with your iPod you won't want to listen to your radio.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:18 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior

@ UN: So your saying if I were to only run 2 speakers go with the RF PBR300x2
If I were to run 4 speakers which I plan on doing go with the SS PN4.520D?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:23 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 1sweetglide08
I think for what you are doing you would be happy with the SS PN4.520 amp. Once you hear how good it sounds with your iPod you won't want to listen to your radio.
Hey 1sweetglide08 Have you had any issues with the SS PN4.520? Overheating, cutting out etc? Also is it small enough to fit in the Batwing Fairing like on top of the HU? Also I do not run an ipod I do however run a USB stick or sometimes a Sansa clip MP3 player and I do like my radio at times as well.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:37 PM
sl33py
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you sell your BT444 for a decent price, it would only be a couple hundred to upgrade to the BT2180. Which would give you 120w RMS each set. I'm hoping to compare my BT7P1's with my brother's MM651's as i really want to see how they compare in mid to low response. (i like bass - not over distorted sound, but tight/clean, hard hitting bass).

And it fits, and it doesn't interfere with FM.

I'm watching the ferrite wrap that Gone Riding suggests. My concern is that the issue is random depending on components in the power supply, so the noise may not be @ 100Mhz every time, so that ferrite core may not help if it's at a different frequency.

...I do like my radio at times...
- i'd be hesitant to go SS/PPI until it's known to be fixed. Or you are willing to chase down some EMI shielding, Ferrite Core or similar, or may combo of both.

GL!

Old 05-14-2013, 04:14 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

@ UN: So your saying if I were to only run 2 speakers go with the RF PBR300x2
If I were to run 4 speakers which I plan on doing go with the SS PN4.520D?
Yes sir...

Quick Reply: What's The Best Way To Go? (Help Please!)