Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's The Best Way To Go? (Help Please!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by sl33py
If you sell your BT444 for a decent price, it would only be a couple hundred to upgrade to the BT2180. Which would give you 120w RMS each set. I'm hoping to compare my BT7P1's with my brother's MM651's as i really want to see how they compare in mid to low response. (i like bass - not over distorted sound, but tight/clean, hard hitting bass).

And it fits, and it doesn't interfere with FM.

I'm watching the ferrite wrap that Gone Riding suggests. My concern is that the issue is random depending on components in the power supply, so the noise may not be @ 100Mhz every time, so that ferrite core may not help if it's at a different frequency.

- i'd be hesitant to go SS/PPI until it's known to be fixed. Or you are willing to chase down some EMI shielding, Ferrite Core or similar, or may combo of both.

GL!
I agree with sl33py as well here. If you want to spend the $ go for the 2180.. it's a great amp and BT was smart enough to figure out the FM issue existed in their very first production run and corrected the problem so FM is not an issue with it.

To answer your other question as to whether it (soundstream) fits; perfectly.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Molarman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The BT7P1 is a 4ohm speaker. If you run the sspn4.520 I think it's rated at 100 watts/channel at 4ohms. The BT2180 is 180 watts at 4ohms but if you run those speakers in parallel you have a 2ohm load and will be getting about 240 watts/Chanel or 120 per speaker. Also with that amp there is no gains to set. It's easy to install and lifetime warranty.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badazzpred
Hey 1sweetglide08 Have you had any issues with the SS PN4.520? Overheating, cutting out etc? Also is it small enough to fit in the Batwing Fairing like on top of the HU? Also I do not run an ipod I do however run a USB stick or sometimes a Sansa clip MP3 player and I do like my radio at times as well.
No problem with it overheating or cutting out. Fitting it is a little tight but doable. UltraNutz has a great link on how to install. It will play great with a USB stick or a MP3 player. For the money it's a nice amp if you don't listen to FM radio.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

it's a class D amp, it's not going to get hot.. As for cutting out, the only thing aside from bad power and ground being supplied to the unit that will make it cut out is overloading it on the output stages.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 AM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So it sounds like I would be getting the most power from a BT2180 or BT4180 than any of the others mentioned is that correct? However it not being a 4 channel no fader control. Also being that there are no gains and or adjustments to tweak on a BT2180 or BT4180 is that such a good thing? You would think that having adjustment capabilities would be to your benefit?

To UN: Do you think that the MM651's are a better choice than the HAT speakers that BT is selling? And do you think they produce a deeper bass than the HAT's?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Here's the deal with these amps and it's been this way since Christ was a cowboy... Look at the old RF Punch 45 amp nicknamed the "cheater" amp in IASCA competitions many years ago. Rated at 45x2 but capable of delivering well over 1000w of power in the right scenario.

There are amps out there that state specs of 100x4 and sound like an amp pushing 25x4. Then there are amps out there that state specs of 25x4 and sound like an amp pushing 150x4. The varying manufacturers of these products have to abide by X rules in manufacturing their products. Those X rules do not govern everything they do in the manufacturing process so the manufacturers are allowed within certain parameters to do things to either make their amps perform much better than stated or it goes the complete opposite direction with under-performing amps.

So with that said, if you look at specs; by all means the BT2180 and 4180 outperform many of the others. However, lets take the PBR300x2 and the SS PN4.520D for examples (as these are amps I'm intimately familiar with).

PBR300x2 - 150x2 @ 2ohms
PN4.520D - 130x4 @ 2 ohms (or 130x2 using only the front or rear channels)
That RF amp at more power, doesn't have the "punch" that the SS amp does. Why is that? It's all in the way the amp's internal circuits are designed and manufactured.

So in the end, it all depends on what you want/expect, what your options are, and what you're willing to spend to get it. Me personally, would never buy an amp that has no gain controls on it. What the manufacturer thinks it should be set at in a 100% perfectly controlled environment is one thing. To assume that it will be installed in that same perfect environment is an asinine thought process at best.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So in the end, it all depends on what you want/expect, what your options are, and what you're willing to spend to get it. Me personally, would never buy an amp that has no gain controls on it. What the manufacturer thinks it should be set at in a 100% perfectly controlled environment is one thing. To assume that it will be installed in that same perfect environment is an asinine thought process at best. Very Well Said...............

That is the reason Im trying to get opinions and feedback from the people who have tried these different set-ups before I make any purchase again on another set of speakers and amp..........As I said previously I want to run 4-4ohm speakers up front 2 of which will be my original Titan II 6.5" in my lowers and another set of either the BT7P1's or say the MM651's in my fairing I just dont know anything about the Polk stuff as in Bass, distortion levels, and reliability? Now with that said as I also stated previously with what I want to do as in speakers what would be the best all around AMP to go with of all that have been mentioned? Im looking for a Loud, Crisp, Clear, with a Good Hard Hitting Bass sound qaulity without any distortion? AMP? Speaker?............Thanx UN

Old 05-15-2013, 11:25 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

you should PM 5time and ask him what he thinks about the (4) mm651 speakers (fairing and lowers) and SS amp that I just put in his streetglide a couple of weeks ago with no FM issues by the way. Blow your mind. As for bass, man I have to tell you.. It will sound great sitting still. You're not going to get bass response out of a moving bike.. Period! It simply gets washed out.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 PM
ep120794
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Ultranutz-

Did you wire those 4 MM651's in parallel?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:39 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ep120794
Ultranutz-

Did you wire those 4 MM651's in parallel?
No,.....and for 2 reasons......

Not with a 4 channel amp,...............

AND

The impedance of the speakers is 2.7 ohms. Wired in parallel, they would reduce the load on the amp below the stable 2 ohm suggestion by the manufacturer.

Quick Reply: What's The Best Way To Go? (Help Please!)