Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a doctor in the house? Paging Dr. UltraNutZ or another Road Glide doctor!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:43 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Is there a doctor in the house? Paging Dr. UltraNutZ or another Road Glide doctor!

I have a 2001 Screaming Eagle Road Glide. I already yanked and tossed the cinder block sized skip-o-matic cd changer out of the tour pak. The HD am/fm/cassette head unit & stock Kraco speakers are next! I have new in the box the following;
RF PBR300x2 amp
JVC KD-A315 cd head unit
Kenwood KDC-MP538U cd head unit
Kicker PX100.2 amp
Kicker PS5250 dash replacement speakers (2 ohm)
HD speaker grills (old ones are shot)

The Kenwood unit has a USB input that will run an iPod. The Kicker stuff is all water resistant. I am wanting to add a second set of speakers, but... I can not find a set of speaker housings for the factory Road Glide lowers. I am considering some of those speaker pods that guy has on eBay for the Chopped Tour Pak, but at $200 plus another pair of speakers, I wanted to see what other options I have. Right now, I only have enough $$$ to buy an adapter/ install kit for the aftermarket head unit. What are your suggestions?

To recap, I can replace my head unit with either aftermarket unit (with the addition of a Biketronics or Hawg Wired adapter), either amp, and the Kicker speakers. If I found a useable housing for a second set of speakers, I could use them with the second amp.

All input welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by yzergod; 04-21-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:52 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

do you have lowers now with glove boxes?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

Lowers, yes. Glove boxes, kinda. It didn't have the factory glove boxes, but I was able to locate one for the right side only.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:21 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Any idea what year the lowers are?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

They are the '97-'02 ish Road Glide lowers that nothing else fits. Thx.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Suggestion: sell everything except the RF amp and the head unit you want to keep.

W/O glove boxes, I don't know of any speaker kit that will work with those lowers.

Also, get a better pair of fairing speakers that will likely require adapters to install.

Bottom line: It's better to have an excellent two-speaker system than a poor 4-speaker system.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 04-22-2013, 06:56 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Suggestion: sell everything except the RF amp and the head unit you want to keep.

W/O glove boxes, I don't know of any speaker kit that will work with those lowers.

Also, get a better pair of fairing speakers that will likely require adapters to install.

Bottom line: It's better to have an excellent two-speaker system than a poor 4-speaker system.

Good luck with your project.

Carl
if memory serves me correct, I thought eglidegoodies.com had a set of speaker pods for these lowers. For some reason I was thinking they had a set of pods that fit 6x9s for these older style lowers.

I agree on the fairing speakers. There's a lot better choices out there. A good choice for that particular amp would be the MM651 Polk Audio speakers

Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. I am definately on a tight budget right now! In addition to buying the SERG, I have been putting $$$ into my Softail. I just bought tickets to the 110th, did the 40K service with cam tensioners on the SERG, need a new tire for the Deluxe, and the warden has been hitting me with the "why aren't you ever satisfied?" speech!

So... right now I have enough to get the head unit adapter/install kit. That's it. Polk MM651's are on the list for sure. I need to use what I have, then will add on with probably a set of rear speaker pods since the lowers look like they won't pan out for me.

Two questions;
1) Will a set of the regular rear speaker pods work with my chopped tour pak? Or will I need to buy a set of those custom sized ones from eglidegoodies?
2) Can both amps fit in the fairing on my Road Glide? or, should I plan for another location for the rear amp?

Since the Kicker amp is water resitant (as are the speakers), I was thinking that I could mount the amp under the tour pak and have it run the rear speaker pods (when & if).

Your thoughts?

Last edited by yzergod; 04-22-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by yzergod
and the warden has been hitting me with the "why aren't you ever satisfied?" speech!
She does realize that you now own not only 1 but 2 harleys right? LOL Endless money pits they are!

So... right now I have enough to get the head unit adapter/install kit. That's it. Polk MM651's are on the list for sure. I need to use what I have, then will add on with probably a set of rear speaker pods since the lowers look like they won't pan out for me.
Man don't let us get you in trouble. We don't have to live with you.. Baby steps.. I've read where a couple of guys, every time they purchase something for their bike(s) it always revolves around safety. Regardless of whether it's chrome, speakers, new seat, etc. Just wrap the purchase around "safety" and that seems to work for their wives.

Two questions;
1) Will a set of the regular rear speaker pods work with my chopped tour pak? Or will I need to buy a set of those custom sized ones from eglidegoodies?
2) Can both amps fit in the fairing on my Road Glide? or, should I plan for another location for the rear amp?
1.) Yes sir a regular set of pods will work fine but I think you're going to find that June's Upholstery on eBay will be a better deal and they're great quality from what I understand. I know Harleypingman has a set or maybe 2 that he bought and he loves them.
2.) So the kicker amp is 4.75" long, 2" high, 3.5" wide. the RF amp is 6.75" long, 1.5" high, 4.25" wide. With these measurements I would say yes both will fit right on top of the radio perfectly fine.

Since the Kicker amp is water resitant (as are the speakers), I was thinking that I could mount the amp under the tour pak and have it run the rear speaker pods (when & if).
Your thoughts?
I would say not to do it unless you absolutely have to.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
2.) So the kicker amp is 4.75" long, 2" high, 3.5" wide. the RF amp is 6.75" long, 1.5" high, 4.25" wide. With these measurements I would say yes both will fit right on top of the radio perfectly fine.
Even on my Road Glide? If so, cool deal!

Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: Is there a doctor in the house? Paging Dr. UltraNutZ or another Road Glide doctor!