Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need install help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 PM
ckef_koran
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need install help!!!!

I have a 2012 Streetglide. I installed a Sony 310 BTX Head unit with a Biketronics kit, Polk MM651's and a SS 520 Amp. Got the HU and speakers installed with no problem. I installed the amp and turned the ignition on. The HU came on but the amp's power light did not come on. I rechecked all connections, radio and power wire fuse. Still no power. The amp is ground to the tripple tree. There seems to be no issues with my connections. Any advice? Is there something that I'm missing?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Where is your REM out wire getting its signal to turn the amp on?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 PM
ckef_koran
Novice

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Where is your REM out wire getting its signal to turn the amp on?
My REM out from the HU is connected to the REM in on my amp. My amp should turn on when I turn the HU on, yes/no?

Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Run a wire from your REM out on the amp to the orange/white wire on the plug that goes onto your headlight. I used one of those blue fold over current taps. Your amp needs a switchable source to turn your amp on and off.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

On second thought, with that HU you might just try switching your REM connection on the amp from REM in to REM out before tying in to that orange/white wire by your headlight socket.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:19 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

you need to make absolutely sure your ground wire is secure. Also did you install the fuse at the battery?

the sony blue/white wire is what's used to turn the amp off and on with the radio. there is also a blue wire that's used for power antennas that ONLY has power when in FM/AM mode.

With those terminal blocks on the side of the amp you also need to make sure that you've got the correct amount of wire stripped back from the end to insert into the necessary terminal.

do you have a test light or DMM? If so check that you have 12v from the ground on the triple tree to the + terminal on the power block of the amp.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 04-20-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 PM
ckef_koran
Novice

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
you need to make absolutely sure your ground wire is secure. Also did you install the fuse at the battery?

the sony blue/white wire is what's used to turn the amp off and on with the radio. there is also a blue wire that's used for power antennas that ONLY has power when in FM/AM mode.

With those terminal blocks on the side of the amp you also need to make sure that you've got the correct amount of wire stripped back from the end to insert into the necessary terminal.

do you have a test light or DMM? If so check that you have 12v from the ground on the triple tree to the + terminal on the power block of the amp.
Thanks for the information. I obviously had too many heinekens while I was doing this install because I forgot to take the radio out of demo mode!! Well at least I now have a multimeter, it may come in hand one day.

Now, can someone tell me how they buttoned everything back up. I have all the wires ran out of the way. It seems as if my amp is preventing the front fairing from going back on.

The amp is pushed all the way back against the speedometer brackets, but it is still seems to be in the way. Has anyone had a problem with the SS 520 not fitting? Or did modifications have to be done on the speedo brackets to get it pushed back further?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:57 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

man I've never had a problem especially with a street glide since there's so much more room inside the fairing to begin with and then with the replacing of the stock head unit gives you that much more room.
The only bikes I've had to cut the trim bezels on the back of the speedos was with the older 05 and back bikes.

Can you take and post a pic from the front so we can see what's going on please?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:27 PM
ckef_koran
Novice

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
man I've never had a problem especially with a street glide since there's so much more room inside the fairing to begin with and then with the replacing of the stock head unit gives you that much more room.
The only bikes I've had to cut the trim bezels on the back of the speedos was with the older 05 and back bikes.

Can you take and post a pic from the front so we can see what's going on please?
Thanks for all your help UltraNutz, I finally got it on. The Polks sound pretty good. Now I'm just waiting for my speaker lids to arrive so I can put these 6 x 9s in. I'm expecting the system to sound great once I add the rears.