Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new stereo set up

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM
casey73
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new stereo set up

well looks like this years upgade for me is the stereo just bought this 07 flht a few months ago, was going to go and get all the chrome covers to replace the polished aluminum, but with all the black stuff the previous owner added on, i think the polished looks pretty good. so i go on craigslist usually twice a day see if theres any parts for my bike on there, came across a pair of Rock 'n' Top speaker lids, painted same color as my bike, with alpine type R speakers already in them ,i kicked the idea around for a few days, and at the price the seller wanted I knew he'd sell them quick. I was back an fourth about dropping money into the stereo, but I knew if i called in a few days the lids wouldve been sold, so i went and bought them figuring I got a good price, if i changed my mind i'd sell them,but at least id have them. Well the idea of selling them lasted about 2 mins after i left the guys garage with them for a good price. Everythings ordered just waiting for it to get here, I picked up some Alpine type R 6.5 speakers brand new in the box off craigslist yesterday. My set up is going to be, HK head unit, Alpine Type R in the Rock'n'Top lids,Alpine type R 6.5's in the fairing , with a rockford fosgate PBR 300x4 AMP. I read alot of different reviews on different speakers and everything so many to choose from, I was between polks and rockford fosgates but i figured id try something different, i talked to an audio guy an he said hes never done alpine all around on a bike, hes curious how its going to sound, but he said i should be a crazy set up.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

dude those Type R Alpine speakers are KILLER! They will handle a GOB of power too.. you done good if the price was right...

Those are some of the best speakers I've ever heard.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 PM
casey73
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
dude those Type R Alpine speakers are KILLER! They will handle a GOB of power too.. you done good if the price was right...

Those are some of the best speakers I've ever heard.

really ? you know anyone with them in there bike ? ive always had nice stereos in my truck, jl,alpine, kenwood, when i talked to an audio guy he said stuffs different when there going on bikes, but when i showed him the lids he said type R's are the best alpine makes, so when i found the 6.5's brand new in the box on craigslist i figured i'd give them a try. Once everythings wired and amp installed the speakers are easy to change if im not happy with them, but alot of posts are about polk,fosgates, etc, i didnt see many posts about people putting type R 's in there bikes. the audio guy said he uses the polks alot, so well see what these things do when i get them installed

Old 04-16-2013, 06:51 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

not on a bike no. The Type R speakers have been around for a while and I've installed plenty in cars and trucks. I would however suggest you find a better amp to drive them with . They NEED power and that amp won't come close to driving them in an efficient manner. Check out something like the Alpine PDX-F4 to drive these puppies.. might be a little more expensive up front but will be worth it...

Old 04-16-2013, 06:54 PM
casey73
Intermediate

really ? the guy i was talking to said the RF amp would be plenty

Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

no offense but your guy apparently has no/minimal experience with this particular amp. If you're lucky enough to get a good one to begin with, it's only 75x4 for a total of 300w. These things are going to want to see real power, in as little as 100 per channel.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 PM
casey73
Intermediate

alright i'll have to look into another amp then, i ordered it yesterday, it had all good reviews and this guy said it would have plenty of power. i dont want to spend a ton,but i did save alot of money on the other stuff so i should buy a powerful amp for them, i want this set up to be as loud as possible hahah

Old 04-16-2013, 07:21 PM
casey73
Intermediate

What should I be looking for in an amp as far as watts and everything to power those ? And I'm sure not every amp will fit in the fairing

Old 04-16-2013, 08:07 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

check out dragonfly cycle concepts. they're doing 30% deal through the 19th I believe and Kevin sells Arc Audio. the XDI804 is $400 and 30% off that would be less $120.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 PM
casey73
Intermediate

What about rockford fosgate t 400 4, I need to pick something up soon bikes going to the shop beggining of next week, thanks for the help

Quick Reply: new stereo set up