Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new stereo set up

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Have to disagree, respectfully of course with UN on the heat issue for the RF PBR300.4 amps. I did return the first one I received within days of the product launch well over a year ago, and promptly got two more that were not at all hot and were installed side-by-side on the HK head unit to drive 8 separate channels--pairs in the fairing, lowers, lids, and pods. Have worked great for a year.

Also, I'm not an audiophile or tech, but 75W of continuos power should be plenty of power to drive a reasonbly efficient speaker.

I'm not saying the SS amps are better or worse than the RF amp since I have no experience with them--only suggesting that the heat issue for the RF may have been an early production issue; perhaps due to the Japanese tsunami that occurred around the time of the product launch.

Also, my buddy TIF2, who is an audiophile and has a super serious audio package on his 2011 CVO SG told me Kenwood is releasing a new, small 4-channel amp very soon. He's ordering one to test out.

You can check out his audio stuff on the cvoharley.com forum. He's a member here but seldom posts.

UN and TIF2 should collaborate IMO.

Carl

Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by casey73
Running, 6.5 alpine type r in the fairing wired to the pbr 300x4, 5 1/4 alpine type r in the lids wired to another pbr 300x4 , with stock hk head unit
So,..................you wanna run 4 speakers with 8 channels ????

Casey ,.........you haven't been paying attention. If you only have 4 speakers, get the SS amp.

You need to get this 'system' all figured out, BEFORE you get this thing tore down. What does your 'guy' recommend ???

Old 04-19-2013, 05:12 AM
casey73
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason I have the 5.25 speakers in the lids, is because I bought rock n top lids painted the same color as my bike with the type r 's already in them for $450, the reason I'm goin to run 2 amps is because the speakers have a high rms, the pbr 300x4 would provide enough for both but just a little under what they could take, so for $145, instead of going to buy a $500 amp to power these I'm going to run 2, and not have under powering issues, I'm. Trying out the 6:5 alpines because I got them for $70 brand new in the box, so if there not so great I'll sell them and get my money back if not more,and upgrade to hertz.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:36 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

HPM.. no agreeing or disagreeing sir.. I'll be the first to admit my way is not the best way nor am I always right. Matter of fact most of the time I'm wrong, ask my wife! LOL

But seriously, I whole heartedly agree that it may have been simply a bad batch for underlying reasons and I hope that they've gotten it corrected. I've, since the early 80s ALWAYS been a RF fan and still am. You're also 100% correct on the power but where I was going with this was the low sensitivity ratings of the speakers being 88db. That's going to take some power to make sound good and then still with 5.25" speakers in the lids, that's a futile effort IMO espcially with 75w. And yes sir SS has it's share of issues obviously with what's been brought to light on the PN4.520D with FM and bridging but still a great amp in normal wiring configurations. I don't care about FM, some do, but I will certainly be riding the tail of SS to get this resolved. Bridging issues well I've learned my lesson and have halted, at least for the time being, in doing.recommending this configuration until we figure out what's happening. Still think it's a wiring configuration issue on SS's part.

Sounds like I need to go check out TIF2 on CVOHarley. Always like discussing/debating audio issues and technology with other like-minded folks whether audiophiles or not.

As always HPM, thank you for your input sir. Valuable to me and to others as well.

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Have to disagree, respectfully of course with UN on the heat issue for the RF PBR300.4 amps. I did return the first one I received within days of the product launch well over a year ago, and promptly got two more that were not at all hot and were installed side-by-side on the HK head unit to drive 8 separate channels--pairs in the fairing, lowers, lids, and pods. Have worked great for a year.

Also, I'm not an audiophile or tech, but 75W of continuos power should be plenty of power to drive a reasonbly efficient speaker.

I'm not saying the SS amps are better or worse than the RF amp since I have no experience with them--only suggesting that the heat issue for the RF may have been an early production issue; perhaps due to the Japanese tsunami that occurred around the time of the product launch.

Also, my buddy TIF2, who is an audiophile and has a super serious audio package on his 2011 CVO SG told me Kenwood is releasing a new, small 4-channel amp very soon. He's ordering one to test out.

You can check out his audio stuff on the cvoharley.com forum. He's a member here but seldom posts.

UN and TIF2 should collaborate IMO.

Carl

Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by casey73
The only reason I have the 5.25 speakers in the lids, is because I bought rock n top lids painted the same color as my bike with the type r 's already in them for $450, the reason I'm goin to run 2 amps is because the speakers have a high rms, the pbr 300x4 would provide enough for both but just a little under what they could take, so for $145, instead of going to buy a $500 amp to power these I'm going to run 2, and not have under powering issues, I'm. Trying out the 6:5 alpines because I got them for $70 brand new in the box, so if there not so great I'll sell them and get my money back if not more,and upgrade to hertz.
On the Hertz, I have no doubt at some point you'll upgrade so make sure when you do, that you buy from an authorized hertz dealer. There are knockoffs out there being sold as hertz products and other authentic hertz speakers being sold without serial numbers so be careful with that. Great speaker by the way and one of the best I've heard.

Who says you need to buy a $500 amp to power this? IMO you're doing exactly what you state you're not doing. Underpowering your setup. 2 of those amps IMO is useless unless you're planning on adding 4 more speakers to complete an 8 channel setup. You'll get the same results from 1 as you will from 2 in the setup you talk about above. That particular amp is NOT bridgeable so you're stuck with the 75x4.

I don't have any experience with the rockntop product but the site states that those rokker 7.25" will fit in there. Take a look at Biketronic's new 7.1 HAT speaker. Very impressive but again, requires some power.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 AM
smkinnan
Advanced

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
On the Hertz, I have no doubt at some point you'll upgrade so make sure when you do, that you buy from an authorized hertz dealer. There are knockoffs out there being sold as hertz products and other authentic hertz speakers being sold without serial numbers so be careful with that. Great speaker by the way and one of the best I've heard.

Who says you need to buy a $500 amp to power this? IMO you're doing exactly what you state you're not doing. Underpowering your setup. 2 of those amps IMO is useless unless you're planning on adding 4 more speakers to complete an 8 channel setup. You'll get the same results from 1 as you will from 2 in the setup you talk about above. That particular amp is NOT bridgeable so you're stuck with the 75x4.

I don't have any experience with the rockntop product but the site states that those rokker 7.25" will fit in there. Take a look at Biketronic's new 7.1 HAT speaker. Very impressive but again, requires some power.
I'll tell you what hertz.....$500 amps

Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

UN,

You will like TIF2--exceptionally generous man and very skilled. Also, he's not "in the business" so to speak, so he isn't promoting any particular product.

My favorite story about him, and I have many concerning audio, is that he bought a pair of HD's saddlebag lid speakers just so he could remove the bridge used to mount the tweeter so he could use the bridge to mount JL tweeters in his HD saddlebag lids.

Carl

Old 04-19-2013, 10:32 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

yeah been over there reading his posts.. sharp guy to say the least.. and yes that HD saddlebag story is one of the posts I stumbled upon, read and I'm like WTF! That was one expensive piece of plastic.. LOL

and just to clear the air here too.. I'm not in the business either. I'm a 26 year IT guy that builds network infrastructures

Old 04-23-2013, 06:00 PM
casey73
Intermediate

So the bikes stilll in thhe shop while the bags were off I'm havin the rear tire and brakes done, I saw it last night fairing apart tank off seat off, so the second 300x4 came in, I've been reading about amps an speakers an everything, obviously everyone has different opinions. I planned on running the amps on 2 channel, so I was figuring the 4 channel amp set at 2 channel would be double the power, I've read yes and no, so I. Figured id call a few certified RF dealers, of couse, one place says yes one place says no just my luck, I was looking in the manual, and online still nothing. So if these don't run double the power at 2 channel, I'm looking into returning them for the 2. 300x2. All the wires are ran so its not a big deal to replace the amps, has anyone ran the 300/4 on 2 and can tell a difference..... the 300/4 is 75x4, the 300x2 is 100x2 at 4 ohms, alpine type r's are 4 ohm.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

man you're wasting time and money with these amps. They are 75x4 and that's it. You can't bridge them, you can't do anything else with them but run either 2 channels or 4 channels at a 4 ohm load and you're going to wind up with 75x2 or 75x4, period.

You're better off either running all 4 speakers on 1 amp or replacing them both with the PBR300x2 amps, 1 front, 1 rear.

Quick Reply: new stereo set up