Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headunits, Steering Wheel Remote Control and SiriusXM

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 AM
smkinnan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headunits, Steering Wheel Remote Control and SiriusXM

OK, first off....I just wanted to pump my listening pleasure on my SG and opened a real can of worms in the process. All I wanted was a head unit capable of having SiriusXM (as I feel FM sucks and occasionally I would rather not listen to my i-device) along with whatever else is available technology wise these days.

So, based on a recommendation here I purchased an Alpine CDE-124SXM2 head unit. Being a novice at all of this my happy dumb *** got everything installed, only to realized that there isn't a "Steering Wheel Remote Control" port on the back of the HU.

Therefore, for those of you like me who didn't know, none of my steering wheel controls work. Pretty dangerous and an extreme pain in the *** to control the stupid thing like it is. I bought the Biketronics BT1005 adapter kit thinking this was all I'd need. If it was mentioned here I must have completely missed the need to have a HU that has this remote control port.

So, now I have the BT-1005 kit, a USED Alpine CDE-124SXM radio (with plastic from the Biketronics kit stuck to the top of it) and no idea what to get next.

I don't want to make yet another $200 mistake. Do you guys have any suggestions about what I can get that has SiriusXM AND will work with my BT-1005 kit? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,955 Likes on 19,385 Posts

I just couldn't resist .... Maybe you should get a steering wheel to replace the handlebars ??? ...... Seriously though, "Ultranutz" is one of the resident audiophiles on this site ... You should/could check with him for suggestions.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM
smkinnan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I just couldn't resist .... Maybe you should get a steering wheel to replace the handlebars ??? ...... Seriously though, "Ultranutz" is one of the resident audiophiles on this site ... You should/could check with him for suggestions.
I know, I've been looking at steering wheels

And yes, I'm hoping "Ultranutz" chimes in at some point on this. I was kind of amazed how few people mention Sirius with their systems. I love the stuff. Of course, I ride 50 minutes to work one way and get lots of use out of it.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM
sl33py
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would one of the SWC add-ons get this to work?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADSM...er-reviews-tab

One of the first reviews:
...in reading the wiring instructions I noticed that you should connect the wire on pin one, OR the plug the mini jack into the aux port.
So wonder if this would work in place of the stereo plug SWC port for the BT-1005 kit?

I'm no installer, so I'd call Bill at BT and see what he suggests! If anyone would know he would. Those guys are awesome.

Where did you get the HU - any chance of return or swap?

The only alpine I see on Crutchfield similar w SWC: Alpine CDE-SXM145BT.

Switching HU obviously would give you a ton more options, but understand folks usually stick w a couple they like. I've always liked Pioneer, Alpine, and going to try Kenwood w my upgrade on the bike. Most have an add-on XM option for a bit more $. BT and HD radio are my requirements so looking at some non-marine Kenwood to get all features I want.

Good luck and let us know what you figure out!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to believe that ANY head unit built in 2013 ISN'T steering wheel compatible.....WOW !!

For $ 50 more, this looks like a nice model ....Alpine CDE-HD148BT.

Where did you get the head unit from ??

Last edited by GLACIERPEARL; 04-16-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 AM
smkinnan
Advanced

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Hard to believe that ANY head unit built in 2013 ISN'T steering wheel compatible.....WOW !!
I know!! I was totally shocked. I was like "what the hell is this for" at the end of the install. Started looking for the 1/8" plug port on the back of the HU and was like WTF? <slump>

Old 04-16-2013, 11:39 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by smkinnan
I know, I've been looking at steering wheels

And yes, I'm hoping "Ultranutz" chimes in at some point on this. I was kind of amazed how few people mention Sirius with their systems. I love the stuff. Of course, I ride 50 minutes to work one way and get lots of use out of it.
oh hey my bad.. busy couple of days at work. With no way to remotely control the headunit I'm afraid to say you're pretty much stuck unless you go with a different headunit.

Biketronics and Hawg-Wired sells handlebar control kits that are comptabile with Sony headunits or they both have the universal kits to use with any radio that has a single wire input (like kenwood) for remote control vs the 3.5mm plug.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Sucks that unit doesn't have steering wheel control???? Your only option is a different head unit... Since ya already got the biketronics 1005, about anything will work but I'd stick with Alpine or Sony with the features ya want, XM and bluetooth at least.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM
smkinnan
Advanced

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Sucks that unit doesn't have steering wheel control???? Your only option is a different head unit... Since ya already got the biketronics 1005, about anything will work but I'd stick with Alpine or Sony with the features ya want, XM and bluetooth at least.
So, just to be clear I need a radio that has "Steering Wheel Remote Control" then!?! Is that right?

Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

yes sir. either the type like Sony and Alpine have with the 3.5mm plug which will plug directly into the Biketronics device or even something like a Kenwood or JVC that use a single wire for controls. You'll have better control over all functions with the Sony headunit especially since BT and HW both cater to the Sony more than other brands so they build around it.

As for the Sirius, most of the Sony's have the ability to simply plug in a module and mount your sat antenna inside the fairing. Here's one kit but make sure it's for your specific head unit it you go that route as I know they have 2 different sat units.

Quick Reply: Headunits, Steering Wheel Remote Control and SiriusXM