Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound is next! Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 AM
redeye93
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Sound is next! Opinions?

I've read alot of info here from UltraNutz and other members here. I would like opinions on what I've come up with for the sound setup. I'm looking for a clean sound with good bass. I used all JL Audio in my truck, but I don't want to put that kind of money in a bike setup. Just want a solid upgrade. Any suggestions or opinions on any of the gear is welcomed. I started with Ultranutz suggestions as my base and tweaked it a little.

1. Pioneer AVH-X7500BT head unit (I want a flip out with navigation and this is the only single din player I found that even had navigation as an option)
2. Biketronics BT1005 retro radio kit
3. Pioneer CD-IH202 cable for video and audio Iphone 5
4. Cycle Sounds 6.5" speaker adapter rings for your fairing speakers
5. Polk Audio MM651 speakers for your fairing
6. Biketronics BT479 6X9 Rear Speaker Kit for CVO Style HD Lids
7. Soundstream PN4.520d amp

Do I need the sony harness even though I'm not using a Sony HU? The site says if not buying the radio from them, u need this harness.

Anything else you think I'm missing please let me know. I'm planning out the setup so I can get it piece by piece and put it in after I get everything. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by redeye93; 04-18-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: update list
Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soundstream, Pioneer & Kenwood all make single DIN receivers with optional navigation, to name a few,..... but the model you've chosen seems like a pretty nice unit !!

PS......you'll need the Biketronics BT1005 kit !!!

Are you mounting the 6X9's in the bag,........or buying lids ?? Should be a nice set-up for you....

Also,.....with this unit, instead of buying the AVIC u250 navigation add-on for $440 ,......just stream your phone through the head unit & use a navigation app !! It'll run on your screen, just like the AVIC u250 !! Save $ 440, with the same results !!

GOOD LUCK !!

Last edited by GLACIERPEARL; 04-07-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:02 PM
redeye93
Road Master

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Soundstream, Pioneer & Kenwood all make single DIN receivers with optional navigation, to name a few,..... but the model you've chosen seems like a pretty nice unit !!

PS......you'll need the Biketronics BT1005 kit !!!

Are you mounting the 6X9's in the bag,........or buying lids ?? Should be a nice set-up for you....

Also,.....with this unit, instead of buying the AVIC u250 navigation add-on for $440 ,......just stream your phone through the head unit & use a navigation app !! It'll run on your screen, just like the AVIC u250 !! Save $ 440, with the same results !!

GOOD LUCK !!
Thanks for info! I just went on sonicelectronix website and did the filter for single din HU with navigation optional and it came back with a couple pioneer ones and that was it. I like the Pioneer units. I have an older double din in my truck and I'm used to them is all. I'll take a look at Kenwoods too. I'm not opposed to a cheaper model that will allow me to use the navigation from my phone if you have any suggestions hehe. The bike came with speakers already in the bags. I was thinking I could just get some adapters to fit the new speakers in it. Would I have to change my stock CVO lids? Updated to the right biketronics kit (thanks for that as well).

Old 04-07-2013, 04:49 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jensen has an entry level single DIN at Crutchfield for $219 !!

There are 13 models listed at Crutchfield, ranging between $ 219 & $ 699. Prices have REALLY come down......My Kenwood KVT819 listed at $ 1199 !! YIKES !!

Here is a pic of the Jensen VM9116 for $ 219

Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by redeye93
Thanks for info! I just went on sonicelectronix website and did the filter for single din HU with navigation optional and it came back with a couple pioneer ones and that was it. I like the Pioneer units. I have an older double din in my truck and I'm used to them is all. I'll take a look at Kenwoods too. I'm not opposed to a cheaper model that will allow me to use the navigation from my phone if you have any suggestions hehe. The bike came with speakers already in the bags. I was thinking I could just get some adapters to fit the new speakers in it. Would I have to change my stock CVO lids? Updated to the right biketronics kit (thanks for that as well).
Biketronics 6x9 HAT's fit right in the Harley CVO lids, the adapters come with the kit. They also seal the opening so that water won't get in your bags.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:13 PM
redeye93
Road Master

Audio gurus...
I have a question for you regarding the amp...reading all about the SS amp issues with FM reception, is there any other one you would recommend? I listen to the radio alot around town and use my ipod and other media on road trips. I went by my local car audio store yesterday and showed him the above list and the SS was the only thing he was like "eh" on. He also mentioned that the JK audio guy had just been in there and they are supposedly coming out with a series of audio upgrades for the baggers including saddlebags with woofers and total upgrade speaker packages. I'm looking for a setup to retain the 4 speakers in my fairing and saddlebag speaker upgrade with the ability to expand if I decide to get lowers. If I get lowers, only thing that would go in them are speakers. So I'd like to get some solid performance upgrades that will leave me the ability to add lower speakers if I decide to go that route in the fall. Any info would be greatly appreciated. How does everything else look on the list? (thx for your input as well Glacier...you have a sweet a** setup). Thanks fellas!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Biketronics 6x9 HAT's fit right in the Harley CVO lids, the adapters come with the kit. They also seal the opening so that water won't get in your bags.
I agree with this.. Initially I was thinking 5x7 to 6x9 metra adapters to fit 6x9s in there but after seeing this adapter plate from Biketronics and looking at the bottom of the CVO lids where the little bumps and valleys are all over the place, I would either stick with the CVO speaker kit or the Biketronics 6x9s to seal those puppies up. I'm sure at some point in the near future someone will copy what BT has done with this adapter and sell just the adapter but it's a lot more than simply a 5x7 to 6x9 adapter ring.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

also you've got a lot of room inside that fairing for a couple of amps. Check out the ARC Audio amps from Dragonfly Cycle Concepts.. 30% off sale going on now which makes them attractive.

Also my understanding from talking to another forum member, Bill at BT is discounting the 4180 which is also a nice 4 channel amp.

Then you have the ability to put in 2 PBR300x2 RF amps to cover your 4 channels perfectly.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by redeye93
He also mentioned that the JK audio guy had just been in there and they are supposedly coming out with a series of audio upgrades for the baggers including saddlebags with woofers and total upgrade speaker packages.
JK audio? Never heard of them

Old 04-18-2013, 08:50 PM
redeye93
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
JK audio? Never heard of them
I meant JL Audio. hehe...He also suggested a small JL audio amp too. I'll have to get the model number for ya.

Last edited by redeye93; 04-18-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Sound is next! Opinions?