Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prepping for my full Audio makeover... Any advice???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Sean Maxwell
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping for my full Audio makeover... Any advice???

Ok, so I have read until my eyes bleed. Sooo I figure that I finally have a free weekend with beautiful weather and my last major project to undertake is sitting on the shelf waiting impatiently to be completed. So lets set the plot?

I have a 2012 StreetGlide. The upgrades I have made over this last winter in my garage turning the wrenches myself.

Rinehart Extreme True Dual Exhaust with 4" Cans.
Thundermax ECM with Wide Band O2 Sensors
Phase 7 Headlight
Arlen Ness LED Burst Headlight Trim Ring
PM Supergas interchangeable Air Cleaner

And now for the Project on the shelf:

I have the Biketronic retro kit, and arc 6.5" adapter rings.

I have a brand new Sony DSX-MS60 head unit.
Brand New Soundstream PN4.520D

2 Pair on Infinity Reference 612M
( I was torn between these, the Polk speakers everyone on this forum seems to use, as well as some Kicker, Memphis, and Focal speakers that all performed pretty admirably. I also nearly pulled the trigger multiple times on the J&M Rokker series and amp, but could just never sell myself on that system. And then after seeing some folks on here like GlacierPearl, and UltraNutz set the stage for the things they were doing. Well lets just say it inspired me to be a bit more intrepid with my system than the typical plug and play stuff. Not to mention the dealership where I bought my bike is now pushing the J&M sled too. And that has always translated to overpriced when compared to actual performance versus aftermarket non HD, or any manufacturer for that matter, endorsed alternatives. )

So here is the game plan. The easy part is we are going to ditch the HK stock Head unit and speakers. Replace with New Sony unit, and 1 pair of the Infinity speakers in the front fairing, that should be the easy part with the help of the biketronics.

Now comes the challenging part.

The SS amp. I don't have a powered antenna, and even if I did, losing FM stereo would be a small inconvenience, and not deter me from doing the project.

With all the experiences in this forum, I am not too terribly concerned about the amp either as far as the install is concerned. Several of you guys have done quite detailed install write ups.

The really scary part is the second pair of Infinity speakers. I am seriously considering and when I say that, I mean I have pretty much made my mind up, that I am going to install them in the saddlebags. Either in the lids or in the bags facing inward toward the wheel. Either way will require significant drilling or cutting. If I do the lids, which seems most appropriate considering the speaker I am using. I just need to map out the template and cut out the circle with a rotary saw. Of course I am open to suggestion over the next 12-14 hours or so if anyone has any advice or wants to talk me out of the most serious portion of the install. I am not dead set on installing the extra set of speakers, but am certainly leaning heavily in that direction with the four channel amp, and the attempt to get the most bang for my buck from the outset.

So if anyone has any advice I would be happy to hear it. Constructive criticism is also welcome.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My advice:

Take lots of pictures when you get the batwing off. This way, when you are buttoning up everything, you can go back and see how ALL of the wiring is situated in the fairing.

This is an intimidating, but rewarding task. Work slow, take your time, do it right. If it takes an extra hour , day or week to complete, and have it done PERFECCT,.....so what !!

If you get stumped or frustrated at ANY point, take a BREAK, grab lunch or whatever. Everything is easier , with a clear head !!

Try everything out BEFORE you put ANYTHING back together !!

Bottom line is: It's all just screws, wires, etc....... you CAN do this, and do it well !!

Never underestimate your ability to complete a project that you are passionate about !!

Now go get 'em !!! GOOD LUCK !!

~Jay

Old 04-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

It's not "that bad" once your hair that you'll pull out grows back in!

Best of luck, it's very rewarding.
Beav

Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Sean Maxwell
Advanced

Originally Posted by Beav

It's not "that bad" once your hair that you'll pull out grows back in!

Best of luck, it's very rewarding.
Beav

Thanks Beav. That hair that I would like to pull out was gone long ago. I am 35 with five kids, the oldest being a 15 year old girl that is built like a 22 year old brick **** house. I have a shaved head these days to try and hide the truth lol. I appreciate the levity though.

@Glacier, thanks. Your setup and narrative about how and what you did, was probably the moment of conception that brought me to this point. Granted yours is much more intricate and elaborate than mine. I don't have the funds nor the space, as I only have the saddlebags compared to your full dresser. But the point is, I believed all along what you said about being able to pull equal or better performance from a system of aftermarket non factory endorsed components, and for less money than the boom audio, J&M Rokker series. Not knocking those guys, or their systems, as I may well set fire to my bike, my garage and my home tomorrow while doing this project, or it could just plain sound like ****. I am confident though that I can figure this out. In the past couple years I have found the determination and aptitude to save my household countless dollars by figuring out how to do things I never thought I would have been capable of. From doing surround sound systems with all the wires run behind and through existing walls, to putting ceiling fans in rooms that weren't prewired and countless car and bike repairs and upgrades weather it was to the harley or my S1000RR BMW Race bike. Your advice is well received. I will take tons of pictures and do some videos and try to add them here for the sake of posterity.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Sean Maxwell
Advanced

Well I hit my first speed bump. My lovely new Inf Ref 612M, have a non removable grill. Guess I am send these back, as my arc adapters don't adapt for a speaker that measures 7 1/4". DAmmmmitt! I am off to the car audio, best buy, etc to see if I can find a suitable replacement. Maybe someone will have those Polk mm651's on the shelf.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I would recommend 6x9s in the lids. Not sure I'd cut up my lids/bags. There are some lids set up for 6x9s out there. May be more $ but cleaner setup imho. Good Luck!!!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Brusier1028
Tourer

You have some hard work but it will be well worth it. I have some pics up in my album with my stereo work. Take a look and if you need help send a message and ill do my best to help out.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Sean Maxwell
Advanced

Thanks for the encouraging words gentleman.

@bruiser I will definitely take a look at your pics.

@hippie I don't disagree with you on the 6x9's. I know that the fabbed lids look great, and I have given them serious thought. But I figure, I want to paint the bike and I am not ready yet. If I mess up the lids, then I will have to buy the pre fabbed ones anyways. And I figure if I don't mess up the lids, then these will do, until I buy the stretched bags and rear with exhaust cutouts, and then I can just pay for the paint once. Wish me luck, although I do have some margin for error, as the grills and speakers will be atop the bag lids covering up any shabby cut work I do. It is my intention to be meticulous and have it look professional.

For anyone keeping track. I installed the new head unit today and hooked up the biketronics retro radio kit. I also have the front speakers mounted, along with the arc speaker brackets. Learned a lesson about the Infinity speakers the hard way, and had to run up to the local best buy and car audio places and lowes to find suitable replacements. I ended up pulling the trigger on 4 JL audio c2-650x that I thought sounded tremendous at the local car, marine, and motorcycle audio shop. Looked real hard at the focal 6.5" speakers as well, but something about the JL just pulled me in that direction. My wife would swear that it was the 50 dollar price difference.

So tomorrow, the aim is to finish it up. Wake up bright and early, run the wires for the amp, and cut the bags. Wire up all the speakers, secure the amp over the head unit, and plug it all in. Take it for a nice test ride. I am sure there are many hurdles waiting to grab my A$$.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:28 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Sounds like ya are making good progress! I'm running JL C2s in my fairing and lowers, sounds great for the $! Good luck!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Sean Maxwell
Advanced

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Sounds like ya are making good progress! I'm running JL C2s in my fairing and lowers, sounds great for the $! Good luck!
Thanks! I will try and get some video posted once I am finished along with some pictures. I am trying to figure out how exactly I am going to mount the amp.

My bike is a 12 Street Glide. And the fairing bracket bracing, that is used to hold in the stereo and all, has an upward angle to it after it makes the 90 degree turn away from the top of the radio. This will add to the difficulty level in mounting the amp.

Any ideas, or illustrations of how people have gotten around this?

Quick Reply: Prepping for my full Audio makeover... Any advice???