Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prepping for my full Audio makeover... Any advice???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:32 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm running a Arc KS125.2 amp so I'd be bridging the Focals/rears. The Polk 6.5" grills are 7" wide. The JL 6" grills are about 6.5". I have time so maybe I'll make some circular cut-outs to try and determine. Still will be watching for your results as it's very informative. Thanks again for your input..

Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I just measured the MM651 grills, they are 6 3/4 inches and just fit on the saddlebag lid. Any bigger on the grill and you will get overhang, something I want to avoid.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
I just measured the MM651 grills, they are 6 3/4 inches and just fit on the saddlebag lid. Any bigger on the grill and you will get overhang, something I want to avoid.
That'd be good but the 2.7ohm MM's wouldn't be a good match when bridged with my 4ohm Focal's. Polk's line drawings show the Dxi651 grills at 7". Wonder why the MM's are a bit smaller? I think a trip to a couple of stereo stores are in order with my tape measure

Old 04-13-2013, 06:40 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Sean,
Are the new C2's working ok now? I'm thinking at this point that the two leading 6" contenders for the lids are the JL C2-600 or the Kicker KS60. I'll be measuing grills in the next week or so..

Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I'd shy away from the KS60 mainly because the specs aren't so great. RMS power rating of 65w.. big red flag..

Dude get a set of Titan II 6.5" and the generic grills from cyclepartsforless.com or a set of CVO speaker grills.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:15 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll listen to several and will consider whatever won't have the grills overlap the top of the lids. Spec wise both are pretty close, but pretty sure the JL's would sound better..
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...C2600X&g=52000

Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Sean Maxwell
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
Sean,
Are the new C2's working ok now? I'm thinking at this point that the two leading 6" contenders for the lids are the JL C2-600 or the Kicker KS60. I'll be measuing grills in the next week or so..

The new C2's have been tested and will be fitted tomorrow most likely. My wife went in last thursday to have her stock halogens upgraded to HID if you catch my drift. I have been on Mr Mom duty for 5 kids since then. Not usually my thing, but considering that I am really looking forward to being illuminated by her new upgraded accessories, I figure I better play my position. At any rate the speakers are working when I tested them on the bench and hooked up to the amp. If they sound any different once I get them re installed, I will shoot video again. In reaction to the idea on the kicker speakers, I also gave those some serious thought, but in listening to them, I didn't feel like I had to buy them, like I did with the Infinity, and JL speakers.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sean Maxwell
The new C2's have been tested and will be fitted tomorrow most likely. My wife went in last thursday to have her stock halogens upgraded to HID if you catch my drift. I have been on Mr Mom duty for 5 kids since then. Not usually my thing, but considering that I am really looking forward to being illuminated by her new upgraded accessories, I figure I better play my position. At any rate the speakers are working when I tested them on the bench and hooked up to the amp. If they sound any different once I get them re installed, I will shoot video again. In reaction to the idea on the kicker speakers, I also gave those some serious thought, but in listening to them, I didn't feel like I had to buy them, like I did with the Infinity, and JL speakers.
Yeah, I have no doubt that in the store (controlled environment) that the JL's will shine. I'm going out tomorrow (tape measure along) to listen/measure the JL's, Hertz, Polks and Kickers. Might be a bit less critical being in the lids when going down the road at 60+mph. I'll let you know my results...

Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Sean Maxwell
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
Yeah, I have no doubt that in the store (controlled environment) that the JL's will shine. I'm going out tomorrow (tape measure along) to listen/measure the JL's, Hertz, Polks and Kickers. Might be a bit less critical being in the lids when going down the road at 60+mph. I'll let you know my results...
Hey Troop. How did you make out today? Let me know what you end up going with. If you go with something other than the JL Audio's I would love to here see a video of how they look/sound. On the kicker speaker side, if I am not mistaken, the ks60's measure at 6.5".

Old 04-15-2013, 08:29 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sean Maxwell
Hey Troop. How did you make out today? Let me know what you end up going with. If you go with something other than the JL Audio's I would love to here see a video of how they look/sound. On the kicker speaker side, if I am not mistaken, the ks60's measure at 6.5".
Morn'n Sean, Actually I'll be heading out in about 30 minutes with my tape measure in hand. Best that I can gather on-line, the Kicker KS60's are about 6.5" with the grill. Looks like the KS65 is about 7". The JL C2-600 also looks around 6.6". I'm pretty sure I'll like the JL's sound wise and I like the more protective screen type grill vs. the Kicker spoke grill. A buddy works at best Buy so I can get Kicker/Polks at very good prices, and for $10 I'd get the replacement warranty. I'm thinking I'll have to pay about $60 more locally for the JL's but it might be worth it if I have an issue. I see the JL C2-600's on-line for around $100-110 and locally might be around $150-160. We shall see...

** Ok, I was able to listen/measure the JL C2-600's and look at/measure the Kicker KS60's. Both speakers measure 6.5" across the bottom of the grills and will fit nicely in the lines of the lids. The JL's did sound nice but the sales guy is a tool. When told I use a Arc amp he asked if my Focals fried? He said some customers come in with fried speakers due to Arc amps spiking. Trying to sell me a JL amp I guess. He says he can match any authorized dealer price and that's $179. Won't budge any lower. He also said the C2's are a popular lid choice as their construction holds up pretty well to moisture. The speaker board at Best-Buy was down so no listening today. The speakers are on sale there for $60/pair +$15 for 4 yr replacement plan. I can get the JL's on-line for $100 but that's a risk I'm not sure I'm willing to take as no returns and 30 day replacement warranty. The Kickers are on sale thru saturday so I'll ty another store later this week. More than likely I won't cheap out and will go with the JL's. **

Last edited by troop; 04-15-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Prepping for my full Audio makeover... Any advice???