Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heeeeelp!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Heeeeelp!!

I am having a difficult time with the latest round of radio upgrades(starting to think i should stay with the last set up) so here it is....Last summer I added the rf 300.2 amp and set of t165 rf speakers with stock head unit great upgrade very happy BUT AS I ALWAYS AM THERE MUST BE MORE ON THE TABLE IM NOT USING so i upgraded to a sony head unit and t165s the t165s speaker move the tweeter so i removed a set gauges and put them in there...I was trying to tune it al in and it sounds clear as heck but cant seem to get as loud as last set up here what I am thinking an coud use the help.....the radio will go up to 50 on the dial for volume i get it at 32 before it distorts the sound then add to the gain on the amp!!!maybe I am turning radio up to much before amp gain? I am using the high pass but with the new sony head unit why not run low pass plugs? am I missing something as the Hk head unit with same amp and t165 get alot louder just not clear....

Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

set your amp to Full Pass mode. High pass and you're definately leaving tunes on the table, per say...

make sure to follow the procedure for proper gain setting.
  • turn eq, bass, treble, any kind of sound enhancement all to FLAT
  • turn gains on amp all the way down, usually to the left
  • drop in a CD and turn radio up til you hear distortion, then back it off a little
  • now turn gains up until you hear distortion then back it off a little
  • now your gains are set and you can go back and fool with your eq settings.
  • make sure to wrap those speakers with polyfil.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
set your amp to Full Pass mode. High pass and you're definately leaving tunes on the table, per say...

make sure to follow the procedure for proper gain setting.

• turn eq, bass, treble, any kind of sound enhancement all to FLAT
  • turn gains on amp all the way down, usually to the left
  • drop in a CD and turn radio up til you hear distortion, then back it off a little
  • now turn gains up until you hear distortion then back it off a little
  • now your gains are set and you can go back and fool with your eq settings.
  • make sure to wrap those speakers with polyfil.
I meant the way i wired it with high pass thru the speaker wires not the (rca)plugs that I cut off i have tuned to full pass I think I might have radio up to high when I set the gains I will finaly have time sat to really mess with it.....the tweeter pods have a plus\minus and a second setting but that one is clear in manual on what setting for what setup you use...
I put this in same garage as frinds stock radio with rf amp and speakers and his will over power my set up!!trying to hold off till I can ride it to really work the bugs out as it may be clear and fine at hwy speeds...uggg wish i would not sold stock headunit allready
thanks for the help ultra

Last edited by scumBAGGER; 03-29-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

[quote=scumBAGGER;11094035]I am having a difficult time with the latest round of radio upgrades(starting to think i should stay with the last set up) so here it is....Last summer I added the rf 300.2 amp and set of t165 rf speakers with stock head unit great upgrade very happy BUT AS I ALWAYS AM THERE MUST BE MORE ON THE TABLE IM NOT USING so i upgraded to a sony head unit and t165s the t165s speaker move the tweeter so i removed a set gauges and put them in there...I was trying to tune it al in and it sounds clear as heck but cant seem to get as loud as last set up here what I am thinking an coud use the help.....the radio will go up to 50 on the dial for volume i get it at 32 before it distorts the sound then add to the gain on the amp!!!maybe I am turning radio up to much before amp gain? I am using the high pass but with the new sony head unit why not run low pass plugs? am I missing something as the Hk head unit with same amp and t165 get alot louder just not clear.. .......... .START HERE . To set gains on Amp start with amp gains set to zero. Set head unit to 3/4 volume about (38). Turn up gains till speaker starts to distort then back down a bit! Amp cross over should be set on high pass or full (all pass, all frequency's) not low pass low pass for sub's! Hope this helps

Last edited by Moto Mike; 03-29-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: spaced reply
Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
I meant the way i wired it with high pass thru the speaker wires not the (rca)plugs that I cut off i have tuned to full pass I think I might have radio up to high when I set the gains I will finaly have time sat to really mess with it.....the tweeter pods have a plus\minus
thanks for the help ultra
that radio has all kinds of sound enhancement functionality. If you don't set it all to flat, your efforts to set gains are futile.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

that radio has all kinds of sound enhancement functionality. If you don't set it all to flat, your efforts to set gains are futile.

definity an issue then i had messed with mids\high and low before I set gains..

Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

so do you have 1 or 2 sets of RF speakers installed? kinda unclear reading your initial post.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

[quote=Moto Mike;11094160]
Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
I am having a difficult time with the latest round of radio upgrades(starting to think i should stay with the last set up) so here it is....Last summer I added the rf 300.2 amp and set of t165 rf speakers with stock head unit great upgrade very happy BUT AS I ALWAYS AM THERE MUST BE MORE ON THE TABLE IM NOT USING so i upgraded to a sony head unit and t165s the t165s speaker move the tweeter so i removed a set gauges and put them in there...I was trying to tune it al in and it sounds clear as heck but cant seem to get as loud as last set up here what I am thinking an coud use the help.....the radio will go up to 50 on the dial for volume i get it at 32 before it distorts the sound then add to the gain on the amp!!!maybe I am turning radio up to much before amp gain? I am using the high pass but with the new sony head unit why not run low pass plugs? am I missing something as the Hk head unit with same amp and t165 get alot louder just not clear.. .......... .START HERE . To set gains on Amp start with amp gains set to zero. Set head unit to 3/4 volume about (38). Turn up gains till speaker starts to distort then back down a bit! Amp cross over should be set on high pass or full (all pass, all frequency's) not low pass low pass for sub's! Hope this helps

I have a hard time going over 32(ish) with gain at zero it distrots speakers before i even turn amp up!!!!
thanks again guys for the help i will update what I find sat night

Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

so do you have 1 or 2 sets of RF speakers installed? kinda unclear reading your initial post.

hahah sorry I got a phone call in the middle of typing this thread and my brain got side tracked.....

with stock head i had rf amp and set of t165......this winter I took t165 out and put a set of rf t165s in!!! I will add a pic

Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Quick Reply: Heeeeelp!!