Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap Soundstream Nano 4.520 for Rockford pbr300x2 ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:09 PM
blue66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap Soundstream Nano 4.520 for Rockford pbr300x2 ??

Throwing this out there....Have a Soundstream 4.520 amp.....may be interested in swapping for a rockford 300x2 amp in same excellent condition. Bike has never left the garage with the amp. It is brand new.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you not keeping the SS amp? Just wondering ...I just installed the SS and like it. It is a little tight to fit though.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 AM
blue66
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1sweetglide08
Why are you not keeping the SS amp? Just wondering ...I just installed the SS and like it. It is a little tight to fit though.
The amp is great. The speaker/amp combo work and sound killer. I have cranked it for some time and the amp barely gets luke warm. I have the gains at 30% frt 25% rear and it rocks.
The FM interference I can't seem to eliminate has me on the fence.
I basically have 0 FM with the amp on. At low volumes I can pick a few stations up but as I turn up the volume it worsens until the point I have no tuneable FM. I have tried a different antenna plugged directly at the head unit.
This seems to be an issue isolated to a few cases. I can only figure it is something in the headunits because it doesn't appear to be an issue with any sony head units. I am just not sure I can live without FM radio.

The PBR3000x2 seems to not produce the interference.... I would use it to run my speakers in parallel to utilize a 2ohm load and get 150 watts per channel of 2 speakers.

ps...did you replace the pbr300x4 in your sig?

Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue66
The amp is great. The speaker/amp combo work and sound killer. I have cranked it for some time and the amp barely gets luke warm. I have the gains at 30% frt 25% rear and it rocks.
I basically have 0 FM with the amp on. At low volumes I can pick a few stations up but as I turn up the volume it worsens until the point I have no tuneable FM. I have tried a different antenna plugged directly at the head unit.
This seems to be an issue isolated to a few cases. I can only figure it is something in the headunits because it doesn't appear to be an issue with any sony head units. I am just not sure I can live without FM radio.

The PBR3000x2 seems to not produce the interference.... I would use it to run my speakers in parallel to utilize a 2ohm load and get 150 watts per channel of 2 speakers.

Yes, I have since replaced my pbr300x4 with a SS 520. The SS amp is a great sounding amp and no where near as hot as the pbr300x4. I do receive FM using a Sony HU.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Was it not you that posted that you connected your antenna wire directly to the antenna bypassing the antenna relocation bracket and 100% of FM reception came back? It may not be you just asking...

The FM thing baffles me. I have 3 bikes now here that I have done using stock whip antennas with both stock and aftermarket radios and none have the FM issue. I do have 1 that does have the FM issue but is using an in-fairing antenna and the rear antenna is on a relocation bracket behind the saddlebag. There are some underlying issues with this and I'm trying to understand different setups to draw some kind of logical/technical conclusion for resolve.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 AM
blue66
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Was it not you that posted that you connected your antenna wire directly to the antenna bypassing the antenna relocation bracket and 100% of FM reception came back? It may not be you just asking...

The FM thing baffles me. I have 3 bikes now here that I have done using stock whip antennas with both stock and aftermarket radios and none have the FM issue. I do have 1 that does have the FM issue but is using an in-fairing antenna and the rear antenna is on a relocation bracket behind the saddlebag. There are some underlying issues with this and I'm trying to understand different setups to draw some kind of logical/technical conclusion for resolve.
Hi...Unfortuneatley it wasn't me...I do remember seeing a post about it though. I tried an automotive antenna plugged directly to head unit. Grounded and ungrounded. Same situation. I have messed with the grounding of the rear mount in the t/p etc. I have ran ground wires to the amp, to the antenna, to the headunit case, etc. Nothing seems to change it. With the amp off I can unscrew the whips and pickup many stations crystal clear....Add the whip and get even more. Turn on the amp, whip or no whip FM is static. with the amp on I can usually get 2-3 stations at low volume. As volume is increased, reception is decreased until it is completely gone.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

As volume is increased, reception is decreased until it is completely gone.
this makes total sense because of the switching outputs on the Class D amps. as volume is increased, output power from the amp is increased, therefore more radiated EMI.

Wish I could get someone to try one of the +12v powered FM signal boosters to see if it helps. Something like
this this