Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help trouble shooting please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Molarman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help trouble shooting please.

Completed my audio install yesterday. Stock HU, Biketronics 2180 amp,Titan II in fairing and Lowers. Played yesterday for about 30 min to make sure everything was working. Closed it up. Then today I was showing my daughter and it was rocking. Then sound abruptly stopped from the front 4 speakers. I checked the fader and its fine. I knew I had a questionable ground so I re connected that and I know its fine but still no sound. I get sound from rear speakers which are running off stock HU and were not touched. My thought is that I will check the amp fuse to see if its blown. After that I guess I'll have to pull outer fairing off to take a look. Any suggestions that I might be overlooking? Thanks for any help

Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The amp isn't putting anything out. It is either missing power, ground, or signal, or is blown. Check your fuse first, then you'll you'll have to open up the fairing to see what else happened.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:12 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Molarman
Completed my audio install yesterday. Stock HU, Biketronics 2180 amp,Titan II in fairing and Lowers. Played yesterday for about 30 min to make sure everything was working. Closed it up. Then today I was showing my daughter and it was rocking. Then sound abruptly stopped from the front 4 speakers. I checked the fader and its fine. I knew I had a questionable ground so I re connected that and I know its fine but still no sound. I get sound from rear speakers which are running off stock HU and were not touched. My thought is that I will check the amp fuse to see if its blown. After that I guess I'll have to pull outer fairing off to take a look. Any suggestions that I might be overlooking? Thanks for any help
Got a buddy locally who went with that same amp last week. Kept blowing fuses on it. A testament to BT tech support, he called them up on Saturday morning and THEY ANSWERED. They told him to turn off the AVC which he did and from what I understand, no more blown fuses. However with that said, I have to question the point of having AVC if you have an amp/speaker setup that cannot handle it. I dunno.. just mulling around thoughts in my feeble mind..

Old 03-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Molarman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Got a buddy locally who went with that same amp last week. Kept blowing fuses on it. A testament to BT tech support, he called them up on Saturday morning and THEY ANSWERED. They told him to turn off the AVC which he did and from what I understand, no more blown fuses. However with that said, I have to question the point of having AVC if you have an amp/speaker setup that cannot handle it. I dunno.. just mulling around thoughts in my feeble mind..
I was just listening in my garage and the bike wasn't even running. Would the AVC even come into play in that scenario? Should I consider a higher amp fuse or would this be bad for the amp?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

there could be varying factors in play here Molarman but not sure what size fuse comes with the amp, I would not exceed that.

too low of a voltage could cause a fuse to blow
make sure your ground is snugged up
is the amp getting hot when the fuse blows?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Molarman
Cruiser

there could be varying factors in play here Molarman but not sure what size fuse comes with the amp, I would not exceed that.

too low of a voltage could cause a fuse to blow
make sure your ground is snugged up
is the amp getting hot when the fuse blows?

I have not had a chance to mess with it much yet. I think my ground was questionable so I redid the ground and I think it's ok now. I have not even checked the fuse yet although I assume it is blown. I will check the fuse and replace it. I hate to pull the fairing cap off if I dont have to but if it blows again then I will. If the amp is getting hot when it blows what does that mean? Also assuming the ground is ok then would too much volume be the reason? I am running 4 Tittan II speakers in parallel for a 2ohm load and the amp is stable at 2ohms.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Molarman
If the amp is getting hot when it blows what does that mean? Also assuming the ground is ok then would too much volume be the reason? I am running 4 Tittan II speakers in parallel for a 2ohm load and the amp is stable at 2ohms.
The amp getting hot could mean a couple of things IMO
  • bad ground (12 volts actually flows from ground to positive not the other way around as most think). Ground is just as crucial as +12v and why I tell everyone to use the same size ground wire as the battery +12v wire
  • a bad speaker could be dropping below recommended ohm load. This will be difficult to troubleshoot
  • a shorted speaker wire would act just like a bad speaker. To troubleshoot this, disconnect speaker from each wire and disconnect same speaker wire from the amp. test wire for a short using a digital meter.
I believe that amp has the "BX" function. Turn it off. It's nothing more than bass boost and if that function is required to make your system sound better then IMO the amp has a pretty significant shortcoming.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Molarman
Cruiser

The amp getting hot could mean a couple of things IMO
  • bad ground (12 volts actually flows from ground to positive not the other way around as most think). Ground is just as crucial as +12v and why I tell everyone to use the same size ground wire as the battery +12v wire
  • a bad speaker could be dropping below recommended ohm load. This will be difficult to troubleshoot
  • a shorted speaker wire would act just like a bad speaker. To troubleshoot this, disconnect speaker from each wire and disconnect same speaker wire from the amp. test wire for a short using a digital meter.
I believe that amp has the "BX" function. Turn it off. It's nothing more than bass boost and if that function is required to make your system sound better then IMO the amp has a pretty significant shortcoming.
My guess is it was most likely the ground. I have made that better. This amp actually doesn't have any type of adjustments that can be made (ie no ***** or switches) so no BX mode.
I am a little concerned about the wires in the lowers being pinched though. I guess if it blows again I will go through and double check those things. Thanks ULtra.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Molarman
Cruiser

So I talked with Bill from biketronics. He said that it is possible that they may have sent out a 15 amp fuse instead of a 30 amp. I don't think I looked before I installed it. Bill said the 15 amp is the standard one that they ship out but use a 30 amp if they know that 4 speakers will be running. So I'll pull the fuse tonight and check and place a new 30 amp.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 PM
BigD9485
Cruiser

Molarman, where did you have your ground and what did you do to correct your ground?

Quick Reply: Help trouble shooting please.