Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Upgrade 2012 Ultra Ltd

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 PM
MrHd1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sound Upgrade 2012 Ultra Ltd

Been reading the threads here and would like to know what ya'll think of the Hog Tunes set up that can be had for about $375 on Amazon. Includes four speakers and an amp. I do alot of touring and almost always wear earplugs and a full hemet. Dont really like listening thru the headset. Just looking for a bit more sound and no sacrifice in fidelity.

Thanks

Old 03-18-2013, 07:21 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

if you're referring to the Big Ultra Kit, I've seen and heard some good reviews on it but don't have any first hand experience with it myself.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 AM
MrHd1
Tourer

Thanks. If anyone has I'd appreciate hearing from them. Otherwise I may just give it a shot and report back to the Forum.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

I had the Hogtunes ultra set up, it is better than stock. It depends on how good you want it to sound, I had it for about 2 months than decided to up grade to Arc with Polk db's, Then I upgraded to what I have in my signature, love this set up I have now. Some people claim they can hear the stock system, with my pipes at 60 mph + I couldn't hear sh*t! Anyway the Hogtunes is better than stock if you want to really hear your music go with Ultra's system for a little more $ my 2 cents!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 PM
MrHd1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
I had the Hogtunes ultra set up, it is better than stock. It depends on how good you want it to sound, I had it for about 2 months than decided to up grade to Arc with Polk db's, Then I upgraded to what I have in my signature, love this set up I have now. Some people claim they can hear the stock system, with my pipes at 60 mph + I couldn't hear sh*t! Anyway the Hogtunes is better than stock if you want to really hear your music go with Ultra's system for a little more $ my 2 cents!
Thanks, know where I can find a good deal?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:58 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
I had the Hogtunes ultra set up, it is better than stock. It depends on how good you want it to sound, Anyway the Hogtunes is better than stock if you want to really hear your music go with Ultra's system for a little more $ my 2 cents!
Originally Posted by MrHd1
Thanks, know where I can find a good deal?
I don't think you'll be happy with the Hogtunes, especially wearing a helmet & hearing protection. The system you are looking at, while easy to install (plug & play), simply doesn't have enough power to be heard at highway speeds without distortion.

The Ultra system that I believe Moto Mike is referring to is the system put together & tested by our Moderator - UltraNutZ. It consist of a Soundstream PN4.520D amplifier, 5.25" to 6.5" speaker adapters for the fairing, Polk MM651s in the fairing and Polk MM651s in the rear pods.

These items can be purchased from various Internet Sites and while not "plug & play", can easily be installed by most anyone and this "system" will Rock Your World!

Check out all the threads about the Soundstream Picasso Nano PN4.520D here on the forum for lots of information & advice.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Forgot to add that you'd be out around $450.00 going this route (plus some misc. items like connectors, heat shrink, etc.). You'll be hard pressed to buy a ready-made system with this kind of power & clarity for less than double the cost of this DIY system.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:37 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

MrHD1, if it fits your pocket book a little better why don't you simply upgrade your speakers first and then later on add the amp.

If you do this, make sure you wrap the fairing speakers with polyfil like a cocoon, and then line the rear tour pak pods with polyfil also. The polyfil can be bought at Walmart in a bag, just make sure to get the rolled polyfil and not the pillow stuffing. Both will work just as well, the roll is just easier to deal with.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 03-24-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:47 PM
MrHd1
Tourer

Thx for the great advice. I have some electronics background and mechanical ability. I think I will get the recommended stuff and do it myself. Wondering what plug and play entails as described here. I know harley wants to reflash your radio when buying their boom systems. Is the issue radio out put into add-on amplifier or is it more involved than that? What do I need to do with the Soundstream PN4.520D amplifier to make it work if it's not plug and play? Thanks again, can't overstate how much I appreciate all your help on this!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

no sir no flash needed by the dealer for your Ultra.

Installing the PN4 amp is a breeze and I'll certainly provide you the diagrams you need to get it done.

Quick Reply: Sound Upgrade 2012 Ultra Ltd