Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street glide setup for a great sounding stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 03:41 AM
Strait
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street glide setup for a great sounding stereo?

What would be the best setup to run on a street glide 2012 change head unit fairing speakers and bag speakers with Harley's speaker cut outs say for around 1000 1200 dollar range or cheaper just looking for all around quality sound and clean looks I've read so much information I'm literally mesmerized and also at loss of comprehension at this point to even understand where to begin as I would like something better than the boom system which I have in the fairing now and just are not cutting it at highway speeds planning on buying color matched lids but only after I get set on a direction to go in. Any help from you guys who KNOW this stuff would greatly be appreciated.
Wanting a better system than dropping a grand on the boom saddlebag speakers and amp and wiring kit.

Last edited by Strait; 03-16-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:39 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your budget ?? If going with new lids,.....get something that takes a 6X9 speaker. Your budget will depend on how close to 'the best' that you get.

Do NOT put any money into the BOOM system.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:40 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Well the lids are gonna eat a lot of your $1000 budget. I would go sony/biketronics for the head unit. The SS amp looks good on a budget then some good (polk/hertz/focal...) 6.5 and 6x9 coax speakers of your choice. That ought to get ya over budget???? There just is no such thing as "best"???

Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Strait
Cruiser

Sorry guys been out of pocket last couple days I'm talking bout 1000 1200 on system bag lids ill buy last cause they'll be most expensive part I'm just looking at buying piece here piece every couple weeks or month till I get it all put together I have read all the stuff I can find related to my SG and bag speakers I don't want to modify my bags or lids drill holes or anything no offence GP I think your system and work on install were great I just wanna keep it as functional as it is now minus a little space in bag and I know I have to drill at least one hole in my bag and put a groomet in to seal I've heard all the good things about the Polk speakers and te 4 520 amp but I just wandering what a budget like that can get me. I just wanting to see what my options are and what's the best in this kinda budget I gone try do some read watch on the equipment I've read about and see what the specks are. Thanks guys.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Strait
Cruiser

Okay after several hours of research tonight and let's just say for kicks money is not the option which is best in y'all's opinions on speakers to run behind the soundstream pn4.520d amp as I do plan to add bag speakers eventually. really wanna see what the hybrid audio tech drop in speakers for Harley's bag lids if they are compatible with the amp.

First I wanna swap head unit for the Sony Dsx s310btx as I really like all the features if it is weather resistant that's only spec I couldn't find if its not I guess I'll have to find another head unit. Install the ss 4.520 amp and new fairing speakers. The speakers are the question what is the best speaker for the fairing is there enough difference to justify the price difference between the Polk mm651 and the focal PC165 to justify going with the focals.

It's so much stuff out there and on this forum you really don't know which direction to go
I may just do the amp and fairing speakers now because I'm sick of not being able to listen to my tunes at 70 on a windy day the other question is will I be able to hear my tunes with the amp and the polks or the focals if I just o this first and then do the rest as time and extra money permits. Appreciate any more info you Guys can help me with to make up my mind.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion,.....unless you get into the K series Focals, they are not gonna shine. However, most folks can't justify spending $800 or more on fairing speakers. The MM651 will probably be a 'brighter' speaker that the PC series.

You might also want to consider the Biketronics Titan II speakers for the fairing,......also made by Hybrid Audio Technologies !

Good Luck !!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 AM
ibfree2855
Tourer

Check hogtunes

Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Only can decide if focals are better than polks? Listen to them side by side! There are lots of speakers out there, maybe you'll find something you like better? I'm running JL C2s. I'm getting my lowers repainted and have been running without the lower speakers, Yes, ya will be able to hear the fairing speakers at 70+.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Strait, I have Focal component's in my fairing, KPS's (list $799, I got them open box, less than $300) point is I put the Titan II's HAT's in my lowers They sound just as good for the money. I was so impressed with them I got Harley color matched lids like you plan to do and put the 6x9 HAT's in those from Biketronics. Those 6x9's are MONSTERS. I have only had them out for a short ride but sitting in the Garage and out on the road I can hear them crystal clear and loud. Having Hogtunes, Polk db's Focals and Hat's I really am impressed with the Biketronics Hat's, Molarman on here is getting the Biketronics 7 inch HAT's (brand new) for his bagger. Any how the HAT's are very good speakers and also The Polk 651 mm are probably the best bang for the buck. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Strait
Cruiser

I appreciate all the extra input guys on my crazy rant I know there are hhndreds of post dealing with this stuff and I have read MANY of them I appreciate the time you took to help me I think I will look at the Titan two I going to try and find the specks on the drop in HAT 5x7 and see what impedance it's set up to run just getting back into the audio thing and being and electrician and a millwright it's still freaking complicated to me lol. Thanks again guys ill post up what I decide when I start ordering my stuff

Quick Reply: Street glide setup for a great sounding stereo?