Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little Help for a Audio idiot

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts
Default Little Help for a Audio idiot

First off i have built tons of rods and a few bikes in my 57 years. Some with nice stereo stuff for other people(they design it.. i install)but my personal Hot Rods have nothing
My problem is my newest project. Bought a 98 Ultra flood bike that had very little flood damage. I did not really want and Ultra(but was what i bought cheap) so mostly everything Ultra i have removed other than factory radio and bat wing with 2 speakers. Its still apart but everything does work.
Ok what would most of you guys do on something this simple. I kept it a bagger but no speakers in bags and removed front lower fairings.
Speaker upgrade? Any wiring changed now that tour pack is gone and harnesses removed? This is my first real thought of tunes in my life. Don't even have radio in home.(have ipod for 3 years now never listen too it) Thanks K.I.S.S is how i want to keep it but injoy.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Replace the fairing speakers with Polk MM651 - 6 1/2" speakers. You'll need speaker adapters (Dragonfly, Cycle Sounds, etc.). Add an amp (Soundstream Picasso Nano or Rockford Fosgate PBR300x2).

Speakers alone may sound great at idle or low speeds, but once you get above 30mph or so, you really need an amp to keep things loud & clear.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would find out what ohm the originals are. I think the radios back then may have been 8ohm,....not sure.

If so,.....don't use the POLKS. You'll smoke em !!

`

Old 03-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Meist21
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to GP for sure. If the radio you are working with is as old as I am guessing then you will blow the speakers for sure if you run a lower ohm on them different from your power source. Runing 2.7 ohm on a 8 ohm head unit is bad.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I could be wrong but I think those older units were 8ohm? Don't think the head unit ohms matter if ya use an amp? At any rate I say ditch the old cassette unit for something from biktronics in your case.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM
InvertedB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might even want to consider just going with a new head unit like the Sony DSX-S210 or something of the sort. Especially if you do not use the intercom function. This would give you a head unit with a 4 ohm stable output and a lot more functionality than your current head unit. If you're not looking for a big system it would give you much better speaker options without having to incorporate an amp as well.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:55 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
I would find out what ohm the originals are. I think the radios back then may have been 8ohm,....not sure.

`
My recommendation was the Polks AND an amp. There's a member on another Thread that "smoked" his Polks installing them directly to his 1999 Harley head unit.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL

`
this is based on the assumption that you'll use the stock radio only driving a pair of speakers. If you put any speaker on that stock radio that is less than 8 ohms, you'll smoke the speakers and likely the audio outputs of the radio too.

GP is right at the 8ohm thing. You're much better off putting an amp in there and then you can use whichever speakers you want to use. If you don't want anything to blow your socks off, then simply drop in something like the alpine ktp445u or the rockford fosgate pbr300x2 with a pair of focal, hertz, polk, titan IIs, whichever is your choice of speaker.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Thanks everybody for the warning . It is the stock head...going to keep it for now.Bike is going to be mostly a race track chaser as i work on a few oval track cars at diff tracks. Late nite clear your head after the BS of racing.Hearing is real screwed.... so music is not a priority but i want tunes on this bike.
Now maybe after a speaker upgrade maybe a AMP. Anyway to use my unused I POd?LOL Thanks Guys really am a DF with this stuff.....
135. for the
PBR300X2 Amplifier sound about rite?

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 03-11-2013 at 09:30 AM.