Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog Tunes Speakers or the Polks MM651s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 AM
NJShoreScott
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hog Tunes Speakers or the Polks MM651s?

Ok, I know if the question was which to buy, it would be easy, the Polk MM651s. (And note to self, RTFBoard before purchase in the future). But I didn't and bought the front and rear Hog Tunes speakers a while ago. I am about to pull the trigger on the SoundStream 4.520 Nano amp, and am trying to decide if I should also get the Polks. I do not think there is a problem running the HogTunes with the amp (is there?)

So, will the speakers make a big difference? I am definitely NOT an audiophile, but I have noticed that Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help from my Friends" cuts out with my current setup (stock HU/HT drop in speakers - NO tweeter pod). I am sticking with just the four speakers (front & back), just want a little more volume at speed, and a little more clarity at volume. Stock HU is fine (for now), as the OL likes the intercom and even the CB.

I know this is a subjective question, and I generally hate people on this forum relying on others to make opinion decisions. But it seems like there are some very knowledgeable people on this particular board who can apply performance characteristics (and personal experience with the various components) to answer a bit more objectively.

Thank you in advance for any (and all) help.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 AM
ratdoc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You already have the Hog Tunes speakers. Why not see how they sound with the amp before you spend extra money on the Polks?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

i always recommend you use what you have first. If you need more later then do it. Why toss out perfectly good speakers IMO. The HT speakers are a good speaker and yes there are certainly better speakers. But better is directly proportionate to the way you like to listen to music and how much you want to spend in obtaining "better"

Try what you've got first man.. Then move from there if need be. The SS amp will wake those HT speakers up for sure and I think you just might like it.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
InvertedB
Advanced

Can the HT speakers handle the amount of power the SS amp puts out? I was considering 5.25" in the tour pak pods myself just to keep it looking completely stock back there, but couldn't really find much that could handle that kind of power.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

It really shouldn't matter which brand or size speaker you're using.

Your gains controls on your amp are precisely for this.

So if you're running a 4 channel setup do this:
  • Unplug your rear inputs to the amp (or use the fader to go to the front only)so you're only hearing your front speakers
  • Set your bass and treble on your radio to flat (that would be the middle on stock radios)
  • set your gains on your amp both front and rear to min (usually all the way to the left)
  • turn your radio up until you start to hear distortion then back it off a tad bit.
  • now turn your FRONT gain up until you start to hear distortion then back it off a tad bit.
  • fade your radio to the rear or unplug your front inputs to the amp and plug your rear inputs back in so you're ONLY hearing the rear speakers.
  • follow the steps above to set your rear gains.
  • fade back to the middle or plug your front inputs back in
  • now you're set both front and rear.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 03-07-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 AM
InvertedB
Advanced

UltraNutZ, you're ridiculously good and knowledgeable about this stuff! Thanks for your help in everything, this community (and me especially) is lucky to have your inputs.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

thank you sir. the key piece of this i went back and highlighted in red because if it's not done, the rest of the process is pointless

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 03-07-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 AM
NJShoreScott
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you all for your input. The amp has been ordered.