Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Question about speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 AM
JUVETEACH
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question about speakers??

I've just purchased a new 2013 Street Glide. I was reading on here some of the threads about speakers. Seems to me that Mr.UltraNutZ is on his game.
So, my question to him or any one that can answer is...Is bigger better? With regards to speakers guys!!...LOL I've seen J&M's 7.5 speakers, but are the Polk Audio MM651 just as good without stepping up to those what I assume are no name speakers?

I feel like the Soundstream PN 4.520D is the way to go with amp as well. I'm just looking for clarity in my tunes. I plan on speaker lids in the future, but after a few payments. Is this amp up to the 4 speaker set upas well? I would like to upgrade to some sort of satellite radio upgrade at some point (ANY IDEAS?), I hear SONY is the best way to go.

Also, thanks for being patient to a newb, with what I sure is a heavily covered topic.

Thanks, Mike.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:01 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

the SS amp is a 4 channel amp so yes sir its capable of driving as few as 2 speakers or as many as you want to wire in to the system in different wiring configurations.

You want a minimum of 6.5" speakers to make any difference and that is where I would start. You can always add an amp later if you find yourself needing more. There are many options out there for speakers. Focal, Titan IIs, Polk, HAT, etc. the list goes on and on. It really depends on what you expect out of your system and what kind of budget you have to work with. The price range of speakers alone will go from $79/pair to $900 and up /pair. All depends on you.

There are plenty knowledgeable folks here to help you with their experiences.

As for headunits, again its going to be one of those things where you find what's right for you in features, quality, and functionality.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Encosi
Cruiser

UltraNutz is right.....Much like a motor build its all about combinations and what you want. I use a Alpine PDX 6.4 amp with a Sony head unit, Infinity fairing speakers and Pioneer speakers in my bags. This is over 2k in sound. Its what I wanted but it was far from cheap and we are not talking about install unless you can do it yourself. But what you decide on should be based on how you want it it to sound and what you want to spend. Read up and keep asking questions.

I have a pair of Pioneer 6.5's fairing speakers with adapter rings in the garage if you want a pair cheap. Feel free to hit me up if your interested.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 AM
JUVETEACH
Stage III

Yes thanks Encosi, I would be interested in those speakers. Can you shoot me an email at juveteach@yahoo.com just put speakers in subject.

My main issue right now is making the music clear and crisp. The factory speakers are ok, BUT as y'all know we all want more. I just wasn't sure if the J&M speakers were a good upgrade or not with the factory head unit and no amp. I know from car systems that a good speaker can make all the difference in the world.
With the amount of money these bikes cost to buy and maintain, I don't want to go cheap more like best bang for the buck.

Thanks, Mike

Old 03-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Encosi
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JUVETEACH
Yes thanks Encosi, I would be interested in those speakers. Can you shoot me an email at juveteach@yahoo.com just put speakers in subject.

My main issue right now is making the music clear and crisp. The factory speakers are ok, BUT as y'all know we all want more. I just wasn't sure if the J&M speakers were a good upgrade or not with the factory head unit and no amp. I know from car systems that a good speaker can make all the difference in the world.
With the amount of money these bikes cost to buy and maintain, I don't want to go cheap more like best bang for the buck.

Thanks, Mike
In rereading these posts I just caught that your not changing decks. The speakers I have wont work at 2 ohms

Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 AM
JUVETEACH
Stage III

I am going this weekend to look at decks. I'm leaning to a satellite ready deck. So I'm still interested in your speakers.