Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I had it fiqured out now not sure

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM
rrcrum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thought I had it fiqured out now not sure

Been on here for a few weeks reading all the audio posts and advice, and buying equipment to do the Ultranutz upgrade.

I already have a 1997 utra with a Sony head unit with front and rear rca amp outputs

Bought PN4.520, 2- DB651, 2- speaker adapters, 2 Polk DXI400 (should all be here before the weekend), only purchased the 4" for the rear because of limited space in the 1997 and older rear pods.

I ride 90% of time without rear tour pack, so I was going to install the 651's in the front fairing hook into radio front channel RCA plugs and bridge. And install the DXI400 in the tourpack and hook direct to radio rear channel for that 10% when the other half was on the bike.

Will this work or is there a better recommendation for the equipment I have. I guess what has me doubting myself now is do I have to plug both sets (front and rear) of the RCA adapters into the amp in order to use the bridge function and loose the abilities to hook the rears directly to the radio rear outputs?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

you're spot on sir.

Use both front and rear RCA outputs from the Sony to the inputs on the amp. Bridge the amp to the DB651 speakers. Wire the rear speakers to the rear output of the radio.

Don't overthink this. Bad habit you guys up north that actually experience a winter have. :-)

Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

do you have a biketronics controller installed on your bike?

if so, you'll need to use the green and green/black wires (green is +) for the right rear speaker and purple and purple/black wires (purple is +) for the left rear speakers

Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 PM
rrcrum
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
do you have a biketronics controller installed on your bike?

if so, you'll need to use the green and green/black wires (green is +) for the right rear speaker and purple and purple/black wires (purple is +) for the left rear speakers
I do have the biketronics kit, are you saying to use wires coming off the biktronics module, currently I have the rear speakers hooked into the wires coming straight off the sony head unit. And I seem to control the speaker just fine, not sure if I am loosing some function but don't seem to be.

When I recived the biketronics kit it had seperate instuction to "repin" their unit for rear speakers on a ultra since the old set up rear speaker were some home run through the CB unit which I totally took out of the bike.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 PM
rrcrum
Tourer

you're spot on sir.

Use both front and rear RCA outputs from the Sony to the inputs on the amp. Bridge the amp to the DB651 speakers. Wire the rear speakers to the rear output of the radio.

Don't overthink this. Bad habit you guys up north that actually experience a winter have. :-)
Yea the winter can creat some brain freeze, lived in texas for 15 years and missing the winter weather there. Your answer helped because I was not sure if I needed to hook both RCA conector sets into the amp or just the front one.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by rrcrum
I do have the biketronics kit, are you saying to use wires coming off the biktronics module, currently I have the rear speakers hooked into the wires coming straight off the sony head unit. And I seem to control the speaker just fine, not sure if I am loosing some function but don't seem to be.

When I recived the biketronics kit it had seperate instuction to "repin" their unit for rear speakers on a ultra since the old set up rear speaker were some home run through the CB unit which I totally took out of the bike.
Then leave the rear speakers connected as they are and use all 4 RCA outputs to drive the amp.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Meist21
Cruiser

Don't worry he is talking about me overthinking some wiring I was doing the other day. I still blame that on all this damn snow...............I am not sure how anyone can miss this stuff. Looks like you will have a sweet sounding set up.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:45 PM
rrcrum
Tourer

Originally Posted by Meist21
Don't worry he is talking about me overthinking some wiring I was doing the other day. I still blame that on all this damn snow...............I am not sure how anyone can miss this stuff. Looks like you will have a sweet sounding set up.
I am still over thinking it probably, like if I hook all four rca jacks into amp, will I loose the fade function when I have the rear speakers plugged in when the tour pac is mounted. Or what happens to the power level when all four rca's are used, the amp is bridged and you adjust fade front or back does it affect output power to front speakers.

Wish this damn snow would go away so I could ride and clear my head.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

there are multiple configurations for this setup and it depends on what headunit you have, and what speakers you have.

Are you talking about a stock headunit on a streetglide or an Ultra?
How many speakers will STAY on the bike, excluding the removable tour pak?

Originally Posted by rrcrum
I am still over thinking it probably, like if I hook all four rca jacks into amp, will I loose the fade function when I have the rear speakers plugged in when the tour pac is mounted. Or what happens to the power level when all four rca's are used, the amp is bridged and you adjust fade front or back does it affect output power to front speakers.

Wish this damn snow would go away so I could ride and clear my head.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 PM
rrcrum
Tourer

there are multiple configurations for this setup and it depends on what headunit you have, and what speakers you have.

Are you talking about a stock headunit on a streetglide or an Ultra?
How many speakers will STAY on the bike, excluding the removable tour pak?
I have sony head unit with biktronic module on a 1997 Ultra.

Want to install PN4.520D, two front fairing DB651, and two DXI400 in the rear tour pack, the tour pack will be off the bike 90% of time, so I want the max power to front fairing and just usable (off the sony head unit) rear speakers when the tour pack is on

Quick Reply: Thought I had it fiqured out now not sure