Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Audio Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:52 AM
LDIReproPhil
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide Audio Upgrades

So I've been reading literally hundreds of posts on the 4-5 forums I'm a member of in an effort to make a decision on an upgraded audio system I think I can live with without second guessing myself after the fact, (If that's even possible). I have a 2012 CVO Road Glide. This setup doesn't required any alteration to the bike other than replacing the stock bag lids and adapter rings to increase the 5x7 fairing speakers to the 6.5". *I'd say this topic of "audio upgrades" ranks right up there "header pipe, muffler, & tuner" combo's when it comes to the endless possibilities one has to choose from. *Just wanted to throw it out here so anyone who's interested in audio can comment either positively, negatively, or indifferently about the choices I've made. *

1. Head Unit: Alpine CDE-HD149BT Just released March 2013 (looked at Kenwood & Pioneer as well). Was going to send stock HK to Iron Cross but decided if I'm gonna do it all the way I might as well go with Bluetooth for streaming my Pandora stations and also get HD radio signal for the FM stations that have it. *Including Biketronics module to keep stock hand controls. Also has usb hookup in back to use my stock ipod connection in right bag. http://www.alpine-usa.com/company/pr...-cd-receivers/

2. Amp: JL Audio XD400/4. 4-Channel Class D Full-Range Amplifier, 100 W x 4 @ 2 Ω / 75 W x 4 @ 4 Ω - 14.4V
(Considered the Arc 125.4 and Alpine PDX F-6 as well) http://www.jlaudio.com/xd400-4-car-a...plifiers-98261

3. Fairing Speakers: 6 1/2 inch Hertz HSK 165XL (300w max, 150w continuous, 4 ohm, dB/SPL *94) I ride with guys who have JL Audio and Focal, I wanted something different. This model has the separate tweeter that replaces my stock ones, crossover inc. http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/doc/h...y_hsk165xl.pdf

4. Bag Speakers: 6x9's Hertz HCX 690 (260w max, 130w continuous, 4 ohm, dB/SPL *94) http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/H...rgy_HCX690.pdf

5. *Cycle Sounds Speaker Lids: http://www.cyclesounds.com/bagger-au...lids-only.html

If you've never heard of Hertz like me before reading about it on these forums, here's from their site: Hertz is a product of Elettromedia. Elettromedia, was founded 1987 in Potenza Picena, Italy. *Is today considered a global leader in the production of car audio amplifiers, signal processors, speakers and accessories for professional installation. *In 1979 a group of technicians from various fields of electronics united by the pursuit of high fidelity audio reproduction gathered around a dream called AUDISON. *After several years of study and experimentation in 1984 , the completion of the first amplifier (HP 110) – AUDISON was born. *Elettromedia-USA was created in June of 2006 to import the elettromedia Italy brands into the United States. *

Picking up lids from painter tomorrow then taking bike and all speakers to installer. http://www.benchmarksoundworks.com/home/ (I bought these on my own because my installer is a Focal dealer, not a Hertz dealer). I'll buy amp and head unit from them.

I research **** to death before I pull the trigger on something, so I'm hoping this setup will serve me well. *With that said, I refuse to ever pay full retail on anything. *I'll negotiate the price down or spend my money elsewhere. Word of caution!!!! *Beware of FAKE speakers online. *If you buy knockoff **** from Bulgaria or Phillipines because it sells for $100-$200 cheaper, forget it, your screwed! *Work the price down with an AUTHORIZD DEALER! *

I"ll have everything done before I leave for Daytona on March 13 and when I get back home I"ll record a video on my iPad and post so you guys can get an idea of how it turned out.

Peace! *Phil

Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Congrats

Congrats Phil, well done. I just finished my winter stereo upgrade also with a Alpine unit CDE-137BT. All of the above like yours, Ipod, USB Thumbdrive in the front, HD Radio, Pandora, Bluteeth, and for a backup-CD's. My main use is the HDradio/USB. Wished I had the XM sirius features for longer trips, but this alpine is awesome. Using a arc amp w/6.5 hertz Titans II. I did dynamat the fairing and used polyfil over the speakers before securing it down....Thats from Ultranutz suggestions. Tightens up the sounds. Im a believer. Thanks Nutz. Anyway, sounds like the tunes are cranking. ...Ride safe and nice scooter too. Best, D

Last edited by duglaura&flhti; 03-03-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

nice setup..

and you're right about the fake stuff especially when dealing with hertz speakers for some odd reason. I've read in the past about people sending you hertz products with serial numbers removed, serial numbers changed, and not even being hertz products at all.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the Hertz speker's sensitivity ratings at 2.83volts or 1 watt ?? If it's 2.83 volts, it's gonna bump them under 90.

Seems as if some vendors like to use the 2.83 volts, so the sensitivity looks better than it is.

Would love to hear this combo. Those 6X9's get a pretty low frequency, which I like !!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:23 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Great choices! Waiting for the review on the results! Good luck!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:31 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Of the guys you ride with that use JL AUdio & Focal,.....which one's sound best to you ??

Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 PM
LDIReproPhil
Advanced

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Are the Hertz speker's sensitivity ratings at 2.83volts or 1 watt ?? If it's 2.83 volts, it's gonna bump them under 90.

Seems as if some vendors like to use the 2.83 volts, so the sensitivity looks better than it is.

Would love to hear this combo. Those 6X9's get a pretty low frequency, which I like !!
No idea on the answer to that. I'll have to look into.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:15 AM
wvdave
6th Gear

Just getting started on upgrading my stereo on the Road Glide Ultra, so thanks to everyone for the info.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Are the Hertz speker's sensitivity ratings at 2.83volts or 1 watt ??
verified with Hertz that they are in fact 1 watt, 1 meter. So those are very nice specs....

Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
verified with Hertz that they are in fact 1 watt, 1 meter. So those are very nice specs....
I would say BEYOND very nice!!! Almost incredible !!

Might have to take a look at these for my lowers !!

Quick Reply: Road Glide Audio Upgrades