Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear H/D speaker pod options....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 AM
blue66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear H/D speaker pod options....

In process of upgrading audio......have front speaker adapters and SS 4.520 amp so far. Now nneed speakers.
I know the MM651 will fit in the rear pods, wondering if a db651 or even a db521 will fit in the rear. I am guessing not due to the size of the magnet.
Anybody try this?

Also anyone know if the tweeters would stick up to high to use the factory grills on the pods with say a db521 if it fit or a mm521? I already have the chrome rings and prefer the "stealthy" look of no visible stereo upgrades.

If none of these options work I guess I will need to spend the $$ on some MM651's. Just that $120 for 4 DB651's is so much more appealing than $280 for 4 MM651's !!

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

1.) I wouldn't waste the time or $ replacing 5.25" speakers with 5.25" speakers. Too many other good options out there not to. The DB651 speakers will fit perfectly fine in the rear pods as they are no deeper in top mounting depth than the MM651 speakers.

2.) you're going to be hard-pressed to find an aftermarket speaker that will allow the use of stock grills.

Do a little research man.. MM651 speakers are NOT $280 but more in the line of about $130 everywhere except Frys Electronics. Frys does have some kind of special going on with the DB651 speakers and from what I'm told are about $50 online.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 AM
blue66
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
1.) I wouldn't waste the time or $ replacing 5.25" speakers with 5.25" speakers. Too many other good options out there not to. The DB651 speakers will fit perfectly fine in the rear pods as they are no deeper in top mounting depth than the MM651 speakers.

2.) you're going to be hard-pressed to find an aftermarket speaker that will allow the use of stock grills.

Do a little research man.. MM651 speakers are NOT $280 but more in the line of about $130 everywhere except Frys Electronics. Frys does have some kind of special going on with the DB651 speakers and from what I'm told are about $50 online.
Mounting depth is same, but magnet diameter is different and with the tapered inner side of the pod, it looks as though the magnet would hit it before the speaker would be sitting into the enclosure. I tried a 6.5" component speaker I had laying around and was nowhere close to fitting.

The $280 was for 4 speakers....Cheapest I have found so far was @ sonicelectronix for $136.95 / pair shipped. The db's are $60 shipped most places. I just keep reading all the great reviews on the db's....I am sure the mm's are better, no question there. But going from stock to the upgrade, I figured I would never know the difference. But if fitment will be an issue than I am wasting time on it anyway. I have no stereo places around that carry anything other than a best buy. The store we have is alll about rockford.....

Last edited by blue66; 02-26-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by blue66
The $280 was for 4 speakers....Cheapest I have found so far was @ sonicelectronix for $136.95 / pair shipped. The db's are $60 shipped most places. I just keep reading all the great reviews on the db's....I am sure the mm's are better, no question there. But going from stock to the upgrade, I figured I would never know the difference. But if fitment will be an issue than I am wasting time on it anyway. I have no stereo places around that carry anything other than a best buy. The store we have is alll about rockford.....
not necessarily that they're better because in reality they're rated almost identical, but moreso the fact that they serve 2 totally different purposes/setup environments.

If you're not going to put an amp in this system now with a speaker upgrade, then I would definately go with the MM series speakers for a more proper impedance/ohm match to your stock headunit. If you put 4 ohm speakers on your stock headunit, you will effectively have to turn the volume up twice as loud to get the same results. The louder you turn it up, the more distortion you're injecting into the system. You must consider all of this when making your choices.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 AM
blue66
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
not necessarily that they're better because in reality they're rated almost identical, but moreso the fact that they serve 2 totally different purposes/setup environments.

If you're not going to put an amp in this system now with a speaker upgrade, then I would definately go with the MM series speakers for a more proper impedance/ohm match to your stock headunit. If you put 4 ohm speakers on your stock headunit, you will effectively have to turn the volume up twice as loud to get the same results. The louder you turn it up, the more distortion you're injecting into the system. You must consider all of this when making your choices.
Got the SS 4.520 in the garage, awaiting installation.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by blue66
Got the SS 4.520 in the garage, awaiting installation.
and in this case because it's a 2 ohm stable amp and it's output power is spec'd at 2ohms, I would choose the MM series of speakers as they more closely match the impedance of the amp at specified power outputs. You can use 4 ohm speakers without a problem most certainly but like I said in other posts, the object of the game is "matching" components for best results. That doesn't mean you HAVE to do it, just my suggestion.