Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marine Grade Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by BschloSS
Ok - So Polyfill is just the stuff inside my kids stuff animals....so I guess one of their animals will come up missing sometime soon...lol...

I'm sure they have this at a hobby store. right?
Yes sir we see the pic. And yes Hobby Lobby or Walmart even has it in small bags. I think it's like $5 at Walmart.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 PM
BschloSS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. Those are covering my biketronics....I ordered the infinity and the polk today. Im not sure which I'm gonna keep. I want to keep the polk because they are also 2ohm and marine grade. I'm not sure if the infinity mentioned above are marine grade or not. sooooo......if the polk will allow me to use these HD grills....then we are good.

Hey - what is the best way to use this polyfill for the upper fairing speakers too? how can it be secured and held against the speakers?

Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I ride one of those Ultra Fuglys, but the principle is the same (Those speakers don't know what they're riding on!)

They look like "snow *****," but who sees it anyway? Dunno about the batwings... think that UltraNutZ doesn't use anything to "capture" them. I used a couple of long zip ties to keep it in place. Works fine.

(She'll never miss that old pillow!)

Beav

Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

No. Those are covering my biketronics....I ordered the infinity and the polk today. Im not sure which I'm gonna keep. I want to keep the polk because they are also 2ohm and marine grade. I'm not sure if the infinity mentioned above are marine grade or not. sooooo......if the polk will allow me to use these HD grills....then we are good.

Hey - what is the best way to use this polyfill for the upper fairing speakers too? how can it be secured and held against the speakers?
you'll keep the polks.. lol.. I've heard the infinitys. No comparison at all.

Take a piece about 10 or 12" square about 1" thick and completely wrap the speaker with it. That's all there is to it. The batwing fairings once installed hold the polyfil right where it needs to be but as Beav pointed out above, the RG fairings do not because lets face it.. you could store a dead body inside a RG fairing. :-) That's why he used zip ties to hold it in place.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
lets face it.. you could store a dead body inside a RG fairing. :-)

Now, now.... not "quite" THAT much room...

Beav

Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 PM
BschloSS
Intermediate

The Polks sound like the right choice....just gotta make sure they work with my grills. I'll put the polyfill around the existing batwing speakers as I've upgraded them also....I'm wondering how I can get the polyfill to work around the saddlebag lid speakers....perhaps stuff some around within the cage basket that protects the speaker. I'll try that and see what it does. Do you know if anyone here has used the polk speakers with the HD grills as seen in my picture above?

Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Question

Do you know if anyone here has used the polk speakers with the HD grills as seen in my picture above?
That's the pic I'm waiting on before I spend $80 on grills...

Beav

Old 02-26-2013, 05:21 AM
BschloSS
Intermediate

gotcha.....that's an $80 gamble for your and a $250 gamble for me....lol...not sure if I'm gonna take that gamble. I may call crutchfield and and explain to them what I'm trying to do and see if they will let me return if they don't fit...

Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Hey Beav, how's your FM reception with that amp being mounted low and away from the radio? Starting to see and hear about FM interference caused by this amp but mostly with folks who are not using the stock whip antenna but instead something like an in-fairing antenna or shorty antenna.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

I'm wondering how I can get the polyfill to work around the saddlebag lid speakers....perhaps stuff some around within the cage basket that protects the speaker.
I'm wondering that myself actually. I've got my saddlebag lids coming in this week from Cycle Sounds and will be dropping a set of Polk MM651s in them. What I did buy was
these these
. Going to mount the speakers without them first and see how they perform, then I'll put them on and see how they perform with the baffles, then add polyfil to the baffles and see how they perform. This way I'll know exactly what to tell you all that are doing the same thing.

Quick Reply: Marine Grade Speakers?