Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use component speakers without hooking up the crossovers and tweeters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 PM
kjkustoms
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can I use component speakers without hooking up the crossovers and tweeters?

I am installing the speakers in the lowers and there is no place mount the tweeters or fit the crossover box. Is it ok to run the speakers without them? Pros?Cons?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

there are no pros! LOL
man you need to use those crossovers. They'll fit inside the fairing behind the horizontal fairing brackets that attach to the speakers.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:00 PM
kjkustoms
Road Captain

Thanks, I didn't want to hear that,oh well, back to the drawing board!

Old 02-18-2013, 04:49 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

The tweeters won't mount to the speakers ?? Weird.....

Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Using those speakers in the lower fairing without crossovers isn't really a bad thing, IMO. The lowers are not an ideal spot for tweeters to begin with, they are better heard up high, either with fairing mounted co-axials, or better still, up higher with separates and/or the Hogtunes tweeter pod. The lower speakers will produce mid bass, and will have a natural high frequency roll off, since they really can't reproduce high frequencies to begin with. Bottom line, they should add to the overall volume, while not being bothered with highs that are better heard up high to begin with. The only con I can think of is that you paid for tweeters and crossovers that you won't be using. If you can mount the tweeters in gauge holes or in the upper fairing and the crossovers inside the batwing you'd have it made in the shade, just saying...

Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

It really WOULD NOT be a good idea to just use the mid bass drivers without the tweeters and the crossovers! What kind of components are they. You could put coaxials in your lowers or find a place to mount the crossovers and tweeters as mentioned in the other posts. If you have room for only one pair of tweet's and crossovers put them in the fairing and put coaxials in the lowers.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:21 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master

There is a reason why most home speakers use a single tweeter, regardless of the number of woofers or mids in the design. The tweeters give our ears the cues necessary for proper imaging, bringing the soundstage to life. This is why placing tweeters as high as possible on a bike can lift the soundstage up, making it sound more realistic, more like its coming from in front of you and not from down at your knees. Having midbass drivers in the lowers will add to the overall volume of the system, but wont smear the imaging. To each their own, I would still put the tweeters up high and not in the lowers.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
Using those speakers in the lower fairing without crossovers isn't really a bad thing, IMO. The lowers are not an ideal spot for tweeters to begin with, they are better heard up high, either with fairing mounted co-axials, or better still, up higher with separates and/or the Hogtunes tweeter pod. The lower speakers will produce mid bass, and will have a natural high frequency roll off, since they really can't reproduce high frequencies to begin with. Bottom line, they should add to the overall volume, while not being bothered with highs that are better heard up high to begin with. The only con I can think of is that you paid for tweeters and crossovers that you won't be using. If you can mount the tweeters in gauge holes or in the upper fairing and the crossovers inside the batwing you'd have it made in the shade, just saying...
I agree and disagree. If you're not going to use the crossovers that come with the speakers and designed for the speakers, then I'd make sure to use some sort of electronic crossover. Used to do this all the time with component setups. Tweeters are much more suspectable to being toasted without any kind of crossover on them whether it be a passive or active crossover. You only want the range of frequencies the tweeter is designed for flowing through it. The same can be said about the mid-bass driver.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I agree and disagree. If you're not going to use the crossovers that come with the speakers and designed for the speakers, then I'd make sure to use some sort of electronic crossover. Used to do this all the time with component setups. Tweeters are much more suspectable to being toasted without any kind of crossover on them whether it be a passive or active crossover. You only want the range of frequencies the tweeter is designed for flowing through it. The same can be said about the mid-bass driver.
I completely agree about using the crossovers with tweeters to prevent damage, but that was not my point. The midbass cannot be harmed by running high frequencies into it, the natural rolloff of the speaker will attenuate the highs without issue. My point was that when running speakers in the lowers it is not necessary to run tweeters down there, as they can smear the soundstage by competing with the tweeters in the fairing. The OP asked for pros and cons of running lower midbass speakers without crossovers, I don't think there would be any issue, it's a try it and see how it sounds situation, IMO.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
I completely agree about using the crossovers with tweeters to prevent damage, but that was not my point. The midbass cannot be harmed by running high frequencies into it, the natural rolloff of the speaker will attenuate the highs without issue. My point was that when running speakers in the lowers it is not necessary to run tweeters down there, as they can smear the soundstage by competing with the tweeters in the fairing. The OP asked for pros and cons of running lower midbass speakers without crossovers, I don't think there would be any issue, it's a try it and see how it sounds situation, IMO.
that's why I said I agree/disagree. :-) You are absolutely correct on the lowers and I misunderstood the OP and "assumed" tweets as well.

Quick Reply: Can I use component speakers without hooking up the crossovers and tweeters?