Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audio system for bike WITHOUT a fairing

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default audio system for bike WITHOUT a fairing

I'd love some opinions on what I could do to upgrade the music on my Road King. Currently, I have a pair of Cycle Sounds 3" handlebar mounted speakers (which come with an amp & bracket for an MP3 player), and they work pretty good, but I'd like to have more sound.

I just picked up some lower fairings, and was considering adding speakers in them. I also considered saddlebag speakers. Or both. (I think the lower fairing speakers would be better, just because they point at the rider, not up into the air.)

My question is: How would I tie them all together? My MP3 player works very well & is handy. If I could somehow add another amp & set of speakers, I think it would work very well. Is it possible to just add to what I have, or do I need to start again in a different way?

Does anyone have any suggestions? And please don't say to add a removeable fairing, because at this point I prefer a windscreen. I also don't want to add windshield-mounted audio systems, because occassionally I like to ride around town without the windscreen.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Dragonfly2000
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean about more sound. The small speakers like this simply have limitations on houw much you are going to hear at freeway speeds. The larger speaker you use the more power you can put to it and in turn get more volume out of it. More power also relates to how clean the music will be once you turn that radio up.

It can be done, however there is no out of the box kit you can buy to do this. the simplest would be to get a 3.5 mini plug splitter from your current music devise to get you to a set of RCA cords. From there you can go through an amp and back to the speakers you wish to run.
You are correct in wanting to do front speakers first. That is where over 70% of your sound will come from while riding the bike. Your windshield is providing a wind envelope for you to hear you music. This means the more you have coming from in it the more you will hear. Unfortunately the speakers that you have now will be putting out less than the other options you looking at with the lower and the saddle bag lids.
I would recommend a 4 channel amplifier (as they are almost the same price as two channel amps) in your saddle bag and a set of 6.5" speakers in the lower fairings like you are talking about. If this is not enough you amp is already on place to add saddle bag speakers of something else.
Let me know if this helps at all, or if it just brings up more questions. LOL.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:18 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragonfly2000
I know what you mean about more sound. The small speakers like this simply have limitations on houw much you are going to hear at freeway speeds. The larger speaker you use the more power you can put to it and in turn get more volume out of it. More power also relates to how clean the music will be once you turn that radio up.

It can be done, however there is no out of the box kit you can buy to do this. the simplest would be to get a 3.5 mini plug splitter from your current music devise to get you to a set of RCA cords. From there you can go through an amp and back to the speakers you wish to run.
You are correct in wanting to do front speakers first. That is where over 70% of your sound will come from while riding the bike. Your windshield is providing a wind envelope for you to hear you music. This means the more you have coming from in it the more you will hear. Unfortunately the speakers that you have now will be putting out less than the other options you looking at with the lower and the saddle bag lids.
I would recommend a 4 channel amplifier (as they are almost the same price as two channel amps) in your saddle bag and a set of 6.5" speakers in the lower fairings like you are talking about. If this is not enough you amp is already on place to add saddle bag speakers of something else.
Let me know if this helps at all, or if it just brings up more questions. LOL.
I have a Road King myself and I'm strongly considering emulating the pic below. Not with all HD parts (possible some) mostly after market as it appears you can use larger speakers. 6.5 vs 5.25 in the lowers and 6x9 vs 5x7 in the bags. I guess my biggest concern is how will the amp perform in the saddle bag when it's packed full during a road trip?

I've been debating hard between a fairing or the CVO style setup. Still can't decide, however I do know when i purchased my bike I wanted a Road King and not a Street Glide.

I may post up a separate thread with questions and details.

Thanks!

Last edited by reesestewww; 03-14-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Damn autocorrect
Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 AM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by reesestewww
I have a Road King myself and I'm strongly considering emulating the pic below. Not with all HD parts (possible some) mostly after market as it appears you can use larger speakers. 6.5 vs 5.25 in the lowers and 6x9 vs 5x7 in the bags. I guess my biggest concern is how will the amp perform in the saddle bag when it's packed full during a road trip?

I've been debating hard between a fairing or the CVO style setup. Still can't decide, however I do know when i purchased my bike I wanted a Road King and not a Street Glide.

I may post up a separate thread with questions and details.

Thanks!

I am wanting sound too. I don't want handlebar speakers..... Not sure about lower fairing, definitely no batwing, and I don't know about speakers in the saddlebag lids.... Maybe I should ride next to a car with their window down haha

I'm thinking of speakers In the front of the bags, like this -

But with these speakers and amp in saddlebags, cut cut way down on storage

Attached Thumbnails audio system for bike WITHOUT a fairing-image.jpg  

Last edited by C.H.L.; 03-24-2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-24-2013, 09:23 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

the pic above is the new RK CVO. This setup is very attainable on your RK and the route you choose to go is based on 2 things;

1.) your budget for the project
2.) you must know what you want and expect from your system in the end BEFORE you begin.

Personally I think the speakers in the front of the bags like that look like crap and really unless you've got a set of ears at your ankles (get your mind out of the gutter) I don't feel they're going to do anything for you.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 AM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
the pic above is the new RK CVO. This setup is very attainable on your RK and the route you choose to go is based on 2 things;

2.) you must know what you want and expect from your system in the end BEFORE you begin.

Personally I think the speakers in the front of the bags like that look like crap and really unless you've got a set of ears at your ankles (get your mind out of the gutter) I don't feel they're going to do anything for you.
Dang it! You are so right. I didn't even think about the speakers being pointed toward my feet hahaha

Back to the drawing board. Good catch man.

I think the speakers in the front lowers would be most benificial. Lot of room in there to get some good speakers. It would also be easy to hide wires.

Any opinions on highway speed sound with ONLY speakers in Lowers and no saddle bag speakers????

I still don't know if I want orange lowers on my bike or not....

Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ

Very good advise. The "expect" is what I'm not sure of...? I need to find RK CVO owners and get feedback from them.

I use a Sena SMH10 in my helmet now. However I just like the option to jam above and beyond what the Sena offers.

UltraNutz, any idea on how the Soundstream amp would perform when stashed in a fully packed saddle bag? I just can't imagine it won't shut down. I'm invisioning some type of mount that protects the top so that nothing can be placed directly againg it.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by C.H.L.
Any opinions on highway speed sound with ONLY speakers in Lowers and no saddle bag speakers????
a good pair of 6.5" speakers and a nice little 2 channel amp to drive them will certainly give you a pretty good sound even for just lowers.

The amp itself, you could route a 3.5MM cable from your handlebars back to your amp and plug in any device that has headphone outputs on it. That will take care of your volume control..

Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 AM
cgmartine
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you considered wearing a helmet headset and connecting the cord to a 3.5 converted extention cord, which is then inserted in the auxuliary port of your Ipod? This way, you can hear the handle bar speakers and at the same time, hear the music in the headphones? I also use a small device for my intercom system, which has three ports. Two are for each of the headset cords, passenger and rider, and the third port goes to the Ipod, which has a two connector ports, one for the wire coming in from the headseats, and the other to the handle bar speakers.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 AM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cgmartine
Have you considered wearing a helmet headset and connecting the cord to a 3.5 converted extention cord, which is then inserted in the auxuliary port of your Ipod? This way, you can hear the handle bar speakers and at the same time, hear the music in the headphones? I also use a small device for my intercom system, which has three ports. Two are for each of the headset cords, passenger and rider, and the third port goes to the Ipod, which has a two connector ports, one for the wire coming in from the headseats, and the other to the handle bar speakers.
Most of the time, I wear a half helmet... Doing ear buds now

Quick Reply: audio system for bike WITHOUT a fairing