Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started Stero Upgrade How do I finish?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM
rrcrum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Started Stero Upgrade How do I finish?

Well I have a 97 Ultra Classic with removable trunk. I have taken out the original stereo and front speakers and replaced with a biketronic system that included:

Sony CDX-GT700HD head unit (has front amp, rear amp and sub amp RCA outputs)
Hogtunes 914.2 front speaker (5.75 ohms)

Not really using rear speakers since trunk removed, I can say for the $500 I paid for all this not really impressed, need more.

I have been reading many of the threads especially UltraNutZ some great info but so much spread out info has my head a spining, with all the types of amps, diffent Ohms, 2/4 channel amps etc.

What I would like to have in the end is the two fairing speakers, 1 amp and two 6.5" lower fairing speakers would like the amp to fit in front fairing and not be prone to overheating etc. Any suggestions on what speakers/ type/brand/model amp (2 or 4 channel etc), and how to wire speakers, all considering the best bang for the buck.

Any and all comments welcome help me build a kick *** system without having to fork out over $400 for them typical bike amps I see. Although I will be putting the rear trunk on from time to time I do not plan on them speakers being a factor in the system if at all.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Go with the Ultra Nutz special, you will not be disappointed. Many of folks have put this system with no regrets and, it doesn't hurt the pocket book too bad. I have been through several different set ups and very happy with what I have, Sound Stream PN520.4, 2 sets of Polk MM651, biketronics retro kit and Sony radio DSX310 and this system is great for parking lot show offs and more importantly, you can sing along at 80mph.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
rrcrum
Tourer

Just read through a very long 34 page some excellent info posted by all and UltraNutz now I am thinking if maybe I would be happy with just the two front fairing speakers, and good amp and speakers, hear lot of people talking about SS amp and the polk speakers. Alright I am putting down the computer and breathin in for a while, good info on here.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
2007z71
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rrcrum
Just read through a very long 34 page some excellent info posted by all and UltraNutz now I am thinking if maybe I would be happy with just the two front fairing speakers, and good amp and speakers, hear lot of people talking about SS amp and the polk speakers. Alright I am putting down the computer and breathin in for a while, good info on here.
I am in the middle of Ultra's set up now. Soundstream amp and 2 polk's. I'm pretty stoaked.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 AM
rrcrum
Tourer

I am thinking I may start with the SS 4 channel amp and polks up front (get rid of hogtunes) to begin with and then have the availablity later to put in my rear POD speakers. Being a 1997 I think I only have 4" speakers in the rear trunk PODs wich is kinda why I was considering lower fairing speakers.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

rrcrum. Well you've got a headstart with the head unit and biketronics kit so this will be an inexpensive upgrade for you sir.

Here's what I would do first if I were in your shoes. You might find that you do not need an amp at all. These 5.75 ohm 5.25" speakers are killing your audio. Bad combination for an aftermarket radio mainly because of the impedance/ohms. I'm assuming these speakers were purchased and installed prior to replacing the stock radio?

Get a set of Polk DB651 6.5" (these are 4 ohm) speakers and install those with a set of 6.5" speaker adapter rings from Cycle Sounds and see how you like it. If you still think you need more, then you can get something like the SS PN4.520D amp, bridge it's 4 channel outputs into 2 channels (easy to do), and power those speakers with that. I'm sure you'll like that. You don't sound like you've convinced yourself yet to put lower speakers in yet. If I'm wrong let me know and we'll talk about a different configuration.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
rrcrum
Tourer

UltraNutz,

Thanks for the reply, I wish I had bought the speakers separate now, they actually came with the biketronics kit I bought for $500 when I replaced the head unit. Gonna give the speaker upgrade and probably SS amp a try to begin. Do you think I would have any concern putting the 6.5 and adapters in a 1997 fairing. When I bought the biketronics kit they had separate adapter only for 97-98 models to just fit the 5 1/4 speakers I have now.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

ah that's right! sorry forgot about those having 4" stock speakers.. hmm.. lemme check.. BRB

Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by rrcrum
UltraNutz,

Thanks for the reply, I wish I had bought the speakers separate now, they actually came with the biketronics kit I bought for $500 when I replaced the head unit. Gonna give the speaker upgrade and probably SS amp a try to begin. Do you think I would have any concern putting the 6.5 and adapters in a 1997 fairing. When I bought the biketronics kit they had separate adapter only for 97-98 models to just fit the 5 1/4 speakers I have now.
hmm.. i'm a little confused and I'll tell you why.. According to HD, from 1997 on up uses the same inner fairing which would be a 5.25" speaker hole therefore would use the same ring adapters as my 12' would. More research shows that the HD part # for the speaker replacement in your 1997 fairing is 77010-96A which is a 5.25" speaker. Is there some anomaly with the 97-98 fairings that I'm missing?

Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 AM
rrcrum
Tourer

Not that I know of either the only reason I mentioned it was when I bought the kit from biketronics they claimed I needed the adapter which they sent for the hogtune 5.25 speakers. Only thing I can think of is maybe the fairing bracing system may have been different. Maybe I can check out some part manuals and see if the bracing was different.

Quick Reply: Started Stero Upgrade How do I finish?