Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 05:56 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Noob question

Hello all, new guy here. I've been looking through some audio posts, and I think I'm undereducated on the subject, so I'll just put this out there. I have an 05 Electra Classic (not the Ultra). Factory tunes and fairing speakers. No tour pack pods, which is ok since I'm doing the detatchable pack anyway, and no lowers. I'm thinking lids. So with y'all having done audio, what would you do different if you were starting from stock? I'm confused by ohm requirements. I see most everything is advertised for 06 and newer and have 2 ohms impedence, and I have 8 ohms.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

ditch the front stock speakers and get a set of aftermarket speakers to put up there along with your lids. If you go with 4 ohm speakers in the front and in rear lids then I would suggest the RF PBR300x2 amp and wire your speakers in parallel so your amp will see a 2 ohm load.

That means run your rear speaker wires up to the front, tie them into your front speakers wires; positive to positive, negative to negative and tie that into the amp. The amp is stable at 2 ohms and will handle this 2 ohm load.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 12-13-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
ditch the front stock speakers and get a set of aftermarket speakers to put up there along with your lids. If you go with 4 ohm speakers in the front and in rear lids then I would suggest the RF PBR300x2 amp and wire your speakers in parallel so your amp will see a 2 ohm load.

That means run your rear speaker wires up to the front, tie them into your front speakers wires; positive to positive, negative to negative and tie that into the amp. The amp is stable at 2 ohms and will handle this 2 ohm load.
Wouldn't that preclude any use of the fade function? Is there an amp that wants something besides 2 ohms? I'm aware that some use a second amp for the rears but I'd prefer to just use just one, hidden in the fairing.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

i don't like the RF PBR300x4, just a dissapointing amp to me. The Soundstream PN4.520d is a good amp and fits inside the fairing and is enough power to run your setup more than sufficiently at 4 ohm loads. Any amp that is stable at 2 ohms will handle anything higher with a decrease in volume level being the loss.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 PM
scootinz
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
i don't like the RF PBR300x4, just a dissapointing amp to me. The Soundstream PN4.520d is a good amp and fits inside the fairing and is enough power to run your setup more than sufficiently at 4 ohm loads. Any amp that is stable at 2 ohms will handle anything higher with a decrease in volume level being the loss.
just plain john...I am traveling this road as well...

Thanks to all the advice from UltraNutZ I went ahead and went for the Soundstream PN4.520d @ $125.00 shipped from http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.as...FetDMgodrBIAEg

I was reading up on the RF amps but I did not like reading about how hot they run. Heat will only do one thing. Kill whatever it is. I just got the SS amp and it's a nice looking little amp and does NOT feel cheap. Found a pretty good review of it. The reviewer tested in a car and it was pushed hard for 45 minutes and was cool to the touch. That means one thing in electronics. Efficiency and longevity!

I'm excited to get everything wired up but I am still deciding on the rest of my set up. I WAS going to do the Ipod interface from Iron Cross until I found the Sony head units that store the Ipod right in the head unit itself or will play from a thumb drive hidden in the deck. The unit has no CD player but this is how it has the room for the Ipod/thumb drive.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...DSX-S210X.html

There is a 310 model that had bluetooth, but thats pointless on a bike if ya ask me.

The Ipod or thumb drive can be controlled from the handlebars and displayed on the deck using the biketronics retro radio install kit seen here:
http://www.biketronics.com/categories/RetroRadio%E2%84%A2-Radio-Install-Kits/

and it is literally all plug and play using that kit and the biketronics Sony harness connector seen here:
http://www.biketronics.com/products/...Connector.html

This set up is literally the same price if I ran the Ipod to the bag and had the fancy HD holder that held the Ipod in the pouch like what comes on the CVO's. Plus now I don't have to drill a hole in my bag to run a wire from the Ipod interface in the faring to the bag for the Ipod. it simply slips in the Sony deck.

I have not researched speakers yet. I have Hog Tunes but knowing how I am and how disappointed I was after getting my bike (dealer sold me on hog tunes but I was 100% green to tunes on a HD as this was my first bagger.) I'm sure I will upgrade them as well BUT I will give them a listen with the amp before I yank them.

I also run a detachable tour pack and I will most likely run wires for the rears for whatever I decide to do later. I don't like the look of the lids. Just not crazy about having to see a speaker on top of my bag. I like clean lines and to me a speaker on top of the bag just wrecks the overall look of the SG in the back, so I will most likely go for pods in the rear so when the wife rides she has some sound. I"m just planning on getting a really good sounding set up for the front, keep using the hog tunes tweeter bar and possibly down the road run some small LJ's for bass in the bags down low facing the rear rim.

So just a few ideas from what I have seen, heard and read. It has taken me all summer of riding, looking and now reading to start pulling the trigger on buying some goodies. Good luck! It's a mountain of info, but with as many set ups as it sounds like UltraNutZ has tried I think he has a good idea of what sounds decent on out bikes AND he is a wealth of info on this topic!!!

Last edited by scootinz; 12-14-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:51 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the input guys, I think more research is in order