Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3's Only? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question is "Why would you have your entire music library downloaded in a compressed format?"

Is that the only way you listen? Even at home?

Shakey

Old 02-25-2012, 03:38 AM
2011_Glide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
My question is "Why would you have your entire music library downloaded in a compressed format?"

Is that the only way you listen? Even at home?

Shakey
It might be that he wanted to reduce space and get rid of his CD's ..I have alot of Marines that don't keep the CDs anymore. They will rip them and give them to somone else. Less clutter and space, not to mention, worrying about scatching the CD.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

It might be that he wanted to reduce space and get rid of his CD's ..I have alot of Marines that don't keep the CDs anymore. They will rip them and give them to somone else. Less clutter and space, not to mention, worrying about scatching the CD.
That's ok if convenience and space are your only concerns. That is, if you don't mind that the sound quality is akin to hammered dog sh^t.......

Shakey

Old 03-07-2012, 01:16 AM
K00LJerk
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your bike is parked I'm sure sound quality counts, at 70 the wind cancels it all out. Mp3 is fine for me looking into the HD or aftermarket interface that lets you hook up iPod/iPhone directly while charging

Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

If your bike is parked I'm sure sound quality counts, at 70 the wind cancels it all out.
I agree completely. I use both MP3s and uncompressed files on my bike. But when listening seriously at home, it's only 16/44 or higher rez files when digital. But first and foremost, vinyl is king!

BTW, my Alpine deck has USB out and I run the cable along the frame and into the right saddle bag where I plug in my iPod. Works great.

Shakey

Last edited by Shakeydeal; 03-07-2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: edit
Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

i got tired of jacking with the idiosyncrasies of the HK unit and MP3s.. sometimes they played, sometimes they didn't, sometimes they played in random, sometimes they didn't, NEVER did it play every track on a CD..

Replaced it with the Sony DSX-S310BTX headunit and Biketronics Retro Kit and no more issues.. listen to whatever the heck I want to, in whatever order I want to, and at whatever bitrate/sampling I want to and I'll never scratch it! Not to mention 2000+ songs on my ipod.. if the ipod fails, I have my iphone.. Couldn't be happier!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:20 PM
jl207299
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
in iTunes, go to edit, preferences. select import settings
set import using: to MP3
set setting: to higher quality 192
select ok
now go back to your library, press CTRL+A to select all
then right click somewhere in that highlighted range and tell it to create MP3 version.
go back and remove all the AAC files if you want.
I love intelligent answers! Beat me to it, but good job explaining it.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I think I know the answer, and I'm not going to like it. So, the HK unit will only read MP3's? No other compressed formats, like . . . . say AAC?! Quite some time ago I bit the bullet and now have everything in AAC (was MP3). Even the cheapest CD/DVD players will read a handful of formats. I'm right on this one, huh? Ugh!

So, given I have 5K+ songs in AAC, do you all have some suggestions? I know I can convert AAC to MP3, but in iTunes I think it creates a duplicate of the AAC so you end up with both items in your library. Any other ideas . . . . like anything that will convert while writing to the CD?

Yes, I know I can pick up the $500 gizmo from HD, and I can use the AUX input. Just looking to use the CD player if I can.

Thanks for any feedback!
ACC is Apple's proprietary format. Only Apple players use ACC format files, everyone else uses MP3 (an open standard). Basically ACC is MP3 format with some added copy protection information that only works on Apple players. It is best to keep music files in MP3 format except where you are forced to convert the MP3 files to ACC so you can play the files on an IPOD. ITunes also distributes it's songs in ACC format. Other on line music vendors sell music in MP3 format.

Last edited by fat_tony; 03-11-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
ACC is Apple's proprietary format. Only Apple players use ACC format files, everyone else uses MP3 (an open standard). Basically ACC is MP3 format with some added copy protection information that only works on Apple players. It is best to keep music files in MP3 format except where you are forced to convert the MP3 files to ACC so you can play the files on an IPOD. ITunes also distributes it's songs in ACC format. Other on line music vendors sell music in MP3 format.
This is another reason why I do not like Apple Products.