Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:30 PM
bubdifab
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaker Upgrade Question

I see here that a lot of people upgrade their speakers, which is what I would like to do. I'm not interested in buying an amp, just speakers. My question is simple, but I haven't been able to find an answer. I've searched quite a bit, so sorry if this has been asked before:

will any 6.5 speaker work? It seems as though I can find them much cheaper if i buy pioneer, sony, etc. than buying hogtunes, hawg wired, j&m, or any other brand specific to an MC stereo. im not looking for top of the line, just something thats a step up from stock.

If there is any reason why i need to go the route of the more expensive speakers, please let me know. this could be a nice sticky for someone new to HD and MC stereo components.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 418 Likes on 190 Posts

Since your bike is an '06, your speakers need to be 2ohm to match the head unit (assuming it's stock). If you buy 6.5's you'll need adapter rings to fit the 5.25 holes. Something weatherproof would also help.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 AM
bubdifab
Tourer

ok, well i just bought an aftermarket head unit. ill make sure the speakers pair up with the unit. i have read so many things tonight that 6.5 just came to mind. id probably stick with 5.25 unless the adapter ring is cheap enough.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 AM
GBond
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are talking only the front faring speakers right. If you have an after market headunit then your choices are pretty much endless. Don't waste your time with 5.25, the adapters are not that expensive. You will get better sound out of 6.5 speakers and since you are upgrading anyways go the extra. Weather proof are nice but not a necessity since the adapters pull the speakers back from the grill another inch or so. I put in a pair of JBL's on a sony head unit and all has been great.

Last edited by GBond; 02-19-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 AM
bubdifab
Tourer

Yeah, just front speakers. im not an audiophile by any means, just want a little extra kick. i figure since i am upgrading the head unit, i may as well see if i can throw an inexpensive but decent pair of speakers in there too. i saw some adapters on fleabay for 15 bucks. sounds like a plan. thanks for the help!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

i had 6.5" polk audio speakers in my aftermarket bat-wing fairing and they sounded great and were waterproof (waterproof as speakers can be). And at $89, they were disposable.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:27 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bubdifab
ok, well i just bought an aftermarket head unit. ill make sure the speakers pair up with the unit. i have read so many things tonight that 6.5 just came to mind. id probably stick with 5.25 unless the adapter ring is cheap enough.
There's no such thing as "cheap", but excellent sound. I'm no audiophile, and it helps folks responding if you tell readers what head unit you have or are planning to use,

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 AM
Motor City Street Glide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would have gotten better bang for you buck, if you had invested in an amplifier and an inexpensive set of 4 ohm speakers.

The Source unit is not the weakest link in the HD system, the lack of clean undistorted power (wattage) is the issue.

If you had kept your stock head unit, and purchased a small amplifier like the Rockford Fosgate PBR 300x4 which produces 75 watts RMS X 4 (into a 4ohm load).

You would need to replace the stock speakers with an inexpensive, yet more than proficient for the application pair of 4ohm speakers.

I see the PBR amp here locally at stores in Mi for $170, with a signal/ noise ratio >80db. (s/n ratio = how loud you can turn it up before clipping/distortion. The higher the better)

I see a very nice set of Polk audio 6.5" speakers with a efficiency of 92db (@1watt per meter) and a Rms power rating of 125 watts(250 watts max). $150

HOLD the phones, I now see that ther is a PBR 300x2 which is 2ohm stable, meaning it will work with your stock speakers.

Adding an amplifier with clean power, will give you the best bang for you buck possible. It is the first area that should be adressed!

The only thing that the Hogwire/JM systems do is make you amp essientally a plug and play endever, and for this they charge you a hefty premium.

They (the manufactures of plug an play) prey on the fact that "most" HD riders dont understand mobil audio spefications. If "most" riders did they would realize that they could get better "VALUE for there money" with aftermarket ie car audio components.

(sorry for crappy spelling, my spell checker is inoperative)

#putting on my flame proof suit.

Last edited by Motor City Street Glide; 02-22-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:29 PM
slick813
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor City Street Glide
You would have gotten better bang for you buck, if you had invested in an amplifier and an inexpensive set of 4 ohm speakers.

The Source unit is not the weakest link in the HD system, the lack of clean undistorted power (wattage) is the issue.

If you had kept your stock head unit, and purchased a small amplifier like the Rockford Fosgate PBR 300x4 which produces 75 watts RMS X 4 (into a 4ohm load).

You would need to replace the stock speakers with an inexpensive, yet more than proficient for the application pair of 4ohm speakers.

I see the PBR amp here locally at stores in Mi for $170, with a signal/ noise ratio >80db. (s/n ratio = how loud you can turn it up before clipping/distortion. The higher the better)

I see a very nice set of Polk audio 6.5" speakers with a efficiency of 92db (@1watt per meter) and a Rms power rating of 125 watts(250 watts max). $150

HOLD the phones, I now see that ther is a PBR 300x2 which is 2ohm stable, meaning it will work with your stock speakers.

Adding an amplifier with clean power, will give you the best bang for you buck possible. It is the first area that should be adressed!

The only thing that the Hogwire/JM systems do is make you amp essientally a plug and play endever, and for this they charge you a hefty premium.

They (the manufactures of plug an play) prey on the fact that "most" HD riders dont understand mobil audio spefications. If "most" riders did they would realize that they could get better "VALUE for there money" with aftermarket ie car audio components.

(sorry for crappy spelling, my spell checker is inoperative)

#putting on my flame proof suit.
I have a 2010 CVO Ultra that has the amp under the tour pack, could I get one of these PBR amps and get rid of the one under the tour pak, which speakers should I go with, would it do me that much better to replace the OEM speakers. This whole audio thing is greek to me, thanks for your help.