Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HogTunes Amp installed now no reception!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Clwtr HD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HogTunes Amp installed now no reception!!

I have done a quick search on this but had little luck as most posts were from '08'.

I have a 09 Street Glide that I just had the "upgraded" Hog Tunes speakers and amp installed. I also have the hidden fairing antenna installed. With that said....I now only get one of the previous 10 pre-set stations to even come in clear enough to listen to. WTF???? Has anyone had this problem and can give me some guidance on trouble shooting this issue??

I've always had the hidden antenna with no issues until now.

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you using the power from the cig lighter for the amp and the antenna? I recently installed the Hogtunes kit and in fairing antenna and the both use the cig lighter power wire. Just make sure your antenna has power to it. I'm no expert on this subject by any means so this is the best I can do.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Clwtr HD
Advanced

Thanks for the response. I did not do the work so I can not answer the question but I will ask the person that did. Thanks again!!! This is very frustrating.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Sparky73
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any luck? I have the exact same problem. I suspect it's because my amp sits on top of the stereo and is about 2" from my antenna when the batwing is buttoned up. With all the power/RF going through the amp, I'm thinking that it's putting serious RF interference around the antenna. To prove this, I had the top of the batwing opened up and placed my hand between the amp and antenna...all the stations came in. Moved my hand out of the way and no reception!

I know my antenna has power because the amp turns on and my cig lighter works (all same circuit).

Has anyone been able to use the hidden antenna with an amp? For now, I'm back to my mini-whip antenna and I hate the look! I may have to go backyard custom on this one...

Last edited by Sparky73; 03-11-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-18-2012, 10:41 PM
eng23ine
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue and contacted hogtunes about it.

Apparently both the amp and the amplified antenna are digital and put out similar "RF" frequencies which causes the weaker one (antenna) to malfunction.

Hogtunes is aware of this issue and said they are working on it and will send out whatever "fix" they come up with at no charge to anyone having these issues.

It still sucks that I have a $$ amp in my fairing that's not even hooked up.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 PM
silverado636
Cruiser

Originally Posted by eng23ine
I have the same issue and contacted hogtunes about it.

Apparently both the amp and the amplified antenna are digital and put out similar "RF" frequencies which causes the weaker one (antenna) to malfunction.

Hogtunes is aware of this issue and said they are working on it and will send out whatever "fix" they come up with at no charge to anyone having these issues.

It still sucks that I have a $$ amp in my fairing that's not even hooked up.

I am having the same problem. Guess i ll hook up the whip antenna and try that. Thanks for the info

Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 AM
RG Rider
Stage II
Default Hogtunes Amp problems

I had the same issue when I installed the Hogtunes amp and speakers in my Road Glide. I contacted Hogtunes and they knew about the issue, the old revision amp had a high RF output that interferred witht the antenna for the radio. They sent me a new revision amp and I'm installing it this weekend to see if it helps. The old revision amp has 2 black screws in the top of the amp the new revision does not have them and also has REV 70.2 in the name plate.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Spitz88
6th Gear

Is there any other way to get rid of the interference?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spitz88
Is there any other way to get rid of the interference?
I responded to the thread in the main Touring section. I think your best bet is to get ahold of Pez.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:33 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good reason to upgrade !!

Quick Reply: HogTunes Amp installed now no reception!!