Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to hook up Zumo to fairing speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:14 PM
dbradley
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to hook up Zumo to fairing speakers??

I have an 09' Screamin Eagle Road Glide, I am trying to hook up my Zumo Road Tech 660 so the directions will broadcast through the speakers in the fairing also so I can play my music stored within the Zumo. The dealer has been no help so far and I am hoping that someone here can steer me in the right direction. Thx Dave

Old 12-28-2011, 05:01 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealer should show you a Navigation Interface Module
Part # 76000024A

Old 12-28-2011, 06:37 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

you can either go with the navigation module as I.C.A. stated above or you can simply plug in the "mini-headphone" cable from your Zumo to the Aux input on the front of your HD radio.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The navigation interface module will not allow music to be played through the stock radio.

Its only purpose is to allow GPS directions to interrupt other music sources of the radio such as AM, FM, and CD, so you can hear the directions. You seem to have the HD Road Tech version of the Zumo and that's good as the interface module only works with the HD Road Tech. It will not work with the standard Garmin Zumo.

If you want to be able to listen to AM, FM, or CD's through your radio and still hear GPS directions, the only option I know of is to get the interface module.

If you want to play MP3 files from the Zumo, the only way that I know to do it is to run the audio out from the Road Tech to the auxiliary in port on the radio and set the radio to auxiliary.

If you think you will primarily listen to MP3 files, I think I would seriously consider not purchasing the interface module. There's no reason to install it unless you want to listen to the regular radio while navigating. I've found that I primarily listen to satellite radio on my bike which comes through the 550 I have as I get tired of changing stations as they fade in and out as I ride. If I'm riding locally and want to listen to a local radio station, I generally am not using the GPS so listening for directions is not an issue.

If I misstated anything, hopefully others will correct me.

Last edited by Morris9982; 12-28-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:09 PM
DRWegener
Intermediate

Nice write up, does the XM come thur the auxiliary jack?
Thanks

Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DRWegener
Nice write up, does the XM come thur the auxiliary jack?
Thanks
It does with the 550 that I have. I'm guessing the 660/665 (whichever has the XM) would work the same way.

If not, hopefully someone will correct me.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
boblkat
Novice

Morris is right I have my 550 zumo set up on the aux plug on the radio and everything
Works great

Old 02-08-2012, 06:41 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

from the 450 on up, every sound that the zumo makes will come through the radio when it's plugged into the aux input on the front of the radio.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:49 AM
margin5
Cruiser

Hey guys this thread is just what I was looking for. I just picked my bike up from the dealer who installed the Zumo 665. I was expecting to hear the gps and xm radio through the speakers but can't. My guess is he did not install the interface module so I will just use a wire as you say. My question - when I got home the XM antenna was still in the box. Wouldn't you expect the install ($120) to include mounting the XM antenna inside the fairing? I have read most people put in on top of the radio. Am I missing something here?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

LOL.. are you kidding me.. I see that dealers around WI are just the same as they are everywhere else.. Absolutely fricking clueless. That XM antenna gets mounted inside the fairing on a bracket that should also be in the box with the antenna...

Quick Reply: How to hook up Zumo to fairing speakers??