Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:38 PM
richsabre1100
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio stopped working

Good day folks! I have a 2009 Ultra with the Kardon AM/FM/CD/MP3 player. Riding the cycle yesterday morning the radio and cd player worked fine. At the end of the day, the radio display is working as usual and have a fully functioning system, but have no sound from the speakers. I have checked the fuses behind the left side cover and they are all good. Owners manual says there is a 30 amp amplifier fuse under the tour pak but I cannot find anything. What else should I look for?

Old 10-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Give Iron Cross audio a call, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

www.ironcrossaudio.com

Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 AM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had sort of the opposite happen. Radio on my '09 FLTR worked, but the display went dead. There's a lot of online chat suggesting that these HK units are NOT very robust and prone to failure. I considered Iron Cross to repair my unit ($250 flat fee) but figured I'd still have a questionable system after the repair. In the end, I opted for a Sony DSX-MS60 radio (marine unit with water resistant electronics) and a Hawg Wired HSA-470 installation kit:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...FUqK4AodHAyFOA

http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.p...products_id=36

At $150 for the radio + $240 for the installation kit PLUS I sold my dysfunctional HK radio to Iron Cross for $200, the whole set-up cost me a net of $190 and I've got a NEW Sony and all my thumb controls work. Finally, one nice thing about the Sony - it doesn't have a CD player BUT a "drawer" which allows you to plug in an iPOD or memory stick directly and tuck it away inside & behind the faceplate. I've got a 4GB memory stick in there with hundreds of songs (and room for hundreds more). Sony makes a CD-player version, but I'm glad I chose this one.

Good luck with your radio woes.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

All of the above, expecially contacting Iron Cross Audio, are good suggestions.

You should also check your vertical fairing brackets for breaks; if one breaks it causes more vibration to the head unit. Also, check the riser bolts to see if they are hitting the bottom of the HK radio; it's another source of transmitting vibration to the HK radio. HD introduced reinforced vertical fairing brackets and riser bolts with shorter heads to address these problems.

Carl

Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2009 FLHX HK radio did the exact same thing. Suddenly and without notice, it stopped working. Display is all OK, but no audio. It was like that all summer. Then suddenly, it started working again. That was a week ago and it still works.

I'm afraid though, it will go out again without notice. So please share what Iron Cross audio said. Did they offer up anything that we can do to help the issue?

Jim

Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

the wiring harness for your boom amp goes from the amp to the fairing for the front speakers and radio connection. The power and ground are run along the left tourpak rail under the seat where they attach to the battery. Check under the seat for the fuse for your amp.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately your not the only one, lots of us have endured the same problem. I am on my 3rd Harmond Kardon, original, one under the factory warranty and one under my extended warranty.
Just one more MoCo known design fault.
The SH-t we put up with to ride a Harley.