Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawg Wired Double Shot w/ZX Series Speakers (Part # PSC/ZX)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:46 AM
BubbasHD
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hawg Wired Double Shot w/ZX Series Speakers (Part # PSC/ZX)

Greetings Gang,
Thanks for all the feedback and helpful tips. Special thanks to Frank at Drago’s Bike Works! After many many weeks perusing the site and gaining some varying tips and opinions for an audio upgrade, I opted for the 150W Double Shot package from Hawg Wired. I wanted to stay as far below a grand as I could, and get the most out of my 2-speaker setup on the bike.

I felt I could handle the install myself, to save some duckets, and will advise anyone else considering the job to ensure you have a decent shop, a variety of tools (including a hammer!), and some patience and problem-solving skills before approaching a project like this. It is not a quick “plug-and-play” scenario, and will take the part-timer a full day, if not that and some change.

Almost everything you need comes in the kit from Hawg Wired. I added connector ends for the speaker leads where they mount to the amp. (they weren’t included) All else was there in the kit.

Challenges:
First was studying the bike (2009 Electraglide Classic) and how the wiring ran through a box-channel beneath the gas tank, from the battery to the fairing. It took some thinking to get the amplifier power cable run through this channel, but it can be done. This saves you from worrying about it getting too close to the engine and overheating, even though they do include a heat sleeve for the cable. I did remove the tank mounting bolts at the rear of the tank and propped the tank up about 3 or 4 inches to aid in accessing the wiring channel. The top of the channel will come loose and raise up as well aiding access. I used a steel fish-tape to help in this process.

Second was grounding to the frame. My bike did not have a screw in the frame where the instructions indicated there would be one. (holding a bracket for a primary wiring bundle) Instead, the wiring bundle bracket was riveted to the frame. I drilled out and removed the rivet, then tapped the opening to accept a threaded screw. (chrome of course) I reinstalled the bracket along with the amplifier ground wire with the new screw. Nice and secure! (see what I mean about tools?) If you don’t have a tap set, use a hardened steel bold that has the same thread pattern of your finish screw.

Third was reusing the horizontal support brackets. If I understood the directions, they indicated their removal. However, I didn’t care for the idea of not having the support so I chose to do a little “light fabrication” on them. (this is where the hammer came in handy!)

On with the show:
Once I navigated the challenges, it was a fairly seamless installation. Stock speaker removal and the installation of the new speakers were straightforward. Removing the connectors from the lighter and the speakers was more difficult than anticipated, but don’t give up and don’t use too much force. My tip here is to try and work the connector on both axis a little bit while applying pull force. The lighter connection turned out to be the toughest. Do be careful here, the connector strength is more than the sub-materials and you can easily destroy your lighter or stock speakers. (if you care)

Once I had everything staged in place, and wired up, I ran several tests and adjusted tuning. Then, I tore it all down and reinstalled it in the permanent setup, with wiring all routed and dressed in proper and affixing the Velcro pads as instructed.

Results:
I have to say I was impressed with the results. At first, I was a little nervous as the sound was quite different than anticipated, but that was before proper tuning tasks began. Also, realize this system is a more ‘accurate’ representation of the recording. (thus the requirement to use a mastered, or store bought, CD for tuning, not the radio or a MP3) This system will bring out the weakness in some MP3 source files. J

The sound from this package is much clearer and cleaner. The range of sound is much deeper than the 20W stock system. An unfortunate after affect of the upgrade is finding out how weak some of my MP3s are. The old system apparently masked them, and that might be why I always thought the sound was tone shallow. With the new system, I swear I can hear the guy’s fingers letting loose of the guitar strings on some acoustic pieces in addition to the notes themselves. What this system is not is a chest-thumping bass box. (it's just a 6.5" 2-speaker system after all) However, on good sources, there is plenty of bass.

Don’t be in a rush to put your fairing back on until you have tuned and tested both inside your shop or garage, and outside. By the time I hit the rack Friday night my ears were screaming. I had been tuning inside the garage and, of course, maxing out volume on several selections. (my neighbor advised the following morning he was well aware of my adventures past 10:30 the previous evening and I had my garage door closed!) I finished up my tuning outside in the driveway the next morning. (much to the chagrin of more neighbors I’m certain)

Your final challenge might be in the tuning department so take your time – as individual preference is probably all over the place on Frequency and Gain settings. I opted for a Gain that was inside the recommended ‘standard settings’ and a Frequency that was somewhat less than the standard range. This amp will overpower these speakers, so don’t jack your Gain to the max (except for a minute just to have some fun) – it only causes distortion and gives you a tin-box sound.

I am very happy with this package. For the kit, and cost, it is a very nice system.

Thanks again for Frank’s help in providing the product. Time for a road trip!

Photos along the way and before-and-after videos can be found at: http://www.photoshop.com/users/carters/albums/7e10432c8c9b4b4f92458cf2d0854b6d

Cheers!

Last edited by BubbasHD; 06-27-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:56 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Has the faring bracket held up? Did it require a lot of bending to make fit?

Last edited by hog95023; 04-14-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:16 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbasHD
After many many weeks perusing the site and gaining some varying tips and opinions for an audio upgrade, I opted for the 150W Double Shot package from Hawg Wired. I wanted to stay as far below a grand as I could, and get the most out of my 2-speaker setup on the bike.
Sorry, but with all the advice on here,........you failed miserably in your quest. I'd like to see a link where someone recommended this set-up.

Glad you like your system,.....however ......you could have gotten a LOT more,( twice ),......... for a LOT less,...................like a third, or so. ( $300 )

Guys are slowly learning that the motorcycle specific, 'plug & play' systems, aren't nearly as good as the car audio stuff, and less than half the price.

Paying $800 for a 75 watt per channel system, for only 2 channels,....should be illegal in most states.....

If you like the sound,....the only real thing you are out is cash........

Wish people would do their research first, before throwing away cash on inferior systems. Especially guys with little to know audio knowledge.

A LOT of guys on here are willing to help with advice, suggestions, trouble shooting, etc.....................take advantage of it !!

At the end of the day, a good deal is a state of mind. If you think you got a good deal, that's all that matters.

Not trying to come off as a d!ck, but I get tired of hearing about guys getting peeled for $ 800 for a 2 speaker , 75 watt per channel, stock head unit system.

PS. I get quite a few PM's about audio advice, technical stuff , etc....... I answer EVERY one of them !! People ,.PLEASE don't be afraid to ask questions.....That's the only way to get educated !!

OK,....I'm done ranting...

Last edited by GLACIERPEARL; 04-14-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:10 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just noticed that Bubba's original post is almost 2 years old........

Unfortunately, not too many guys were talking audio back then, although my 'signature' build was posted some time before that.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:28 PM
BubbasHD
Advanced
Default Bended Bracket ?

Originally Posted by hog95023
Has the faring bracket held up? Did it require a lot of bending to make fit?
Yes, it's held up quite well. It was just a bit of finessing. Nothing major.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 PM
BubbasHD
Advanced
Default Saw you then. Did give it some thought.

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Just noticed that Bubba's original post is almost 2 years old........

Unfortunately, not too many guys were talking audio back then, although my 'signature' build was posted some time before that.
Hey there.
I recall seeing your post back when I was putting my interest to reality. I searched high and low for solid input. I think you're right, not much was found at that time. If I recall, I classified you [your information] in the "knows what he's doing already and has connections kind of guy" class. I don't think we exchanged any info, but I can see you'd probably have been over my head.

I'm certain audio is a lot like computers. Sure, you can buy logic board, processor, video board, hard drive etc. to build a rock'n computer - if you know what you're doing.

For me, plug and play sold me.

I can't imagine what beyond this system would sound like - with only 2 5 & 1/4s up front, but I am curious.

I will say, after having some highway time with the Hawg Tunes, is that I still have them at a high range that will wear out your ears! I'd love more lower end and bass but I figured I'd have to part with this system and run 4s or bag speakers, neither of which I've made up my mind about. Changing out the fairing or putting holes in the bag lids hasn't won me over yet.

So, couple years later ... what's the news today?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbasHD
Third was reusing the horizontal support brackets. If I understood the directions, they indicated their removal. However, I didn’t care for the idea of not having the support so I chose to do a little “light fabrication” on them. (this is where the hammer came in handy!)
Smart man.. Wonder how many people actually followed the directions and screwed up their inner fairings in doing so over the long haul by not using those brackets?