Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Basic Car Audio Electronics" -- Excellent website for Audio information

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default "Basic Car Audio Electronics" -- Excellent website for Audio information

"Basic Car Audio Electronics" (http://www.bcae1.com/) is an excellent website for useful information on a lot of topics that seem to come up on HDF when someone is considering audio changes to their bike. Impedance, pre-amp outputs, tweeters, crossovers, series/parllel wiring, two-way/three-way speakers, etc. and a ton more are clearly explained on this website. If there was ever a "Audio for Dummies" website, this would be it. It includes neat calculators, audio clips, test tones, and much more for those who want to go deeper into the topics covered.

Many here are content with the stock HK set-up while others are into major modifications with amps in saddlebags/tour paks, speakers mounted in virtually every possible cavity on a bike where they'll fit. And most here, myself included, fall somewhere in between.

Whether you are only interested in plug and play installations from vendors, or you're willing to consider other alternatives, this website will help you understand (if you care to find out), what's going on electronically with these products. The website is not going to answer which speaker will sound better; which amp is a better amp; and, the like.

Also, the guy who writes the stuff will answer questions submitted by email. I hadn't used this feature until yesterday when I asked him if there is value in adding Dynamat, Dynaxorb, or Polyfil (a cotton candy-like product available at craft stores) to CVO speaker boxes to break-up the back wave behind the speakers--in fact, is "back wave" even a real consideration. He promptly replied that there is, especially for open back mid-range speakers. When I sent him the email I also included the thread I posted here showing the installation of the CVO speaker boxes so that he'd know what I had, and because I didn't know how familiar he'd be with our HD's.

As mentioned, this website is not selling speakers, amps, etc. But it answers a lot of questions I've had in making audio mods to my bike over the last couple of years, and it may answer some of yours, as well. And getting answers via email is a bonus.

Carl

Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bravo, thanks!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:17 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Great Job.

Again Carl, great job!!!! My dealer just called and my CVO boxes are sitting there waiting for me. Kris

Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Again Carl, great job!!!! My dealer just called and my CVO boxes are sitting there waiting for me. Kris
Great news! You didn't have to wait long for them did you?

I'm leaving my speaker boxes alone until the RF amp comes out; then I'll clean up the wiring and add some Polyfil to the boxes. I'd done the Polyfil to the Hogtunes fairing lower kit, but forgot about it when I did the CVO boxes. And I already have Dynaxorb behind the fairing speakers.

Carl