Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my "sidetone" on cb/intercom

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Odd Job
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my "sidetone" on cb/intercom

I have a 2009 Ultra Classic. I have been using my on board Harmon Kardon CB/AM/FM/INT without an issue for the past 2-years.

The normal mode of the CB/INT when you talk you will hear yourself, that's called a "sidetone". I was riding with friends who also use their CB's and all was working fine, transmitting and hearing the "sidetone". Made a stop, got back on the bike and rode off..when I transmitted to my buddies all of a sudden, no more "sidetone". I tried everything to get it back....

anyone have any suggestions or had this happen and was able to fix it?

Old 04-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Odd Job
Tourer

Just in case anyone else has this problem of loosing their "sidetone" I followed my hunch and updated and reset the HK System.

I went to the HD site and went to the HK stereo system, downloaded their newest software update package and followed the instructions. I also went a bit further and did a full reset of the system.

The instructions are on the HD website.

There are several modes you can push while you are on the diagnostic screen.

Anyway...not knowing exactly what turned my "sidetone" back on...but I can hear my voice through the headset again in both CB and Intercom mode.....ALL IS GOOD!

Old 04-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Odd Job
Just in case anyone else has this problem of loosing their "sidetone" I followed my hunch and updated and reset the HK System.

I went to the HD site and went to the HK stereo system, downloaded their newest software update package and followed the instructions. I also went a bit further and did a full reset of the system.

The instructions are on the HD website.

There are several modes you can push while you are on the diagnostic screen.

Anyway...not knowing exactly what turned my "sidetone" back on...but I can hear my voice through the headset again in both CB and Intercom mode.....ALL IS GOOD!
In the CB world, we call that talk back. Some pay actual money to get it added to their regular CBs. I do it myself for about 10 cents.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Adventurer
Novice
Default '02 Ultra - No CB talk back or sidetone

I have a 2002 Ultra and when the CB is keyed (PTT pressed), there is no talk-back or sidetone heard in the hemet headsets. In fact, it sounds like the speakers are muted because the Intercom stops functioning as well. This is a problem if riding two-up and you cant hear your co-riders words when they are keying the CB radio. The mics on both the front and back positions/helmets work fine with the intercom, the CB transmits just fine and the headset helmet speakers work fine with the intercom as well as the stereo audio. The speakers only mute when the PTT is depressed (this includes both the driver and passenger PTT switches). Does anyone know if the '02 Ultra has talk-back or sidetone normally? If it does, can someone advise what I could check to resolve this?

Thanks

Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Adventurer
Novice

Originally Posted by Adventurer
I have a 2002 Ultra and when the CB is keyed (PTT pressed), there is no talk-back .....
Does anyone have an '02 Ultra who might be able to help with my question?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I think the problem you're going to run into here is that HD no longer supports this Radio Sounds brand of head unit. Call Radio Sounds and talk to them maybe they will be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.radiosound.com/