Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best audio hookup for Garman 665 with XM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 AM
cchawg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best audio hookup for Garman 665 with XM?

I'm considering a Garmin 665 with XM. What's the best way to hook it up to the Karman audio on a 2010 FLHXSE? If I wire the 665 into the AUX port on the fairing, will my CB talk override the XM like the CB currently overrides the FM and CD music?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 550 on my '09 Ultra and I listen to XM through it all the time. CB transmissions will silence the radio so you can hear them. I would think that the 665 would work the same way as long as you connect it through the auxiliary port.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:54 PM
bikerdude135
6th Gear
Default Warning danger stop

Do Not Even Think About Buying The 665. I have had one for 3 weeks and have updated it three times already. It is the biggest pos that I have ever seen. I have always been garmin proud. I drive for a living and I'm the suporvisor/ trainer for our company and have always told my guys to buy garmin only. I hope that garmin or harley can get to the bottom of my problems (and I'm not the only one with the problems). I purchased all the parts and pieces to mount to the fairing and play thru the radio. I spent nearly $1300. Now I wish I had just left the 350 on the bars and used the cord thru the aux. port. If they get to the bottom of it I'll report back but until then stay far far away. I'm currently in the blam it on the other guy battle. If I return it and get my money back I'll have 3 holes in the inner fairing.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:57 PM
cchawg
Intermediate

I went ahead and bought the 665. Had fade out problems like many others. Harley admitted the problem. They designed a new Navigation Interface Module (NIM) and had it made. It started shipping in September 2011. Those who've gotten it say it solved all the fade out problems they were having.

I'm getting my new NIM next week. Think it will solve my issues too.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:51 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I sorta agree with bikerdude135 on this. I owned and used a Zumo 550 for many years. I decided I wanted the larger screen so I opted to replace it with the 665. I don't like all the "idiosyncrasies" with this device.

1. The first device I bought, I had to return within a week because it stopped responding to the touches of the screen. Of course Gamin wouldn't even think about swapping it out unless I returned ALL the pieces that were in the box with it. What a pain that was being that it was hardwired to the bike uncluding running the harness undert the tank. I'm not a "slap crap together" kind of person so took my time, took the tank off completely, ran all the wiring in the plastic channel under the tank, soldered and shrink-wrapped everything.. Only to have to pull it all out and do it again.
2. Device number 2 came in and I installed it the same way, only this time, no audio from the device at all, not even the device itself. This time I called garmin and told them no way in hell I was removing that fuel tank again and they were going to send one whether they liked it or not, otherwise I would post on all the big forums how crappy this device was.
3. they sent me another "device-only" which was fine with me. Haven't really had any problems with it other than it has a mind of it's own sometimes and will lead you off in a direction you don't want to go.
4. I had already sent my radio into Iron Cross who did an SUPER job of adding rear aux in, ipod port, and rca outputs to the radio so I had no need to try and interface this with the NIM.

I never had a lick of problems with my 550 and sure wish I would have stayed with it. That thing NEVER took me down a bad road.

My .02 worth is the same but for different reasons. Stay away from the 665.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:05 PM
cchawg
Intermediate
Default Garmin 665 wasn't my problem. HD fixed real problem.

Since I started this thread, I'll give all an update.

HD admitted there was a bug in its Navigation Interface Module wiring harness that integrates the GPS turn audio with my FLHXSE's audio system. HD developed a new module, Part 83537-11A I believe. It started shipping 9-21-11, although a few bikers posting in another thread on this problem, called HD Customer Care, got case reference numbers, and HD sent them a revised module earlier than 9-21-11. Those who got the new module posted in another thread that it solved their problem.

My dealer installed the new module in my FLHXSE this week. The volume while listening to XM does not suddenly drop so low you can barely hear it, then comes back in 30-60 seconds to normal, then repeats. As many as 15 times a minute. But no more. XM volume stays up with the new module. Garmin GPS turns audio interrupts as needed, CB radio interrupts as needed.

Garmin said all along that it was a HD interface issue. After looking into it for two months, HD agreed and in 4 months, started shipping a new revised module that works fine. Dealer didn't even make a ticket on changing mine out for the new one.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:00 AM
b1rider
Tourer

Whew, that was close. I almost didn't read the whole post, my newly purchased 665 was going back to the dealer.

I just purchased mine two days ago and it is still sitting on the floor in the original box. Thanks Carl for updating. I am hesitant to move forward, maybe watch the forums a little longer before installing. That's a lot of money for something that doesn't work perfectly.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Garmin 665

Bought one and plugged into aux port on front of radio. Worked fine at first, then started shutting down and when restarted, the lady's voice sounded like Alvin the chipmunk. Called Garmin, sent in old one and they sent me a new one. Worked like a champ until I took a long ride in August, and the music I had loaded into it (MP3) started slowing down like playing a record too slow. Turned it off, and it reset and seems to be working ok now, but it's December and cool. If I didn't like it so darn much, I would buy something else.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:12 PM
cchawg
Intermediate
Default Problem was Harley's NIM wiring harness, not 665!

Another update: Since the dealer installed the new revised Navigation Interface Module wiring harness mentioned above (see HD Part number above), my 665 has worked perfectly. I've taken three long trips since October and the 665 never acted unpredictably once. I think Harley figured out the problem in 200their Navigation Interface Module and fixed it. They are making available the new revised NIM to all dealers who are installing them free, apparently.

The 665 is my fourth Garmin. They all have worked excellently. I won't leave home without it anymore. Even when I don't plan to use it to navigate. It's also my satellite radio, mp3 player, etc. Garmin was right from the beginning. The problem wasn't their 665. It was Harley's wiring harness.

Carl Crawford
2010 FLHXSE, Rinehart True Duals, ThunderMax ignition, 20,000 miles
2003 FLSTD Softail Deuce, 30,000 miles
Madison, MS, where we happily ride all year round!