Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle GPS suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM
badinc1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle GPS suggestions

I'm looking at getting a motorcycle GPS for my 2000 Deuce.
I'm not too "up" on what's good and what isn't in the GPS world.
I'm looking for something to use for back road riding and no highway.
It's starting to get old riding the same loop everyweek on back roads, and would like to be able to find new places to ride using back roads.
The only thing that I've read on the internet is to stay away from the Garmin Zumo 660 as they have a lot of problems, and so far.... most say the Garmin Zumo 550 is a better unit. I don't know much more than that ?
Any suggestions good or bad ?
Thanks for your input and help.
Bobby.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Dallas 13
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Garmin Nuvi 550 unit that I put in a RAM Mount right ahead of the left grip.
Works great, semi weather proof. I have used numerous GPS devices and teach their operation. Garmin generally produces th best devices, though I have not used the Zumo's. RAM mounts makes holders for about anything.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
badinc1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dallas 13
I have a Garmin Nuvi 550 unit that I put in a RAM Mount right ahead of the left grip.
Works great, semi weather proof. I have used numerous GPS devices and teach their operation. Garmin generally produces th best devices, though I have not used the Zumo's. RAM mounts makes holders for about anything.
Thanks Dallas,
I know that the Garmin Zumo 550 comes with both a Ram mount that uses a u-bolt to mount it to the handlebars, kinda like a muffler u-bolt clamp set up, and... it comes with a auto mount, so you can use it on both your bike and your car, which is kinda nice.
I know of some people that have the Zumo 550, and 660, and the ones with the Zumo 660 say that they have a lot of problems with it downloading and that the touch screen is hard to use with gloves on. Most like the Zumo 550 better. I haven't talked to anyone other than you that owns a Nuvi model. Do you know what is different with the Nuvi vs. the Zumo ? Is it any cheaper. I had one person tell me to go and just buy a cheap GPS for a $100-200 bucks and get a waterproof box for it that costs about $75 bucks. He said that the Garmins are to expensive for what they are. I can't really say, as I've never owned a GPS. So I have to take owners words and suggestions. Thanks for the help Dallas, and any more input you can give me.
Bobby.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Dallas 13
Tourer

The Nuvi models are touchscreen, and I haven't had too much trouble with gloves on, and I have XLarge hands. Though the Nuvi isn't rated as vibration resistant, they are very well built and I have been using my 550 for road trips for 3 years. I have tried other makes, and the earlier models were definitely of lesser quality, accuracy and ability than Garmin; they have been catching up, but in my opinion, there is still a gap. Some may opt for the lesser cost of various models, but like so many other things in life - you get what you pay for.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 AM
badinc1
Cruiser

So Dallas,
If you were going to go out and buy one today, what would you get, a Nuvi or a Zumo, or something totally else ?
Thanks for your help and input,
Bobby.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Dallas 13
Tourer

I would likely go with the Nuvi; because I am familiar with it, and it works great.
At least a Garmin.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

checkout zumoforums.com

Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Daddy-O
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Nuvi 1390LMT mounted to my windshield. I bought this mount http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...item1c191ef578 that replaces one of the acorn nuts on the windshield but there are other similar mounts for handlebars. Here's a couple of pics of how it looks with the GPS and just the cradle. When not in use you can remove the black cradle from the ball and it's pretty discrete. It has been stable for the year I've used it but I'm guessing it's not as secure as the RAM mounts.

I installed a cigarette lighter adapter where my highway bar meets the frame (you can see it in the first pic) to power the GPS on longer rides and allow it to give traffic updates.

I chose the 1390LMT because I wanted to use this in multiple vehicles and when I travel. It has a wide screen, bluetooth, lifetime maps and lifetime traffic updates. The Garmin site has a good model comparison capability to help you choose.

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle GPS suggestions-img_7377b.jpg   Motorcycle GPS suggestions-img_7383c.jpg  

Last edited by Daddy-O; 03-29-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM
badinc1
Cruiser

Thank-you Dallas, Sharknose, and Daddy-O,
I'll check them out.
I'll be mounting mine on my handlebars on my 2000 Harley Deuce probably with a Ram ball mount next to the clutch lever with the u-bolt clamp and Ram mount.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:38 PM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Garmin Zumo 450 that I bought over 2 years ago. I rely on it whenever I am away from the local area and have never had any problems with it. I have used Garmin products for 10 years and believe they make the best GPS, either for car or motorcycye. I intend to purchase the new Zumo 665 as soon as my 450 fails (can't quite justify the cost until then!).
Steve.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle GPS suggestions