Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****J & M ROKKER's INSTALL & REVIEW ****

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 PM
welldigger
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The speakers will be just a bolt in application. Or screw in in this case. The stock wires will plug right in. As far as performance, I would pm or email john at JM. I know the rockers were designed to be used with an amp. This may not be what you wanna hear but you should hold off taking the bike apart until you do the whole set up. At least some kind of amp. Just my opinion. I'm sure john will point you in the right direction.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:54 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

timinfl22,,,,,

the J&M ROKKER series speakers, both front and rear, will perform very well connected to your stock Harley HK radio WITHOUT an amplifier being added ,,,,,,

then when you ARE ready to add an amp, get one of the big J&M amps and REALLY rock-n-roll ,,,,,

Dr V-twin will take very good care of you ,,,,,,,

we appreciate very much your business ,,,,,,,

Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by timinfla22
So I hate to admit it but I just can't afford the Rokker amp at the moment. I just got off the phone and had an excellent conversation with a Dr Vtwin rep and ordered a 4 piece Rokker set of speakers to replace the stocks on my 2011 RGU.

My question is will there be a difference without an amp? Are there other amps out there that are a bit more, um, cost-effective? Or should I just save up for the Rokker amp as well (which I hear is coming out for the RGU here in a week or so for about $the same price as for the batwing fairing).

Also, is this kit since it's speakers only a simple plug N play affair or do I need to do any re-wiring/cutting/etc.

Thank you for the amazing write up!

Tim
Tim,

Please let us know how you like the Rokkers without an amp. I am in the same boat as you. I just don't think I can afford to do it all at once...

Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

They sound far better than the stock speakers without an amp. the difference is extremely noticeable and your music will really rock. Add the amp as funds allow and then your system will be lethal!

Drew

Old 04-22-2011, 01:23 AM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet write up! Hopefully this helps the people that are on the fence about what system to purchase.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:44 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Johnnyboy, I agree 100%. Excellent write up and certainly backed by someone who knows what he's talking about!

But.... LOL.. i'm gonna give me .02 worth

Folks. Again, from someone who spent a lot of years in the audio industy installing and fine tuning systems from $1000 to $45000 on the cager side, it all boils down to this fact; It's a motorcycle and it's cruising down the road at 80MPH carrying an infinite amount of some kind of wisdom from every walk of life (this would be you) in it's saddle. Every single person out there will interpret every single frequency in a different manner. Whether you buy J&M, Boss, JBL, Sony, Kenwood, Klipsch, etc doesn't really matter. What matters is whether you like it or not. To invest a bunch of money in an audio system for your ride, love it and admire what you've done when it's complete, then allow yourself to be "persuaded" to think differently about it based on what someone else's sounds like is foolish at best. You will very quickly realize that you have found yourself in a vicious circle where someone out there has something that will sound better than your's does. Upgrade your stock speakers, if you can afford a decent amp upgrade that too and move on.

I'm not a big fan of the J&M speakers, but I am of their amps and chose to go the route of a cheaper amp, actually a "no-name" amp. Why you ask? At 80MPH in the wind, the fidelity is NOT there, I don't care who you are. Remember, it's a motorcycle.

So buy what you can afford to buy, install what you like, throw your leg over her, and enjoy what you have.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 08-01-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johnny,

It made me smile when in this thread you noted the superiority of vinyl records to any digital format. I am an audiophile and music lover with an extensive record collection and couldn't agree with you more. I will be doing a complete system with subwoofer on my bike next week and am looking forward to the results. Thanks for your detailed thread.

Shakey

Old 01-25-2012, 06:55 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Bump

People need to know about this thread!

Old 04-28-2012, 01:15 AM
pachpilot
Stage I

Best thread yet!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 AM
bluethunder110
Novice

Another bump on this thread to keep it active. I have a 2011 CVO Ultra classic and was ready to buy the 500watt amp but I'm not really wanting to remove the factory amp at this time. I better see if Dr Vtwin is still selling J&M products.

Quick Reply: ****J & M ROKKER's INSTALL & REVIEW ****