Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****J & M ROKKER's INSTALL & REVIEW ****

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:07 AM
snowman2010
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JohnnyBoy--

Thank you for your efforts, thoughts, and opinions. It's truly appreciated by many regardless of the sound system we may own.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:26 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Johnnyboy......Thank you for taking the time to do this. Considering we are talking about listening to music at 70-80 mph, I will not purchased J&M's Rokkers or Amp as I think the products are entirely overpriced/over-marketed compared to other available speakers and upcoming amps. In the end, it's a motorcycle with two speakers in your face at 80 mph. Spending over a thousand for that setup is just silly. If you're trying to impress people at the bar...that's another story, but for touring, I'll have to pass.

You stated, "At 80 MPH+, I can't distinguish between the Booms and the Rokkers at all!!!"

That tells me the Boom! speakers with a 2 channel amp will be adequate for me. Thanks again.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

JohnnyBoy,

THANK YOU!!!!

Wow, what a write-up. I don't have a CVO RGU; don't ride with a tour pak with speakers; and don't use the HD amp that's on your bike. But I do appreciate your expertise and the efforts you made for a fair comparison of the OEM Boom speakers and J&M's Rokkers.

Pity the bike mags don't have you available to write comparison articles on the multitude of audio products that have recently become available from HD and numerous aftermarket vendors.

Thanks, again, for the write-up.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 04-07-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:00 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Johnny, thanks for your objective opinion. That was a very well written review of both systems.

Drew

Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM
hdsoftail01
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Johnnyboy, awesome post. Thanks for the time you invested to help us all make a better decision on where to spend our hard earned dollars.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 AM
welldigger
3rd Gear

Johnnyboy,
I recently installed the JM speakers with the 500 watt amp on my Ultra. The thing is crazy loud and the mids and highs are insane! It feels like your head is right underneath a snare drum when it hits! The system really lacks low end all the way around, I cannot get any bass out of it regardless of settings. My question to you is, you say you can feel the rears hitting you while riding. Does your CVO come with the BOOM Audio bass ports installed? I'm thinking of adding them to see if it brings out more bass in the system.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Rokkers with the same 500 watt amp on my FLHX and the bass is excellent. I can feel the Rokkers on my face and chest. The bass is clear and well articulated, and actually shakes the bike at louder volumes. They do not reproduce subwoofer type bass, but I wouldn't expect them to as they are midrange woofers.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:06 AM
sick1
Tourer
Received 627 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy
The rear Rokkers have titanium in them I believe.
Thanks, spit diet coke all over my computer.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 PM
timinfla22
Advanced

So I hate to admit it but I just can't afford the Rokker amp at the moment. I just got off the phone and had an excellent conversation with a Dr Vtwin rep and ordered a 4 piece Rokker set of speakers to replace the stocks on my 2011 RGU.

My question is will there be a difference without an amp? Are there other amps out there that are a bit more, um, cost-effective? Or should I just save up for the Rokker amp as well (which I hear is coming out for the RGU here in a week or so for about $the same price as for the batwing fairing).

Also, is this kit since it's speakers only a simple plug N play affair or do I need to do any re-wiring/cutting/etc.

Thank you for the amazing write up!

Tim

Quick Reply: ****J & M ROKKER's INSTALL & REVIEW ****