Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****J & M ROKKER's INSTALL & REVIEW ****

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know much about the Booms. I had some high end 6 1/2" car audio speakers I had put in, they had large ferrite magnets and were heavy.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 AM
vtwin1340
Club Member

The Booms sound good in the videos. Thanks for doing the testing JohnnyBoy.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:49 AM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, just wanted to let everyone know that the Rokkers are being installed tomorrow by Dr. V-Twin. I will be there to document the event. Just to let everyone know, the ONLY thing that is being installed tomorrow are the Rokker Fronts and the Rears. The stock amplifier (160 watt Boom) and the head unit are remaining stock.

SUNDAY: Will be the day to get the Rokkers out into the same locations and conditions as last Sunday when we did the testing of the stock Boom speakers.

As written (and displayed) above, the Booms sound pretty darn nice for a high end factory option (standard on the CVO's). I'm not really certain that there is that much more room for improvement in an aftermarker direct replacement system such as the Rokkers. We'll see this Sunday!!!!! To be continued...................

Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

First, thank you for undertaking this project and using your professional experience.

If you haven't seen these already, I'd appreciate your comments regading the test data supplied in them. The first is from Hogtunes:

http://www.hogtunes.com/techzone_fil..._speakers1.pdf

The second is test data regarding J&M's 7.25" speakers:

http://johnscrip.com/html/blog_files/jm725speakers.php

I know you have the Boom/Rokker comparison to do, but if you have any thoughts on the test procedures, data, etc. in the above links I'd enjoy reading them.

Thanks, again, for your work on the comparison.

Carl

Old 03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

Harleypingman: The hogtune tests seem to really be splitting hairs. I also don't understand why they used a Hafler Amp to power the speakers. This is a rack mount amp, i.e. screw it into a 19inch rack. Now I'm not saying their tests are bogus, not by any means, what I am saying is that there going at it in a real scientific way which in my opinion (just my opinion) is not realistic in the real world. Science is perfect, Music is not, albeit their findings are correct in a "Perfect" bubble.

The other guy did a really good job at what he was trying to acomplish. His attention to detail is there and his results are quite a bit more "Real World". Albeit, again though, he tried to put to much scientific "fact" into it. What I did get out of this gentlemen is that on the speakers in question, J&M 7.25's, he is having a problem in the 300-600Hz range. These frequencies give depth to a recording, giving vocals and other instruments a strong sense of presence. It is also an area that can be problemsome depending upon the genre of music.

In the 20+ years dealing in professional audio, I can say I have made both good and bad decissions relying on manfacturer testamony alone, and as I became more educated in my field, I really let my own "ears" make the decisions for me. This is one of the reasons there are so many posts on speakers and which one is the "best". The cold harsh reality is that there all the "best" for some, and the not so "best" for others. It's just the nature of the beast of listening to audio on a motorcycle in an uncontrolled environment. The best advice I can give to people (and it sounds like your doing this already) is just get out there and LISTEN!!!! LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN with your OWN ears. You will find the BEST speakers for YOU!!!!

Back on the subject of the Rokkers, I'm already impressed with the Booms. The Rokkers will have their stage set shortly.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

JohnnyBoy, THANKS!!! I appreciate your observations on the links posted and the narrative of your evaluations.

Look forward to seeing more of what you have to say.

Thanks, again.

Carl

Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

JohnnyBoy,
Great write up so far there has been a lot of debate and opinions out there I like your real world approach it is exactly what we have all been looking for. And coming from a man with you talents this should help all of us immensely.
Looking forward to the remainder of your posts and thank you for your time and effort Give a shout to Shawn and Drew tomorrow they got a real kick on my True Dual Rineharts on my HD Edition Escalade EXT when I came in and bought my J&M speakers from them.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:44 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

UPDATE: Were having a heat wave here in Los Angeles, was 101 in the San Fernando Valley today.

Got to Dr. V-Twin. Al and Angel tackled the install of the J&M Rokkers!!! Here are some pictures of the install.

Before the pictures, I must give a teaser about the Rokkers. You all know I am going to beat these sukkers up this weekend like I did the Booms last Sunday and follow up with a hands on report but I must tell you something that I wasn't expecting. The Rokker rears were thumping me on my back as I road home from Dr. V-Twin today. Yes, I felt the speakers in the rear which I did not with the Booms. Take it for what it is, but it amazed me that I could feel and hear the rears for some reason. Anyhow, Sunday is the day.....

Old 03-31-2011, 11:32 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

They sound like a WINNER!

Drew

Old 04-03-2011, 02:56 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default technical question

ohm rating on systems and speakers. I think my 2003 had a 6 ohm speakers on the gm delco radio. i put some 4 ohm jl audio speakers in the bike it sounded much better than the stock 6 ohm ones. Heres the question since the jl had a 4 ohm rating does that mean that the resistance of the jl was less than the original speakers. I am wondering with the a 2 ohm lower rating gave these speakers a bit more power to be driven.
I now have a 2009 ultra with hk radio. I had some distortion with the stock speakers when the volume is over half way up the volume scale. I tried hog tunes but it wasnt much better. I decided to try my jl audio 4 ohm speakers on the bike and they sound better, but they also start to distort with the volume a few more bars higher than stock or hogtunes , I think they sound louder also before they distort. i have heard that I may get a fault code saying a blown speaker if 4 ohms were used, so far that hasnt happened
Im not sure if the problems are the speakers or the radios ability to drive the speakers. With the new hk radio being 2 ohm and the jl being 4 ohm does this mean the resistance is higher and it takes a bit more power to drive these speakers . looking at jm corp amp readings the 4 ohm speakers on their amp has about 25 % lower watt readings then used with 2 ohm speakers. 125watt 2 ohm and 70 watt at 4 ohm. i getting tired of spending money and not getting much of an improvement. I liked the sound of the jm speakers with 250 watt amp when I was at daytona biketoberfest but, the bike was sitting still and I'm not sure it would be better at 70 mph. Th jm bike had the speakers in the lowers , dont think they were on the market yet at the time. I plan to put dynamat in the fairing inner and outer and see if that improves the sound. Waiting to see the results of all the testing in this post.

Quick Reply: ****J & M ROKKER's INSTALL & REVIEW ****