Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****J & M ROKKER's INSTALL & REVIEW ****

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for taking on this project. I look forward to reading and seeing your evaluation.

This "Audio" forum is pretty new, and doesn't get nearly as many views as the "Touring" discussion forum. For more visibility, why not post in the Touring forum?

Thanks, again, for taking on this project.

Carl

Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 PM
2mean2like
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johnny,
Are you going to use the analyzers on the HD Boom Speakers? Give a before and after report?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

Hi Guys, sorry for the delays. We have been having some wet weather here in Los Angeles that has hindered the evaluation. The factory "Boom" testing is almost complete and should be reviewed here in a few days. Aside from the J&M test CD, I am using a sine wave reference sweeping the highs, lows, and mids. The reference signals I am using are AES (Audio Engineering Society) and consumer reference levels. The areas of interest will be the midrange of the factory "Boom" vs the "Rokker" in the 300hz to 5Khz range as well as the high end responce.

I am partial to this mid range of frequencies because I feel this is the quantifying bottom end of what can be reproduced at speed. Without getting too technical, I think we can all agree that anything below 100hz will be very difficult to reproduce at 85 mph. This is because frequencies at this range are "felt" and not heard. This is why your "Bass" channel of your Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1 system in your living room can be placed anywhere in the room. Bass is "felt" and not heard at these frequencies.

I am preparing online video and still pictures of the installation of the Rokkers on my CVO harley. I am also going to plot graphic responces between the Boom and the subsequent Rokkers. This is all going to take some time, 2-3 weeks. I promise you a complete and thorough evaluation.

In closing, I have no vested interest in J&M Audio. I am a professsional Audio Engineer working in the Motion Picture and Television Industry for over 25 years. My goal is to give back to HD Forum members my expertise in Audio in an unbiased review. Please join me on this ride.......

My 2011 CVO FLTRUSE (1 week ago. Border of Santa Barbara County/Kern County, Southern California,6000 Feet Elevation)

My 2005 Softail FatBoy FLSTFI (after 6 years, almost as expensive as a CVO LOL!!!! Same location, 3 months ago)

Last edited by JohnnyBoy; 03-22-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy

Guys, this review if for the new Rokker line of speakers only in comparison to the factory BOOM series ONLY!!!!

Yes I know J&M makes other quality products but this install and unbiased review is for simple factory replacement only. J&M sent test material (audio) to compare the factory "BOOM" speakers to the new "Rokkers" from J&M. Stay tuned for a comprehensive review of this product!!!!!!!!!!
If it's being installed by a "consumer", how can you possibly call it "unbiased". You'll either like it or you won't, but you will be biased one way or another. The only way you can be "unbiased", is if you stirctly keep your report to numbers, and not opinions. Opinions are bias.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

Jeff, Your comments are not without merrit. Lets let the numbers speak for themselves. As far as my own bias, there won't be any. If I don't like them, I'll just report my findings and move on. After dumping 43K cash on a bike whats another 1-2K really to find a good pair of after market speakers? I see you are a J&M Customer. How do you like their amp? Did you install it yourself? I'm paying a J&M reseller to install my speakers. I have absolutely no interest in wrenching this new CVO. Rather just spend the money on someone who knows what their doing.

Last edited by JohnnyBoy; 03-22-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:15 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't want to hi-jack your thread, but I will answer your question. I hope not to turn this into a debate as so many of the other J & M threads have turned into. My personal experience with J & M is: I did the install, and while I'm not mechanically inclined at all, I found this relatively easy, which surprised me. After installation I was initially VERY pleased with the system. I find it to be much, much better than stock. But after reading so many complaints, I think I allowed myself to be "corrupted" if you will by other's negative comments about lack of bass. When I listen to it now, I think they may be right, and I might possibly be replacing the speakers with something else in the near future. That being said, I can still hear my music (or talk radio) loud and clear at any speeds, and I have a short 4" windshield and Rinehart duals, so I'm still relatively impressed, because I could definitely not do this with the stock Harley stereo. After having the system for a couple of months I blew one of my speakers. I called Dr. V-Twin (who I bought the system from), and they informed me that for replacement I had to deal directly with the manufacturer. I did, and they replaced the speaker within a week. I was very pleased with both Dr. V-Twin, and the manufacturer's customer service dept.

All in all, I think that for what I paid vs. what I got, I can't complain. The speakers might not be the best, and there may be some better ones out there for me which I'll look into in the future, but for 559.00 I've now got a much better stereo than I had before, and that's what I was looking for. The install was pretty simple and straight forward, and the before and after assistance from Dr. V-Twin and the J & M corporation were pleasurable. And obviously, my comments here are biased and opinionated, but I think they're also fair and not condemning to anyone. As with any product/stereo component, it's all an individual decision as to what makes them happy. Basically, I'm happy with mine.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:59 AM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

Hey Jeff, no hijack felt here brother. I am very grateful for the time it took you to post your response. I don't feel that you came across biased at all. You just laid it out as truthful as can be.

Bass is really complicated in a non-static environment, i.e. on the road with the engine roaring at 85 MPH. There is a compromise we all must take as bikers to be on the road and not in a static "Cage". I'm not really sure there is a "holy grail" out there Jeff, just for the reasons stated above. Can there be a realistic compromise though? One wonders, I know I do!!! Although my decades of expertise have been in a controlled THX environment, I do have friends that "Mix" in sound reinforcement in outdoor environments, i.e., Rock and Roll shows. 20 years ago the best mix to the driver/rider (performer on stage) was to give a loud powerful mix on stage through the wedgies (wedge speakers you see pointed back to the musicians, also called monitors). Today, the best audio representation is through selective crossovers and delivered through earplugs!!!!! I guess what I'm trying to get at is there are many many ways to achieve a realistic end result. I'm simply here to report back the numbers on what I have, plane and simple. Do you have the Rokkers or the 7.25's? Will you be at Laughlin this year? Let's meet and you can take my CVO out for a spin and hear these things too!!!! PM me if your been in Laughlin.

Last edited by JohnnyBoy; 03-23-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:16 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

I've just got the 7-1/4's, the Rokkers are still so new to the market I don't know if I've seen any opinions on them yet. Wish I could make it to Laughlin, but I'm stuck here in the mid-West until Summer. Thanks for the offer to check out your beautiful bike and sound system though. Hope you enjoy your new system.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:02 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

Quick Update:

The City testing of sample music has been completed for the "Boom" speakers. Highway testing will be performed this Sunday. By Tuesday I should have the video and audio posted here with my findings using the sample CD Audio and reference sine waves.

Although city riding has it's problematic issues in regards to listening to music on our bikes, I can tell you that the stock "Booms" performed very well. I can only imagine that the removal of the city ambiance will sweeten up the "Booms" a bit more. Like I said, the "Booms" performed well, and I will post my findings with video by Tuesday.

The "Rokkers" were delivered today. Like all J&M products they were shipped with every attention to detail. The enclosed documentation is meticulously written and fully detailed. I have been buying aftermarket motorcycle parts and accessories for over 20 years and you can tell that this company takes pride in ALL of their products.

I'm excited to get these Rokkers installed, but there is still work to be done. As I've said above, the "Booms" are performing well and deserved the proper respect of a full spectrum of testing and then documention.

I can't help to think though, that the J&M's are chewing at the bit to get there turn. Were getting closer, stay tuned.......

Last edited by JohnnyBoy; 03-25-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Crusty_SERG
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy
The CVO comes with a factory 160 Watt amp installed under the tour pack. I know J&M sells an amplifier, but this review is for the speakers only. The CVO is an expensive bike for sure, and I am told most most CVO owners frown upon modding beyond pipes, tuners, etc. This review if for the new Rokker line of speakers only.
lol... you obviously aren't a member of the CVO owners board

(OK, I see there is a new member with the same name over there, so I'm guessing it is you?)

really looking forward to your results on the ROKKERs... though given they were designed to handle higher powered amps, not sure how much of a difference the sound is being pushed by the stock CVO amp. Does the amount of power pushing the speaker make a difference in the overall range, or will the numbers (other than volume) be the same?

Great thing about these boards is the broad range of bikes, people, and experience. Thanks for taking the time to use your proffesional skills (and equipment) to do this and share what you learn!

Quick Reply: ****J & M ROKKER's INSTALL & REVIEW ****