Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which AMP Has Most Power Output??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:15 AM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which AMP Has Most Power Output??

I own an '09 Street Glide. I've already added an amp up under the fairing along with 6 1/2 inch speakers in the fairing. But I'd like to have more volume. What's the best amp with the most power available that will mount under the fairing? I'm looking for a 2-channel amp, not a 4-channel amp....and I do not have lower fairings. So, I'm trying to get the most sound out of two-speakers.

Jim

Old 11-25-2010, 10:58 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Maybe rephrase the question - which Speakers are MOST efficient?

this would be rated at decibels per watt usually tested at 1 metre.

Many, many aftermarket speakers are not very efficient- meaning that although "high power" amps are installed- the speakers cannot translate that electrical power into sound waves.

Part of this problem can be the passive frequency dividing networks in which full frequency electrical signal has the low frequencies drained to ground and the high frequencies allowed through a capacitor/resistor/coil type network to the tweeters.
These networks can easily rob 30% of available power.
I see these "piggybacked" on many of the consumer speakers at bike and car audio shops.

Sometimes a "full range" speaker can sound almost as good tonally as a "2-way" system AND provide MUCH more perceived volume

also "weather proofed" cone material can be less sensitive.

When I last replaced speakers on my old bike ( 1995 FLHTC- just sold it ), I looked at all the right size speakers at my local audio superstore.
I then dialed up a signal that I was familiar with ( a classic rock station)

put the head unit tone controls at "flat", and used the switches to select the different speaker pairs.
It was evident very quickly which speakers produced more sound per watt- I narrowed down by listening to which speakers sounded "most natural"---in the end I spent a whopping $45 on a set of polk audio speakers which have lasted these last 9 years.

BTW paper cone speakers can be "scotch guarded" for some weather resistance.

I recently got into an 09 FLHTC and am quite happy with the volume available from the stock pair of speakers, the low distortion from the HK unit. I do have some quibbles with the tonal characteristics in the high midrange- and maybe look to make a change down the line.

amps- as subjective as speakers wattage ratings are almost meaningless.
many units out there have just horrible distortion specs- less than .02% total harmonic distortion (THD) used to be the golden standard. Now I see consumer units with over 5% THD.
And with the advent of digital switching amps, sample rate or frequency becomes VERY important.

MK
( working in the concert sound world for over 30 years- riding for longer)

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-29-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:47 PM
ethal68
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of amp and speakers are you running now??

Old 11-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The Arc 125.2 is a two-channel, 125W per channel @ 2ohm; 70W per channel @ 4ohm impedance. J&M sells essentially the same amp under their name with wiring harnesses for an easier installation. Both are extremely popular; I have the 125.2 and can't imagine needing a more powerful amp to drive two 6.5" speakers.

Hawg-wired offers several 150W, two channel amps providing 75W per channel @ 4 ohms; and a 300W amp that can be configured for two or four channel operation. The latter is probably the most powerful amp available for mounting inside the fairing
and costs close to $1K.

Good luck with your search.

Carl

PS: If you use the search function you'll find a ton of threads on amps generally, and the Arc and J&M amps specifically. Also, there's a "sticky" at the top of the Touring forum on the J&M amp installation.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:24 PM
03harleyrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the hogtunes are prob the best deal for the money have their amp and speakers on my street glide and recently put the hogpod on plenty loud even with true duals at 90mph down the interstate

Old 11-27-2010, 09:29 AM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer

Thanks for those who responded to my amp question.

My next question seeks your opinions as to which head unit works best as a replacement to the HK unit. I would like to have a head unit with line-out capabilities. I also want to retain the ability to control all functions just as I do now from the handlebar controls. Does such a head unit exist?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 11-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

I did a killer stereo upgrade, back in April. I was told that my ARC mini was a great amp & I should keep it. I did, and have great, loud, clear, undistorted volume & absolutely HUGE bass. I started a thread here. I'm the guy who has the Woofpak in my tourpak. Hertz-Titan speakers up front, were recommended to me by the stereo installer. TERRIFIC sound. If there are speakers out there that are better, I want to know what they are ---- I'll have them! (09 EG Classic)

Old 11-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by HardyHarHarley
Thanks for those who responded to my amp question.

My next question seeks your opinions as to which head unit works best as a replacement to the HK unit. I would like to have a head unit with line-out capabilities. I also want to retain the ability to control all functions just as I do now from the handlebar controls. Does such a head unit exist?

Thanks,
Jim
No, there is no head unit that will, by itself, work with the handlebar controls. Biketronics and Hawg-wired offer outstanding interface modules that are plug and play with a large variety of aftermarket head units to preserve handlebar controls of the head unit--check their websites and/or do a search; tons of folks have used them.

Iron Cross Audio are experts on the Harman Kardon head unit and offer a variety of great services, including adding pre-amp outputs to the HK:

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/additional-services.html

Also, as nice as this Audio forum may become, you'll get far greater responses posting your questions on the Touring Forum which is where almost all audio related threads/information is/are posted.

Carl

Old 11-29-2010, 01:09 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

i agree 100% with mkguitar. a $5000 amp will sound like a $2 amp if your speakers are not quality speakers.

Just like motor-work on your bike. You start with cams and build around that. Here you start with speakers and build around that.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:54 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer

I have more than a simple, basic understanding of audio systems. I do know the speakers are the most important component. If one's speakers can't reproduce the audio sent to them, why spend a cent on high end, high quality power. I get it!

I presently have 6 1/2 inch Biketronic Titan XLs in place of the stock POS factory speakers installed in the fairing. I'm also running the Biketronic amp.

My problem stems from running a D&D Fat Cat Boss 2 into 1 exhaust system. With the exhaust combined with the wind noise and motor noise, etc. I'm having to turn the audio gain on the HK to maximum just to hear some of the music. It might be that I'm asking too much from a single pair of 6 1/2 inch speakers.

That's why I asked the question the way I did.

Quick Reply: Which AMP Has Most Power Output??