Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Lawnboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, this thread has some great information in it. Im in the process of ordering parts for my Road King Custom. No fairing and changed to extended hard bags, im just going to run an Ipod to an Alpine PDX F6 which will run 4 speakers. 2 will be in the 2011 CVO speaker boxes in lower fairings, which I ordered after seeing this thread, I also plan on color matching the speaker boxes and Im going to color match the grills as well. Im going to order a set of cyclesounds hard saddlebag lids and put a set of 6x9's, brand matching the lower fairing speakers.

That Alpine amp has an RMS of 150 watts @ 2 or 4 ohms, so it will run almost any speaker I throw at it. The gains will have to be adjusted perfectly because there will not be a fader on the ipod, so the amp will "be the fader" with its gain adjustments.

Thanks again for the great info and Ill try to remember to take pictures and start a thread for the Road King guys.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Lawnboy,

By all means take some pictures and start a thread for the RK guys; sounds like a very interesting project.

As for my continuing experience with this project, I'm very glad to have the fader control to adjust relative volume between the fairing and fairing lower speakers. And to clarify, the experience is much like a wall of sound; I can't distinguish whether the sound is from the fairing/pod or fairing lower speakers, but I can easily tell if I significantly reduce the volume to one or the other using the fader control.

By the way, the 2011 CVO Street Glide which has the speaker boxes/6.5" speakers from the factory has NO fader control; so it's not essential to the install. My HK radio already had the fader control turned "on" and the lower fairing speakers were wired as "rear" speakers to take advantage of the fader.

Carl

Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Lawnboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Lawnboy,

By all means take some pictures and start a thread for the RK guys; sounds like a very interesting project.

As for my continuing experience with this project, I'm very glad to have the fader control to adjust relative volume between the fairing and fairing lower speakers. And to clarify, the experience is much like a wall of sound; I can't distinguish whether the sound is from the fairing/pod or fairing lower speakers, but I can easily tell if I significantly reduce the volume to one or the other using the fader control.

By the way, the 2011 CVO Street Glide which has the speaker boxes/6.5" speakers from the factory has NO fader control; so it's not essential to the install. My HK radio already had the fader control turned "on" and the lower fairing speakers were wired as "rear" speakers to take advantage of the fader.

Carl
I understand what your saying about the fader, I guess that situation really doesnt apply to me since I dont have a fairing.

I had some self amplified speakers mounted on my crash bar this past summer, they were great for cruising around town, but on the highway over 60mph, they were hard to hear. I think this project I have going will be alot better. Cant wait to order and get this stuff installed.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Lawnboy
Cruiser

pingman,

I tried the part number you gave for the speaker grills:76000065 at zanottis website, but came up with no results. Did you get them somewhere else?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
pingman,

I tried the part number you gave for the speaker grills:76000065 at zanottis website, but came up with no results. Did you get them somewhere else?

Thanks
I ordered them from my local dealer. It happens occasionally that Zanotti's may not have a valid part number in their database. Shoot them an email with the p/n and the item description and see what they say. I know of two other folks who bought the grilles using the p/n.

Carl

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are REALLY gonna give up the storage room in your glove boxes ??.....

just teasin' Carl !! LOL !!

Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would the original speakers(in a 09- SG) fit in the lower boxes.

So I could use the boom speakers in the fairing.

later Johan

Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

OEM fairing speakers are 5.25"; the speaker boxes are for 6.5" speakers.

I'd say "no" on the swap.

Carl

Old 02-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Carl :-)

Old 02-08-2011, 03:57 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write-up, and thanks for the pictures. Very nicely done.

Quick Reply: 2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics