Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 01:32 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuce Bigelow
another question about the HK radio.
I'm assuming that if 4 speaker operation is only an option that the dealer can activate, then the HK radio has a separate amp for rear speakers already built in? The rear speaker outputs on the HK are "live" so you can get an output signal from them. The dealer DT turns on the "fader" function.
then can't I just wire the speakers in the lowers without an amp? You can have four speakers without an amp and with the fader control; that's the way EG Ultras are wired, for example. My experience with the Hogtunes fairing lower speaker kit wired to the rear speakers without an amp was that I couldn't hear the lower speakers, and even with the Hogtunes amp added I couldn't hear them; so, I removed them and sold the amp and kit. Others may have a different experience without the amp, or with the HT amp. The current set-up works great.

do you know how the '11 CVO Street Glide is running the speakers in the lowers?
is it using an amp for the speakers in the lowers, or are they powered by the HK radio? The CVO SG has an amp which provides the signals to the fairing speakers, tweeters, and lower speakers; but, without a fader control.
A buddy has seen the CVO lower speakers and they are marked as 1 ohm impedance. Here's the wiring diagram showing the wiring of the amp and speakers:

http://

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 11-24-2010, 01:53 AM
213sleeper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this looks like a good setup. Does anyone know how just the J&M lower speaker would sound on its own? I have a 2011 Road king I would like to put lowers w/ speakers in with an Ipod. Is this do-able? is it worth it for a road king?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
A buddy has seen the CVO lower speakers and they are marked as 1 ohm impedance. Here's the wiring diagram showing the wiring of the amp and speakers:

http://

Good luck with your project.

Carl

AHhhhhh.................

I see how the '11 CVO SG is wired now... the fairing speakers AND the lower speakers are in parallel on each side, but what doesn't make sense is the lower speakers being 1 ohm....

the way you did it IS the best way!
There's no sense in doing it without an amp on the lower speakers, and the fader control makes it more adjustable.

Thanks for all the info!

I think this may be added to my winter projects! LOL!

Last edited by Deuce Bigelow; 11-24-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:23 AM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Damn good write-up, Carl.
^^Plus 1^^ thanks for all the info!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 03:00 PM
MoChrome
Tourer

Question for you guys...

I have a Hogtunes amp and lower speaker kit that I pulled from my 07 Ultra before trade in.

Will using the HD speakers in the lower fairings driven by the Hogtunes amp be a substantial improvement over the Hogtunes 5.25 lower speakers?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

While riding, I couldn't hear the fairing lower speakers when I had the Hogtunes fairing lower speaker kit with HT amp installed on my bike. The lower speakers were wired as "rear" speakers through the HT amp, and the Harman Kardon radio was set-up for four speakers with fader control. But that was just my experience with the HT kit; your experience and others may be different.

I hope others will try the CVO speaker boxes/6.5" speakers with and without amplifiers; and, with different amps than the Arc 125.2 I use.

When you had the HT kit on your Ultra, could you hear the lower speakers while riding? Perhaps you can start a thread on the HT kit and ask what others experience has been with that. I've read posts by a few that their experience was the same as mine.

Carl

Old 11-24-2010, 05:47 PM
MoChrome
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
While riding, I couldn't hear the fairing lower speakers when I had the Hogtunes fairing lower speaker kit with HT amp installed on my bike. The lower speakers were wired as "rear" speakers through the HT amp, and the Harman Kardon radio was set-up for four speakers with fader control. But that was just my experience with the HT kit; your experience and others may be different.

I hope others will try the CVO speaker boxes/6.5" speakers with and without amplifiers; and, with different amps than the Arc 125.2 I use.

When you had the HT kit on your Ultra, could you hear the lower speakers while riding? Perhaps you can start a thread on the HT kit and ask what others experience has been with that. I've read posts by a few that their experience was the same as mine.

Carl
With the Hogtunes lower kit on my Ultra I couldn't really distinguish two separate sound sources from the fairing or lowers. It was more like a single "wall" of sound is the best way I can describe it.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Those look great... and bet they sound great too

Old 11-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by MoChrome
With the Hogtunes lower kit on my Ultra I couldn't really distinguish two separate sound sources from the fairing or lowers. It was more like a single "wall" of sound is the best way I can describe it.

Thanks for the reply; my experience was different. Perhaps having the HT HogPod tweeters which tend to dominate the sound while riding was the reason I didn't hear the lower speakers; and, with the Arc 125.2 being more powerful than the HT amp, I'm now able to hear sound from the lower speakers.

Carl

Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Great write-up and thread Carl(Harlypingman)!!!! Thought i would give this a "Bump TTT" as i somehow missed it and thought some others might of as well!!!..Rock-On!!!!..........o~`o........................

Quick Reply: 2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics