Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
My HD speaker grilles and screws came in today--hooray!!!

Carl
And NO pics yet ??? C'mon Carl !!!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Runamuck
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine installed and put some Polk speakers in them. I wired them in series with my Biketronics 6.5 fronts. Sounds good but not quite what I want yet. I think I am gonna go ahead and put the J&M speakers in the fairing and see how that is.

John from J&M also told me the Harley lower speakers are 1 ohm, can anyone confirm that?
Don't know enough to know how that would affect wiring the amp.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Runamuck
I got mine installed and put some Polk speakers in them. I wired them in series with my Biketronics 6.5 fronts. Sounds good but not quite what I want yet. I think I am gonna go ahead and put the J&M speakers in the fairing and see how that is.

John from J&M also told me the Harley lower speakers are 1 ohm, can anyone confirm that? Just heard from a buddy who had the HD speakers in hand; they are stamped "1 ohm" impedance.

Don't know enough to know how that would affect wiring the amp.
Take a look at this link and scroll down to the "water pump" example of amp/speaker impedance:

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

I assume (always dangersous) that your HK isn't set-up for four speaker/fader control. If so, you might try splitting the left/right front signals by simply tapping each with additional + and - wires. The original wires can go to the speaker, and the additional wires to the amp inputs. This shouldn't effect the impedance seen by the HK head unit since there won't be any load on the speaker wires running to the amp. You can then adjust the relative volume between the fairing and fairing lower speakers using the gain control on the amp. By increasing the gain on the amp signal going to the fairing lower speakers, you won't need to have the volume set as high on the HK head unit and you should get a greater sense of the sound from the fairing lower speakers.

By wiring the fairing and fairing lower speakers separately, you should have the capability of changing the relative volume between the two pairs of speakers (by increasing the volume of the fairing lower speakers relative to the fairing speakers) allowing you to hear the fairing lower speakers better than if both pair receive the same signal which is what happens if the pairs are wired in series or parallel. The 2011 CVO SG has no fader control and I haven't heard that system except sitting on the showroom floor which has zero relationship to what the system delivers going down the road. My own experience has been that the fairing lower speakers need a higher volume signal relative to the front speakers to deliver a sound sufficient to be noticeable going down the road. On my installation, I can get that difference in relative volume from the fader control, but also from the gain control on the amp.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 11-19-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
And NO pics yet ??? C'mon Carl !!!
GP, patience, my boy, patience--pictures to follow shortly.

And have you ordered vented lowers so that you can add two more speakers to the bike? Bet a couple of 6.5" subs would fit and rock, at least at bike shows/nites.

Carl

Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Okay; got a chance to install the HD OEM speaker grilles this evening, retaining the 6.5" Infinity Reference 2 ohm speakers I used instead of the HD OEM 6.5" speakers used in the 2011 CVO SG. The installation was pretty simple using the OEM screws that take a T20 bit. The pictures are self-explanatory.

http://Name:  DSC01442.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  39.5 KB

Right side:

http://Name:  DSC01437.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  47.4 KB

http://Name:  DSC01438.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  80.7 KB

Left side:

http://Name:  DSC01439.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  50.7 KB

http://Name:  DSC01440.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  51.5 KB

Hopefully I can get the speaker boxes color matched within the next few weeks, though the current unpainted boxes and grilles don't look bad at all. The following are the p/n's that have been referenced elsewhere in this thread:

1. HD 6.5" speaker ea., 77034-11, list price $87, includes grille and screws; (items 2 and 3 are provided if you don't want to use HD's speakers);

2. HD speaker grille ea., 76000065, list price $37;

3. HD screws ea. 10200012;

4. HD left speaker box (prime), 57410-11, list price $31;

5. HD right speaker box (prime), 57419-11, list price $31;

6. HD wire harness (jumper) from speaker to quick disconnect at triple tree, 72676-11, list price $8 ea.; and,

7. GM/Delphi GT 150 sealed connectors for quick disconnect speaker wiring:

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/861

But for the paint, this project is done, and has been a real improvement in the sound system providing virtually a wall of sound while riding. Note: my installation uses the Harman Kardon head unit to drive the fairing speakers (like a stock set-up) and the speakers are the same as used in the fairing lowers; and, an Arc 125.2 amp drives the fairing lower speakers, with the amp getting its audio signal from the HK rear speaker outputs, and the HK head unit is set-up in four speaker mode with fader control. Also, because the gains on the amp have been adjusted to their midpoints, the HK volume reads at half or lower while riding down the road or cruising the interstate. Based on this, I doubt I'll have much interest in adding a four-channel amp; the two-channel Arc 125.2 works fine.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 11-19-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

Harleypingman,

how do you get your HK radio set up to do 4 speaker operation??
is it a firmware upgrade?

I have the harness for the XM module, is that the same harness you need for the rear speakers?

Old 11-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuce Bigelow
Harleypingman,

how do you get your HK radio set up to do 4 speaker operation??
is it a firmware upgrade? Your radio may already be set-up for four speaker operation; just scroll through the audio controls (volume, bass, etc.) and if "fader" appears, you're good to go. Otherwise, the dealer needs to use the Digital Technician to program the radio for that function. There's no charge from MOCO for the download, so my dealer did mine for free.

I have the harness for the XM module, is that the same harness you need for the rear speakers? I don't have XM, but typically the addition of a module requires use of the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 90169-06, so you probably have the harness already. The harness is used to connect the rear/fairing lower speaker wiring to the rear speaker pinouts on the HK radio. The harness will have labeled connectors for right and left passenger controls; the speaker wires you will want to connect to are in those connectors. Alternatively, you can simply splice the appropriate rear speaker wires from the 35 wire socket and connect them to the speakers via the GM/Delphi connectors rather than the connectors in the overlay harness. Another alternative, which is what I did, was to remove the appropriate rear speaker wires from the 35 wire connector and replaced them with wires and sockets going directly to the GM/Delphi connectors. This way I didn't have to create mating connectors for the passenger connectors in the overlay harness, or splice the original wires in the 35 wire connector; simply taped those off and replaced them with the wires and sockets inserted into the 35 wire plug and running the wires directly to the speaker connectors.
If you don't already have one, get a Service Manual. It has wiring diagrams showing the wire assignments in the rear of the HK radio along with a ton of other good information. Good luck with your project.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 11-23-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:09 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Carl,

Those grills look good !! The flush mount is WAY better than the raised set I saw........

Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
If you don't already have one, get a Service Manual. It has wiring diagrams showing the wire assignments in the rear of the HK radio along with a ton of other good information. Good luck with your project.

Carl
another question about the HK radio.
I'm assuming that if 4 speaker operation is only an option that the dealer can activate, then the HK radio has a separate amp for rear speakers already built in?
then can't I just wire the speakers in the lowers without an amp?

do you know how the '11 CVO Street Glide is running the speakers in the lowers?
is it using an amp for the speakers in the lowers, or are they powered by the HK radio?

Old 11-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Runamuck
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand, the CVO SG is powering all 6 speakers wired in series with one amp.

Quick Reply: 2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics