Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 AM
emtglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look great thanks now I have another winter project for my painter

Old 10-10-2010, 06:29 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Dr Tiki ,,,,,,

the lower speakers you see in the videos are our CURRENT 5.25" speaker set-up, with adapters, that we are installing at BIKETOBERFEST etc ,,,,,,

they utilize the stock inner and outer lower Harley fairings ,,,,,, and have the grills with the mounted tweeter and midrange to match our 7.25" fairing speaker grills ,,,,,,

They are very cool, but are not a complete new design with the J&M 7.25" speaker ,,,,,,,

By early 2011, the J&M 7.25" lower speaker kits will be released, and they will include the new injection molded piece, to replace the stock innards, just like Harley is offering, only the J&Ms will hold the 7.25" speakers and new grills with mounted midrange and tweeter to match the J&M fairing speaker grills ,,,,,,,,,,

Old 10-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Just a heads-up that I edited the original post to include the mating connector for the sealed end of the OEM HD speaker harnesses used. This is the vendor and shows the parts purchased:

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/861

Carl

Old 10-17-2010, 12:40 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent, thanks for sharing. Now i've got a new reason to change my lowers...

Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Runamuck
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pingman, thanks for writing this up.
Got my new speaker boxes in and getting ready to put them in the lowers on my RGU. Gonna hook em up to a J&M amp that I had installed at Biketoberfest and am planning on running the Infinity speakers to start with.
Just wondering if you have had any issues yet with them getting wet or if anybody has any better suggestions for speakers that I can buy without having to order something expensive.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

The speakers have gotten wet with the bike parked in rain with no ill effects, yet. I'm waiting for the OEM speaker grills (should be in next week) and will check the speakers then when the Infinity grilles are removed. I had the Hogtunes fairing lower speakers previously and simply removed their covers to dry the speakers (worked fine for a year+) though I never sprayed water at them when washing the bike.

As for other speakers, there are relatively inexpensive marine 6.5" speakers that others have used in the fairing speaker location you may want to consider.

Also, I've adjusted the gain settings on the Arc 125.2 amp to just shy of their midpoint. This effectively raises the volume of the signal from the amp to the lower speakers, and allows the HK head unit volume to be reduced for the same sound from the speakers and allows the HK amp to run at a lower volume setting taking load off the head unit amp. Don't know if you can adjust gain on the J&M amp; the gain controls are probably under the J&M label. With the gain adjusted, the HK head unit volume is half of full volume according to the bars shown on the display.

Take some pictures as you do your project and start a thread. Your installation will be different since you're installing the lower speakers on an Ultra that already has four speakers, so I'm sure others will be interested in how you wire the speakers, among other things.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 11-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

I just ordered my speaker boxes tonight. It may be awhile before I get to install them because I will have to replace my air cleaner in order for them to fit correctly (spent the rest of my budget this time on the iPod Interface) but I figure while I decide on a direction for a new air cleaner, I can get the speaker boxes sent out to be color matched.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Runamuck
Pingman, thanks for writing this up.
Got my new speaker boxes in and getting ready to put them in the lowers on my RGU. Gonna hook em up to a J&M amp that I had installed at Biketoberfest and am planning on running the Infinity speakers to start with.
Just wondering if you have had any issues yet with them getting wet or if anybody has any better suggestions for speakers that I can buy without having to order something expensive.
Originally Posted by Dr. Tiki
I just ordered my speaker boxes tonight. It may be awhile before I get to install them because I will have to replace my air cleaner in order for them to fit correctly (spent the rest of my budget this time on the iPod Interface) but I figure while I decide on a direction for a new air cleaner, I can get the speaker boxes sent out to be color matched.
Runamuck and Dr. Tiki, hope you guys will start threads on your projects. Having had the speakers installed for a while; completed the wiring with the Delphi connectors; and, adjusting the gain controls on the Arc amp, I'm very pleased with this mod. By comparison with the Hogtunes FLSK kit and amp that I couldn't hear while riding, this actually works really well.

I've learned a couple of things along the way. First, I wanted to use the same bracket that the 2011 CVO SG uses to secure the speaker conduit at the base of the tripple tree above the engine guard, and discovered that the part shown in the parts catalog supplement for that bike is the wrong part; it's not the same part that's on the bike. The parts guys at the local HD store are trying to find the right one by talking to MOCO, but no joy, yet. If I get the correct part no., I'll post it.

Haven't had the speaker boxes removed for painting, yet, but hope to get this done in the next couple of weeks.

Carl

EDIT: Also, the speakers for the lowers are p/n 77041-11 and list for about $87 ea., and include the grille and screws. The grilles are p/n 76000065 (list for $37 ea.) and the screws are p/n 10200012 if you want to use other speakers.

EDIT2: The OEM CVO Street Glide 6.5" speakers are 1 ohm impedance which may pose a problem depending on how they are wired to the HK radio or add-on amp.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 02-25-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

I was going to ask about the part # for the Harley speakers. When I looked them up I wasnt sure if that price was for a pair or single speaker. There was no indication of either where I was looking at it.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

My HD speaker grilles and screws came in today--hooray!!!

Carl

Quick Reply: 2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics