Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:02 AM
ScottieB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awsome. Looks like a less expensive alternative to Hog Tunes.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Good info thanks for sharing!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks sweet. I never thought I'd do this but you have me thinking seriously hard about it.
I don't use the glove boxes for anything anyway.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:03 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Carl great write up once again. Hope you get it all wired up and sounding good soon!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:48 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

great write up thanks

Old 10-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up Carl. Would you say the color of the boxes is close to the color of the stock glove boxes?? Would they look food unpainted in vivid black or would they look unfinished.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Ditto on the write up!!!!

This has me interested as well, but I won't do it having any speakers wired to the head unit. That seems like a waste. I'll wait for the 4 channel ARC amp. I already have the two channel and have been very happy with it. I may even wait for the J&M 4 channel amp along with their speakers for the lowers since I have the J&M 7.25's and have been very happy with their sound.

Question, what made you decide to wire the fairing speakers to the HU instead of the amp? Why not vice versa since the majority of the sound you'll hear will be from the fairing speakers. I think I know the answer, but would like to hear what you have to say.

Also, I just tried to have a look see at the HD grills and can't get the part number to come up. I even tried the speaker box part numbers with no luck. Are they not listed on the HD site? Even on the Zanottis site, the grill part number doesn't come up. The speakers do though.

Man, a lot of editing here. Just saw that the ARC 4 channel IS out. List price on the ARC site is $519.00.

Last edited by r8rs4lf; 10-08-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Great write up Carl. Would you say the color of the boxes is close to the color of the stock glove boxes?? Would they look food unpainted in vivid black or would they look unfinished.
For me, I wouldn't have any problem leaving the speaker boxes unpainted; but, I think the cosmetic improvement by color matching them is worth the modest cost of painting them. Unpainted, they remind me of the Hogtunes Hog Pod before it was painted. However, I'm extremely reluctant to the point of refusing to say anyone would be satisfied with the unpainted speaker boxes on their bikes.

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
Ditto on the write up!!!!

Question, what made you decide to wire the fairing speakers to the HU instead of the amp? The fairing lower speakers need the amplified signal and fader to be heard distinctly IMO. I had the HT fairing lower speaker kit with their amp previously and could not distinctly hear anything from them with the fairing speakers driven only by the head unit with fader control. I removed the amp and kit, and sold them. Also, I have the HT Hog Pod and had no problem hearing the fairing speakers and pod before installing the Arc 125.2 amp. Before selling the HT kit, I wired the HT fairing lower kit to the Arc amp with the fairing speakers and couldn't distinctly hear the lower speakers, probably because I didn't have the fader control since all speakers were tied together, not wired separately "front" and "rear."

Also, I just tried to have a look see at the HD grills and can't get the part number to come up. I even tried the speaker box part numbers with no luck. Are they not listed on the HD site? Even on the Zanottis site, the grill part number doesn't come up. The speakers do though. If you use the part no. given for the HD 6.5" speaker, it will come with the grille and screws, at least according to the 2011 CVO Street Glide parts book. The part no. for the 6.5" speaker grilles only is 76000065. Don't know why Zanotti's website doesn't recognize many of the components from the '11 CVO SG sound system. For example, it doesn't recognize the amp, p/n 77041-11. My local HD store's computer had no problem with any of the part nos. except the fairing speaker grilles, and I didn't ask about the 6.5" grilles as a separate item.

Man, a lot of editing here. Just saw that the ARC 4 channel IS out. List price on the ARC site is $519.00.
I saw your thread on the Arc 125.4. It won't fit on top of the HK radio in an EG. I phoned Arc and spoke to a knowledgeable tech rep who told me the 125.4 is too tall/deep and the fairing's slope hits that amp preventing the outer fairing from being installed.

I'm off to the HD store parts counter to see about buying the correct mating connectors for the weather seal connectors in the speaker harnesses.

If you're considering this project, read the Hogtunes instructions for their kit referenced in the orignal post. There may be another way to drill the fairing lowers and speaker box to route the speaker wires, but adapting the HT procedure served me well. Also, it helps to have the HD Service Manual for projects like this. And the only reason I can consider wiring the fairing lower speakers as "rear" speakers is that I have the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06 on the bike to access the radio's rear speaker pinouts. Otherwise, you will be tapping/splicing the front speaker outputs and have to deal with impedance issues of series or parallel wiring of two pairs of speakers to a single left/right two-channel set-up.

Thanks for the props on the write-up.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 10-10-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

That's what I figured! You want more power to the lowers so they can be heard.

Well, let us know how it sounds. This sounds like a project I wouldn't mind doing although having many speakers wired to two channels on the amp isn't something I would like to do. Too much load on the amp. See my 4 channel thread.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:02 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting project.

Quick Reply: 2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics