Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:31 AM
2011_Glide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harleypingman,

Your welcome. Thanks for all of the information. I will go back through the thread and find the prices. I see that alot of people are going to this. I thought about it before I deployed when I first seen a CVO in the dealership. But, didn't want to spend the $$$..

Old 02-11-2012, 03:23 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am probably going to go with Boom! Audio stuff just because I am getting a pretty good deal at time of purchase. I have heard it and it sounds good enough for me. My initial plan was the Road Glide fairing speakers the 5.25" lower fairing pods and the boom amp. After seeing the part numbers here for the 6.5" and CVO pods, does anyone know if the CVO 6.5" speakers will work with the Boom Audio accessory amp?

Old 02-11-2012, 05:08 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
John,

3 questions:

Does anyone make a rear (passenger) pod that takes bigger speakers,..

.and what is the esimated attendance at the Reno bike week ??

Will your lower speaker boxes be 'lower vent' functional ??

Thanks
Yes they do. I have a set that are made by Junes Upholstery they hold 6.5" speakers look real nice and are very well made. they mount using the factory holes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...item45ff389f89

Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
I am probably going to go with Boom! Audio stuff just because I am getting a pretty good deal at time of purchase. I have heard it and it sounds good enough for me. My initial plan was the Road Glide fairing speakers the 5.25" lower fairing pods and the boom amp. After seeing the part numbers here for the 6.5" and CVO pods, does anyone know if the CVO 6.5" speakers will work with the Boom Audio accessory amp?
The OEM CVO SG 6.5" speakers are 1 ohm impedance; the HD accessory amp is 2 ohm impedance. So, the CVO speakers for the lowers are not compatible unless they are wired in series in which case the amp would "see" 2 ohm impedance.

Carl

Old 02-16-2012, 12:52 PM
BlkChrome
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.5" speaker pod

ripper43, the speaker pod you purchased from Junes Upholstery seems to be made from fiberglass, concerning the weight issue how much stress is on the tour pack with the 6.5" speakers and do you finding that to be an issue? Also I notice that only 2 were sold is the quality there?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

BlkChrome, give LeRoy at June's Upholstery a call; I'm sure he will answer whatever questions you have--he did for me. As for quality, the pair of 6.5" pods I purchased were fine; and, previously, he recovered a pair of HD OEM pods from the Premium Leather Tour Pak used on the '06 and '07 CVO Ultra TP's and they turned out fine.

The pods I purchased were lined with fabric; the pods seem to be made from an ABS-type plastic--at least that's what I concluded after drilling them with a 2" hole saw to install HD's TP Bass Port kit.

As for "stress," that will be more effected by the size of the magnets of the speakers you use--i.e., the weight of the speakers.

Bottom line: talk to Leroy; the quality is fine, though you will need to drill the mounting holes. Also, you can mount 6.5" speakers using the OEM HD pods.

Carl

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carle,

What was your reasoning for the 6.5 pods ??? Or was that before you heard of a 6.5 that fit in the factory pod ?? Just curious..........

Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

GP, I didn't need the controls incorporated into the HD pods for PTT/vol. and mode/sel. I have the BAMI kit, p/n 77108-09, that separately mounts the PTT/vol. switch and passenger headset connector independent of the HD speaker pods and doesn't need the tour pak on the bike to work.

At $150, the June's Upholstery pods new were a better value than the HD pods IMO and, cosmetically better since they don't include the switches on the sides that the HD pods have.

Frankly, the TP is on my bike very seldom; but, since I was adding a second RF 4-channel amp (using two-channels of the added four-channels for the HD saddlebag lid speakers), I fell into the "since I'm already installing another amp for 4-channels, I might as well ..." trap-- so, I went and added the JU pods, 6.5" speakers, and HD's Bass Port kit.
Nutty perhaps: $150 for pods; $75 for the Bass port kit; $75 for speakers; and a bit of wiring and before I knew it I'd spent $300+ for something that won't be on the bike much. But, having tested the system w/o riding the bike, I'm sure I'll be happy to install the tour pak and enjoy the two additonal speakers (eight total) and, approx. 700W of output from the two amps.

Personally, if I already had the HD pods w/ 5.25" speakers, I'd find some compatible 6.5" speakers and install them in the HD pods. I'm no audiophile, but I believe the sound from the 6.5" speakers has to be better than what's provided by the 5.25" speakers provided the speakers are equivalent quality.

Carl

Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Carle,

What was your reasoning for the 6.5 pods ??? Or was that before you heard of a 6.5 that fit in the factory pod ?? Just curious..........
Now you have my curiousity. What 6.5" speakers will fit in the factory pods. I'd be very interested.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkChrome
ripper43, the speaker pod you purchased from Junes Upholstery seems to be made from fiberglass, concerning the weight issue how much stress is on the tour pack with the 6.5" speakers and do you finding that to be an issue? Also I notice that only 2 were sold is the quality there?
It is wood covered with glass so no worry about weight. IMHO they are very high quality. I am pretty picky so if they were crap, I'd never have put it out there.

Quick Reply: 2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics