Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Really like this write up. Trying to figure out how you did it. And would like to know if possible Step by step.

These do not look long enough to reach into the fairing. Guess you run them along the crash bars , up the neck and into the fairing. Heard from the Dealer the wires are about a foot and a half long . Seems short to me.
Where do they plug into.

And this is for the speaker and grill

HD parts: 6.5" speaker, p/n 77034-11 includes grille and screws, $177.78 for two, list price.

I was wanting to try a Focal Speaker if I could find one in 2 ohm that is 6 1/2 inch wide.

Also, the speakers for the lowers are p/n 77041-11 and list for about $87 ea., and include the grille and screws. The grilles are p/n 76000065 (list for $37 ea.) and the screws are p/n 10200012 if you want to use other speakers

And this is what else was listed

1. HD 6.5" speaker ea., 77034-11, list price $87, includes grille and screws; (items 2 and 3 are provided if you don't want to use HD's speakers);

2. HD speaker grille ea., 76000065, list price $37;

3. HD screws ea. 10200012;

4. HD left speaker box (prime), 57410-11, list price $31;

5. HD right speaker box (prime), 57419-11, list price $31;

6. HD wire harness (jumper) from speaker to quick disconnect at triple tree, 72676-11, list price $8 ea.; and,

7. GM/Delphi GT 150 sealed connectors for quick disconnect speaker wiring:
http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/861

But for the paint, this project is done, and has been a real improvement in the sound system providing virtually a wall of sound while riding. Note: my installation uses the Harman Kardon head unit to drive the fairing speakers (like a stock set-up) and the speakers are the same as used in the fairing lowers; and, an Arc 125.2 amp drives the fairing lower speakers, with the amp getting its audio signal from the HK rear speaker outputs, and the HK head unit is set-up in four speaker mode with fader control. Also, because the gains on the amp have been adjusted to their midpoints, the HK volume reads at half or lower while riding down the road or cruising the interstate. Based on this, I doubt I'll have much interest in adding a four-channel amp; the two-channel Arc 125.2 works fine.

This is part of what I understand.
I don't understand how to wire everything.
Can any help be offed on how or where I'm wiring the speakers from the lowers to.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

cardboard,

If you are considering this project for your Ultra without adding an amplifier, you should take a look at this link for wiring speakers:

http://www.bcae1.com/srsparll.htm

The above link addresses matching speaker impedance to the source of the audio signal going to the speakers and the impedance "seen" by the music source depending on the speakers' impedance and whether the additional speakers are wired in series or parallel. For example, if you added 2 ohm impedance speakers in the lowers, they'd need to be wired in series so that the HK radio (the music source) "saw" 4 ohm impedance. I'm not a tech or audio guy, but Iron Cross Audio is and they've said it's ok to run the HK into 4 ohm impedance. If you wired the additional 2 ohm impedance speakers in parallel, the HK would see a 1 ohm load which would, according the above link, damage the HK.

If you use a two-channel amp, you could split the front or rear audio signal from the HK and send one of the split signals directly to the rear speakers, for example, the other split signal to the amp, and from the amp to the speakers in the lowers. This avoids the series/parallel impedance matching issue because the HK radio won't "see" any load for the signal going to the amp. You can read about this at Hogtunes website in their "tech zone" since that's how they wire their amplifier/rear speaker pod kit. The impedance of the speakers in the lowers should match the output impedance of the amp.

As for wiring the speakers in the lowers to the music source, I used the HD jumper harnesses from the speakers to the center of the engine guard, and a mating quick disconnect to take the speaker wires inside the fairing to the amp using items 6 and 7 in the list. You could use speaker wire directly from the speakers in the lowers w/o the quick disconnects, or use insulated spade terminals in lieu of the parts I used for quick disconnects. The disconnects simply make removing the lowers easier to do since without them it would be necessary to remove the outer fairing to disconnect the speaker wiring for the speakers in the fairing lowers.

Another alternative if you are using an amp is to send the HK unit to Iron Cross Audio to have pre-amp outputs added. Those pre-amp outputs can be used for connectin to an amp, and the speaker level outputs can still be used for audio signals to speakers; in your case, for example, using them for the TP speakers. I know of one guy who did this with his '08 CVO Ultra when he installed speakers in the fairing lowers.

I'm not a tech or audio guy, so I'm not comfortable advising or recommending doing something different than what I found worked for me. Consequently, when someone like you asks how to do something differently than what I've done, I refer them to reputable sources for information like the "Basic Car Audio Electronics" and Iron Cross Audio. I'll also recommend using the search function to find similar installations. For example, Sprint12's installation is mentioned in this thread, and he subsequently did a separate thread on his installation. Because of the variety of amps, speakers, music sources available, and HD models, members doing this mod are encouraged to start their own threads explaining what they did because it's almost certain what they did will in some way(s) be different from what I did.

Good luck with your research and project.

Carl

Old 05-10-2011, 06:50 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

If anybody finds out how to wire the speakers in the Hard lowers to the rear speakers I would like to know. As I plan to do this setup with the Rockford Fosgate Amp and speakers.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

you might also want to take a look at these ,, http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....252GTM-T&PF=45 ,,,

Old 05-13-2011, 04:26 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Is this not the amp everybody is waitin on ?

http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_...~prod_id~28467

Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cardboard
Is this not the amp everybody is waitin on ?

http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_...~prod_id~28467

yup.....
it's not out yet.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:21 PM
RancherPete
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What model year do these CVO speakers boxes fit on? I have a 2000 Ultra

Great information here regarding the installation of these 6.5" speakers in the CVO boxes with amps, etc. I have the Hogtunes 5.5" speakers in my lower fairing and see a significant improvement when using my Arc Audio 125 mini amp. Great setup BUT, since enough is never enough, I am interested in installing these fairing lower speaker boxes in my 2000 FLHTCUI and wonder if they will simply swap out with the old glove boxes (?). It looks liek they will but I'm having trouble confirming this. The Harley dealer can't even answer that question so its up to the smarter guys on the board I guess. Please let me know. Thanks... and thanks for this detailed and inspirational exposé on stereo improvement.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:46 PM
sprint12
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RancherPete
Great information here regarding the installation of these 6.5" speakers in the CVO boxes with amps, etc. I have the Hogtunes 5.5" speakers in my lower fairing and see a significant improvement when using my Arc Audio 125 mini amp. Great setup BUT, since enough is never enough, I am interested in installing these fairing lower speaker boxes in my 2000 FLHTCUI and wonder if they will simply swap out with the old glove boxes (?). It looks liek they will but I'm having trouble confirming this. The Harley dealer can't even answer that question so its up to the smarter guys on the board I guess. Please let me know. Thanks... and thanks for this detailed and inspirational exposé on stereo improvement.
If you have the vented HD lowers they should just swap out.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:19 PM
RancherPete
1st Gear

Sprint12: Thanks for your reply. I am not actually sure if my lowers are considered 'vented' or not. They are just the stock lowers that came on an Ultra Classic in the year 2000 and to be honest with you I do not know the difference between vented or non-vented and I am not sure what to look for in order to determine this. Can you offer any additional advice? Sure would be grateful to anyone who wants to jump in! Thanks again. Here's a picture of my scooter if it helps:

Attached Thumbnails 2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics-dscn0280.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 04:31 PM
RancherPete
1st Gear

Sprint12: I just checked out your orange bike (tasty!) and I saw one image where it shows the vertical vents in the front of the fairing lowers. Hence the name: Vented Lowers (I'll wake up eventually). I have never noticed those before and that's why I was not familiar with the term. Nope... I do not have those types of lower fairing and I am now disappointed beyond belief! I wanted to install those 6.5" speakers in the worst way! Thanks again. Maybe I can fabricate something eventually. Wouldn't be the first time.

Quick Reply: 2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics